1916/17 Dodge Brothers Information

Ron Lawson

I am quite certain that Roy Brister had forgotten more than I will ever know about 4 cyl D.B cars but I can help with a photo I believe but everyone needs to understand that everything takes time, relax, give it a few days if need be.

I do not mind and enjoy looking for the answers myself but the time involved is just tremendous unless of course you would prefer that answered are just spewed out without regards to accuracy, I know no-one wants that so just give it time.

post-34730-143141749034_thumb.jpg

Thank you everone so much for all of you help.Things are under way tp procure a speedo and a battery guage WE still need to know what the tail lamp looks like Did these early DBs have a brake light too? thank you Ron

Ron.

There is no brake light but I modified the inside of the taillight with a double filament bulb wired to a brake light switch.

bob

post-34730-14314174904_thumb.jpg

Edited by bobs1916 (see edit history)

Hit nail on head. A lot of time goes into research.

If you are interested the D.B club sells a CD set ( 4 or 5 cds ) of all their old back issues, the info found within these is tremendous. Its a great place to start if you are interested in living up to the Roy Brister JR title.

Cheap by the way, maybe 40 bucks

Thank you Jason and Bob you have been a big help. This thanks comes from Jack to you all He is now restoring with confidence now There is nothing worse than spending days restoring a bit only to find its not off your model and this is the problem he has had in the past Cheers Ron

• 2 weeks later...
If you are interested the D.B club sells a CD set ( 4 or 5 cds ) of all their old back issues, the info found within these is tremendous. Its a great place to start if you are interested in living up to the Roy Brister JR title.

Cheap by the way, maybe 40 bucks

Jason. Thanks for the time and effort that you put into this. I don't have a vast amount of years left to learn the teens and 20s like Roy did. I got to know Roy through Mike at DCV. We were hauling cars and parts for him. Also sold him a 2004 Dodge dually p/u. Roy was a really neat guy and a lot of fun to be with. Roy Brister is extreamly missed along with Mike Northcutt from DCV, Tom Bryant from Plydo and Al Smith from Ram. A lot of knowledge and talent gone in the last 10 years. :(

• 8 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Ogreat1, What model N/E starter/generator is on your car? On a '16 it could be a 4 wire model D OR a Model G single wire.  You mention one brush is broken That means you should have the other one for physical specs. On the model D they use 4 curved bar brushes and very hard to find. 

On the model G both top brushes (main brushes) are identical. The 'third' brush on the bottom is for charging circuit and physical dimensions are basically the same except the top brushes are copper infused carbon while the bottom brush is plain carbon AND slightly thinner. They are getting hard to find in original condition. Aftermarket units are available. check with DBC vendors. 

• 2 months later...

Ron, It looks like you have a retired Military truck. It would not have starter/generator or battery and that ignition switch would, I believe, be different with NO electric lights. Also be aware there were two different Roller Smith ammeters. The early one fastened to dash with three screws in rim and handled starter current as well as charging current. The one like shown in your pix is later '16-'17 and mounts with rear bracket. It handles ONLY charge current and will NOT work as a replacement on earlier cars with the Model D starter/generator. Check with Doug 'Nearchocolatetown' for more info on the military trucks and dash, etc. Also remember the dash boards for RHD are all different as well.