1953 Super Hood Installation Question

WillBilly53

I assume you mean the hood opens from the front when you say alligator style? If so the hinges need to be open so you can get the bolts in.

As for advice, I would start with protecting the windshield so the hood cannot slip and crash into it while you are getting the bolts started. Then I would recommend having a helper ( two helpers is even better) so you can hold the hood from each side, lay it onto the top of the hinges and then get at least one bolt 90% finger tight in each side before releasing your grip on the hood. Getting all the bolts in each side before releasing the grip is overkill but I still recommend it.

I would also check the hinge to body bolts before starting and I would recommend you grip the hood with one hand on the fender side and one hand on the cowl edge. Hang onto that cowl edge while starting your bolts to the hinges.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply John. Yep, it opens from the front. I think I was getting confused because right now the hinges are installed in the hood, but now I get it - I need to remove the hinges from the hood, install them to the cowl and THEN install the hood to the hinges. I'll see about borrowing my neighbor and maybe Lamar to help out. Thanks for the advice!

Guest martylum

Hi Will----I'm going to be reinstalling a 53 Roadmaster hood soon and have already mounted the hood hinges on the cowl as it's one less item to hold up and the hinge bolts go in from the inside of the cowl. Yes it's a big heavy hood and I think a 3 person job to get the bolts into the hood at the hinges safely without damaging people or the car. Putting a folded moving blanket over the cowl and glass area seems like a good safety measure just in case. Best to trial fit the bolts to the hood and then lubricate the threads for an easier quicker go.

Marty Lum

1953 Buick 76X

Thanks for the reply John. Yep, it opens from the front. I think I was getting confused because right now the hinges are installed in the hood, but now I get it - I need to remove the hinges from the hood, install them to the cowl and THEN install the hood to the hinges. I'll see about borrowing my neighbor and maybe Lamar to help out. Thanks for the advice!

I understand I'm raking leaves this weekend, but maybe I can sneak away Saturday afternoon? Got Fat Tire I presume.

I understand I'm raking leaves this weekend, but maybe I can sneak away Saturday afternoon? Got Fat Tire I presume.

I always have Fat Tire on ice. :) Saturday would be perfect. My neighbor Dan is in and I've got a buddy Tim who might can help out too, so don't sweat it if you can't make it.

Thanks Marty!

Edited by WillBilly53 (see edit history)

...and the hinge bolts go in from the inside of the cowl...Marty Lum

1953 Buick 76X

On a 53 the bolts holding the hood hinge to the cowl go from inside the car to the engine compartment? If thats the case then I suppose you could leave the hinges attached to the hood but it would probably be near impossible to align the hinge to cowl bolt holes.

Guest martylum

The hood hinge bolts go into the hinge from the kick panel area under the dash. Not a handy spot to access while trying to hold up the hood.

Marty Lum

53 Buick

WillBilly,

Could you put some undersized pins in the firewall bolt holes, so your "helpers" don't have to support the whole weight of the hood, while you crawl under the dash.

OR could you put a bolt or two in backwards, just to support the hood, while you start a couple the right way ?

Just something to ponder............

Mike in Colorado