1967 Cougar XR7 - Something 'new'

I've owned a fair assortment of cars over the years, including imports, trucks, luxury cars, sports cars, micor-cars, etc. One obvious type I have never owned, until now, is any form of American muscle car. I just filled that niche with a 1967 Mercury Cougar XR7 with the 'Super' 289 engine. OK, it isn't a Z28 Camaro or Shelby Mustang, but it's got the factory mags, dual exhaust, and enough power to get someone used to a a 55 HP 1949 MG TC in a lot of trouble. The Cougar is deep red, with the black interior. The XR7 package included upscale trim such as woodgrain dash, center console, full instrumentation, and added stainless trim. The car only has 72,000 original miles, and thanks to a lot of work by the previous owner, runs and drives like new. It is totally stock, having escaped the ravages of hotrodders and time with equal finesse. The interior needs some detail work - chrome and trim have deteriorated and I've already got parts on order to start the rejuvenation. The current plan is to drive her to Charlotte and put her in class judging. Anyway, I am really happy with the car - it is beautiful to look at and fun to drive. What more can you ask?

post-30937-143139300463_thumb.jpg

Nice car. When I was a teenager, my Dad looked at an immaculate, low mileage 3 year old '67 Cougar, much like yours, but the colour combo was reversed. It was sensational looking in black with deep red interior and a 289 4V, engine if memory serves.

I loved the car, but my ever practical Dad decided he should get a more family type of car. We ended up with a '67 Falcon instead!

Hope you enjoy yours!

Keith

When my Dad and I went looking for a car for me in 1968, we went to the local Ford dealer and saw this beautiful dark green/black vinyl top '67 Cougar XR7 with the Dan Gurney package on it. I told my Dad that I wanted a MoPar since he worked for Chrysler Corporation. I passed on the DG Special and got a '68 Roadrunner. That Cougar is a good looker, though.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Hiya! I added more photos - was having issues with the AACA site last night. At this point, I only know the car was bought locally by a fellow TRAACA member back about 2004. I'm trying to track down the previous owner, who lives just a few miles from me in Norfolk. I didn't know the Cougar was for sale until I mentioned to a friend that I was thinking about getting a Firebird or Cougar as a cheap fun car. He told me that a mutual friend and TRAACA member was selling his 67 Cougar. I remembered the car from events and tours, but had not really looked at it. It was at another club member's car lot, so I took off from work to check it out. The car was far nicer than I remembered, and after a test drive I wrote a check on the spot. Not quite the 'cheap' I was planning on, but a great buy for what I got. It has nicer styling than the period Mustangs, and has the advantage of being much less common while sharing all the driveline and suspension parts. I already have a lot of interior trim parts and literature on the way from various Restoration Vendors and eBay. And I have been driving her a LOT! That will probably ease up with the requirement for high-test and fuel milieage only barely in the double digits.

post-30937-143139301125_thumb.jpg

post-30937-143139301127_thumb.jpg

post-30937-14313930113_thumb.jpg

post-30937-143139301133_thumb.jpg

Great looking car and a step up from the Mustang. It's a bit rarer too. I always liked the look of the early Courgars. I even owned a 1971 Courgar myself with a 351 engine in it. It was a great car when I was going to High School. Good luck with the judging when you put her in a show.

• 1 month later...
Guest GrabberOrangeBullit

Nice score! My dad had a 68 Rx7 with a factory 390. He pulled that and wedged in a 428 cobra jet with a six pack and 5 speed. Loved the wood dash on these too. A Cougar even made it into a James Bond flick (69 I believe). Does the steering wheel swing out when you open the door?