Please help

Guest badbuffy666

Guest badbuffy666

I have a 1956 buick that is a daily driver.The master cylider went out and was deemed unrebuildible.I was wondering if the 1955 master cylinder will work...I dont have the cash at this time to do a conversion to power disks and i see alot of 1955 ones out there at a reasonable price..please help.

Am I missing something here?

The MC was deemed shot/not able to be rebuilt. That tells me there are rebuilt units out there for purchase. It just means you do not get a core refund at the time of purchase. Makes it more expensive, yes, but certainly not anywhere near the cost to convert to power disc brakes.

Sorry to say, you are in a bad situation. The 56 MC brake set up is a one year only application. This MC is attached to the angled part of the firewall, while the 55 MC is under the floor of the car. To change to a 55 you would need to convert to the 55's pedal and attaching bracket. I don't think you will find this convenient or inexpensive. For 57 the MC was moved higher up the firewall. Right where your fresh air vent is.

Neither conversion is impossible, just not often done and there is no standardized kit for the same.

Note, if you decide to convert to a disc brake set up you will still face the same issue of relocating and fabricating a mount area for the MC.

What I have seen, is the MC for 55 Chevies, which looks like a similar set up as the Buicks. To be clear, it is not the same. You will still need to fabricate some attachment to mount that MC as well, and I do not even know if anyone has ever done this conversion. If you do attempt it you will find it to be a huge chore to fill the reservoir as it will sit way down in the engine compartment close to the level of the bottom of the frame.

So unfortunately you will probably be best served by getting more quotes on your 56 MC, and looking for a used one to be rebuilt if indeed, yours cannot be rebuilt.

One last thing. Unless the MC case is broken, I do not know what would serve to make it unrebuildable.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

Unrebuildable?

Maybe they felt is was beyond honing for a standard Kit?

I would talk with, and then consider sending your original unit to one of the many vendors who sleeve/resleeve a master cylinder, and then get a kit with fresh parts (some vendors do this for the client).

Let us know how you make out....

what model is it? and where is it? You could just give it to me cause I have an NOS Rebuild Kit, but I'm saving it for my next '56!! Just kidding, it's unbelievable how some of the suppliers/rebuilders want an extreme amount of $$ to rebuild such a simple piece, I don't know what else to tell you. Google 1956 Buick Master Cylinder and you will learn alot of what not to do.

I concur with the "sleeve" option. Now, with all due respect, this is NOT something the normal shop mechanic might be aware of OR where to get it done. It was his professional opinion (I don't like to use that word too much) that your current MC would not "take a kit" . . . whether due to extreme pitting of the cylinder's bore or whatever. THAT was his main concern and what probably generated the "it's shot" determination.

Another "modification" option might be found in the street rod part of the car hobby. You can find a copy of "Street Rodder Magazine" at most any newsstand. In it, you'll find all sorts of brake upgrades for older vehicles. Probably even some "kits" which might be adapted to the '56 Buick with a little effort? The master cylinders they'll use will NOT look anything like what you have and will most probably be a dual cylinder set-up, which can mean some different plumbing and such . . . NOT something that would be "original" by any means, but if well-executed, could work well of the daily use you mentioned . . . PLUS those master cylinders are usually production-based for a 1980s vehicle (which means "replaceability" later on). It could also be the "down payment" of sorts, equipment-wise, for your possible future power disc items . . . other than the difference with the residual pressure valving (whether external or internal to the cylinder).

At this point in time, though, the most direct option would be the stainless steel sleeve option. Stainless steel sleeving of master cylinders really started with the Corvette people and their trouble-prone (due to pitting from moisture absorbed in the brake fluid) 4-piston disc brake calipers . . . especially on limited-use vehicles or higher-mileage vehicles. The caliper sleeving started in the later 1970s and "Stainless Steel Brakes" got their start servicing the Corvette owners, as I recall, then expanded their business in later years. Only downside to the sleeving option is the downtime for the vehicle, which might be several weeks, though. BUT . . . when it's done and done correctly, no more "pitting" issues.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest badbuffy666

I just sent it off to a place in virgina that states they can rebuild it so im keeping my fingers crossed.The finchtanic as we call it is a 40 special and is my wifes daily driver so I need to get it back into service.Thanks much for the help...I really apreciate it.

Guest Rob McDonald

"finchtanic" - I love it! Does your wife have a sister? Gotta find me a new wife, who understands the privilege of driving a car that's more than 50 years old.