Erratic gas gauge question.

414TATA

Re: 1941 Buick. My gas gauge was never still when I had 1/4 to 1/2 tank but seemed to register fairly accurately. But the last couple times I put gas, ( I am sure I have a least 1/2 tank) the gauge floats mostly at empty moving to 1/2 once in a while but very erratic. :( Maybe the sending unit? If so how difficult is it to replace? Any ideas?

I have never filled up since I have owned the car. Usually keep 6 to 9 gallons in the tank.

Thanks

Wayne Burch

1941 Super 51

post-78086-143141720625_thumb.jpg

Guest Grant Magrath

If your 41 is the same as our 39, you'll have to drop the tank (not difficult) and test it with a multimeter. They do go bad, but sometimes they lose their ground and need a bit of a clean up. Replacement is easy!

Cheers

Grant

Guest Grant Magrath

Plus hidden hinges, putting door handles in line with the belt moldings, and inventing the fast back! I'll give you those. But you can't have Crowded House, Split Enz, or pavlovas. You can have Russell Crowe if you want.

Cheers

Grant

Here in the wilds of western New York our temperatures annually range from -10 or -15 F. to 100 or 105 F. A 30 degree differential on a day is not uncommon. I keep my tanks full. That minimizes the amount of moisture bearing air in my tank. Droplets of water will form on the metal walls as condensation, then drip into the gasoline and rest on the bottom of the tank. They pit and perforate over time.

Rear ends, transmissions, and engines do the same thing over time. I have had pure water flow from drain plug openings and I have had to braze rust holes in oil pans from cars that sat for long periods.

The newer interest in car of the 1980's and 1990's brings in tank mounted electric fuel pumps. They need fuel volumes to cool their motors. Never run less than a quarter of a tank. Full is best.

During the summer I like to top the cars off every Sunday evening. If I put at least two gallons in each that means I drove around 30 miles. The car had to start away from home once anyway, the cooling system had to work, the brakes needed to be used, the engine, transmission, and rear end came to operating temperature and drove off moisture, and I had ay least an hour of driving time to feel any developing anomalies.

These are good reasons to keep the tank full. GM never learned how to make a decent fuel gauge anyway. And I think it helps to always maintain the highest value of my cars.

Bernie

GM never learned how to make a decent fuel gauge anyway.

Bernie

Yeah. The fuel gage float even sunk in my 1915 Buick. My 96 Century reads full until it reaches about 1/2 a tank, and then it drops fairly quickly. My 82 Riv also needs some fuel gage attention.... Is that a large enough range of years for a debate??? :P Dandy Dave!

My '40 LaSalle read BACKWORDS for the longest time. It got oriented right when I had the tank reconditioned and took the opportunity to replace the sending unit. It's accessible through the floor of the trunk, but I never bothered until the tank was out.

Bernie in Brockport--do you know Dr Orbaker? If so, say hi for me.

--Tom

• 3 weeks later...
Guest greg walsh

Anybody know where I can get a gas sending unit for my 35 41 series? Thanks, I drove it to work a couple of months ago a sure enough, I ran out of gas. Any help would be appreciated! Greg.

Google, "gas tank sending unit repair" and you will come up with some places that will repair your original unit. Also there is info on repairing it yourself if your are inclined to do so. Dandy Dave!