1958 Buick Limited convertible

Guest nzgirl

Guest nzgirl

Hi, Can anyone help please? I'm a serious buyer who wouldn't muck you around so to speak. After all this time I am still after a complete 1958 Buick Limited convertible ( I know its a hard one ) to keep the limited 2 door hard top company in my garage. Missed out on one last year as the Forum put out a few warnings and I got a bit hesitant. Coming over for 3mths in June so would be able to view if you have one. Fingers crossed.

Thanks Carolyn:)

I don't have specific knowledge of a car for sale, Carolyn;

but despite their low production numbers, '58 Limited convertibles

aren't as rare as you'd think. Many have been restored. Your

'58 Limited coupe is much scarcer!

A want ad running for several months in Hemmings Motor News,

and in the magazine of the Buick Club of America, may bear fruit

for you. And because the economy here is slow, be sure not to

overpay!

All the best to you in your search.

Now that red Buick convertible is quite the car, yet presents some interesting questions. At first glance a restored beauty, with lots of detail pictures.

Second glance, why is the Buick emblem on the trunk askew, and is that the original black paint showing through where emblem is supposed to live? Why take a picture with an emblem out of place? Was the car repainted "resale red" when a black car would also be striking?

Third glance, it's a shame the trimmer didn't know how to do smooth biscuit tufting, and look at the mismatched end panel on front seat.

Fourth glance, engine compartment detailed some, but not to standard of body of car, and trunk, while original, is a shock after seeing outside of car.

If you find out what they're asking for car let us know, very interesting....good luck with your search....

David, on the red Limited for sale by the American dealer,

the emblem on the trunk doesn't even belong there. It looks

like a plastic stick-on emblem from a 1980's Buick!

I prefer to buy from fellow hobbyists--those of good character,

known to fellow club members, who have had their car for

years and know it well.

Guest Rob McDonald

That modern stick-on script appears to have been applied to balance the dealer's badge on the other side. It's come apart, though, and the black shadow is the adhesive still stuck to the car. Five minutes with a razor blade and some paint thinner and it's gone.

"MORE CHROME & STAINLESS TRIM THAN ANY OTHER CAR EVER PRODUCED" Uh, no, actually every other Buick model that year had way more acres of brightwork on the rear quarters. There's two big pieces of rear bumper missing, while most other trim alignments and gaps are pretty haphazard.

TRIMACAR, I defer to your expertise but this seems to be a mix of original and replacement upholstery. The door panels and dash are saggy, like tired originals, while the seats are lumpy, like not so good re-dos. I see what you mean - the seat pattern of the car in the Netherlands is much crisper, with well-defined "biscuits". Off-hand, though, I can't say which is more accurate for a '58 Limited, as Buick sewed them. I think '57 Roadmaster convertible seat tufting actually looked more like that in the US car. I normally love the silver leather in these '58s but this actually looks just grey, as described by the seller. What's with that?

The faded carpets have got to be original. What is that material, by the way? It's the same as what was in my '57, with a fine, cut pile about 1/2" long. It's very soft, more like teddy bear fur than nylon carpet and without that telltale nylon sparkle. It's lovely but I've never seen replacement carpet quite like it.

The engine compartment is okay and serviceable, certainly not show quality. Notice that nothing was re-galvanized and there's been no attempt to preserve or replace any stickers.

CAROLYN, if this car runs and drives real well, it would be in the condition that I'd be most interested in owning. That's because I like to drive and have no interest in showing and earning judging points. NADA pegs these cars at $85,700 tops (Hagerty says $115,000 - take your pick), while an average price is said to be $55,600. That's where I'd put this car because there's easily $30,000 to be spent in raising it to 400 point status, probably more.

Because this flaky vendor doesn't say how much he wants for his lovely Condition #2 car, feel free to suggest whatever price suits you. If that makes you at all uncomfortable, be sure to look at 60FlatTop's post on http://forums.aaca.org/f117/1957-roadmaster-coupe-sale-ebay-342897.html#post1117530. He nailed it!

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

Great comments by Rob, John, David... It is terrific that we are able to have folks with the critical eye, and the experience to pass along excellent bits of information, not to be demeaning to the vehicle or its seller, but to be able to advise us with regard to potential defects affecting the correctness, the functionality, and the potential safety of a vehicle offered half-way around the world.

My hat is off to you guys -- thank you.

Guest nzgirl

Great advise thankyou. I will try an advertisement and yes I have looked at a couple on E-bay but they seem really expensive for the condition even though they state Show Car! I did bid on one late last year but missed out.

Thanks Carolyn

A few more thoughts to New Zealand Girl:

Despite the slow economy, asking prices can still be

wildly optimistic. If you have year-old magazines (such

as Hemmings Motor News, the Buick Bugle, or AACA's

own Antique Automobile), it is very possible that cars

advertised many issues ago are still available.

Sometimes it takes a long time for expectations to reach

reality. But dealers have to make money, so their expectations

may remain unrealistically high for a very long time---

So be patient. Sometimes looking is half the fun!

The red LIMITED conv from MILLER MOTORS BUICK in Baltimore maryland was traded in to the dealership around 1963 -64 for a new Buick Electra. Mr Miller decided to keep the car because that was the year the dealership went from Chrysler to Buick . The Limited was silver, with a black top , ran good but had trans problem. I think they replaced the triple turbin with a regular twin turbin. Mileage was around 70,000 and the car was used for Christmas window display and local Buick shows until it was sold when the dealership closed its doors a couple of years ago.

I don't think the car was sold new at Miller. I bought most of my new Buicks from Miller and worked in sales for 10 years after I retired in 1992 . The General manager was a good friend of mine and told me that the people traded the conv and also a 58 limited coupe at the same time! Wonder what size garage they had?

Guest Rob McDonald

BILL, great background! Like someone said - Resale Red was applied. Bright silver with 2 inches of clearcoat would have been much more attractive, I think.

FIREPOWER, I LOVE THOSE COLOURS! The 2-tone green interior is awesome and very unique but I would have stopped at the convertible top. Should be white. Now this is potentially a 400 pointer - look that that trunk!

Notice how the seat pattern is quite flat. I think that's how they were supposed to be.