1920s Tourer

Vintman

No idea yet what this is but it is not Studebaker. Their tourers of this era all had suicide front doors. The style of fenders/mudguards/wings with the edge like that suggests a date of 1918-1919. The radiator appears to have its filler protruding slight forward from the slope at the top which would be a distinguishing feature.

Vintman - There seem to be very few photos out there of the mid to late teen Westcotts. The hubcaps seem to have a W on them and it is very similiar to the picture that I found (unfortunately copyrighted). My Grandfather owned an unrestored 1920 Westcott. Prior to my Dads death, the car was sold to the Westcott Foundation in Springfield, Ohio.

Chuck

Thanks NZ for your thoughts but I note that 23/23 Studebakers had rear opening doors. Should I discount a Stude? Thanks Dave but it seems to me that the Buicks of the period had sidelights which were remote from the windscreen? Hi Woodfiddler, I have looked at the Wescotts on the web and while there are some striking similarities, I have also found some discrepancies. Initially I thought it might be one but on further research I am having my doubts. Any other thoughts folks? Thanks and Regards Vintman

Vintman.I have cheked my 1500 pages book 2 times and couldn`t find the right ones.The upper pressing on the door seems to around the dash to,just wonder if the cowl lights are thin or if they are sitting just below the windshreen,and not on the cowl?

Leif in Sweden

Like Leif I too have had a good look through The Standard Catalog and the nearest I can come up with is Commonwealth for that moulding along the side of the body, although I can't find a pic of a car that looks exactly the same. They were one make that retained that separate edge on the fenders through to about 1921 where most other makes had a rolled edge from 1919 or so. If you look closely at the front wheel of the mystery car it looks to have less rim retaining bolts that the rear wheel. I think the rear wheel has 6 but the front has only 4 or 5. Yes the cowl lights are something seen on few cars of that era. I suspect the windshield visor is an aftermarket item.

• 10 years later...
On 1/12/2013 at 5:09 PM, Vintman said:

Hi Folks, Got this enquiry from the USA asking for identification. Regret have no further info. Seems to have sloping rad going to a ridge. Could this be something like a cca 1922 Studebaker?? Bonnet (hood) seems a bit short?

Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org

post-58492-143139333367_thumb.jpg

1921 - 1922 Earl Model 40 Touring

Manufacturer : 1921 - 1923 Earl Motors, Inc. - Jackson, Michigan.

1922-Earl-4-Door-Motor-Car-1285-Earl-Motors.jpg

• Like 2