[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody><colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col span="4"></colgroup>[/TABLE]

Guest Commodore

Just a note here. The 1937 - 1941 Plymouth master cylinder is not available on the aftermarket. It looks like the 1942 -1954 Plymouth master cylinder is.

What makes the 37-41 Plymouth cylinder so special. Aren't they just a standard type single cylinder? Can't imagine what makes '37 much different than '36.

I'm away from my parts books so I can't check when they changed things. '33, '34, '35 and maybe '36 used a simply cylinder that bolts straight onto a plate. Same bolt pattern and general style cylinder as used on the trucks for a lot of years too.

608678.jpg

Which is interchangeable with this still available cylinder:

695696.jpg

Later ('37?) they went to a style similar to that used on the '40s and early 50's but different enough that I don't believe they are interchangeable. The '40s and early 50s one looks like this:

T33D.jpg.

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

From an old Wagner book it looks like the '37 cylinder is a Wagner no. F3241. 1 1/8 bore size with 2 - 3/8-24 outlets. If you can find a Wagner distributer that will actually help you, they may be able to check to see if the unit is still available aftermarket or if it crosses to another brand or number. It is very possible that it's no longer available and must be rebuilt. I was unaware of the diiference.thanks for the info.

From an old Wagner book it looks like the '37 cylinder is a Wagner no. F3241. 1 1/8 bore size with 2 - 3/8-24 outlets. If you can find a Wagner distributer that will actually help you, they may be able to check to see if the unit is still available aftermarket or if it crosses to another brand or number. It is very possible that it's no longer available and must be rebuilt. I was unaware of the diiference.thanks for the info.

Does that book show the same cylinder from '37 through '41 Plymouth and/or that it replaces Chrysler part 858889?

If so, then I'll add it to my database of cross references noting that it is obsolete. But it might help someone when looking through parts at a swap meet, etc.

Going back to the original poster's question: A few years back I had a great experience with Joe at Sierra Specialty Automotive sleeving my master cylinder and rear (hard to find) wheel cylinders. Only problem is they came back looking so good it seemed a shame to put them on the car instead of putting them in a display case.

Sierra Specialty Automotive

3494 Chandler Rd.

Quincy, CA 95971

Telephone: +1.530.283.1886

Fax: +1.530.283.4845

email: joe@brakecylinder.com

brakecylinder.com and Sierra Specialty Automotive.

Guest Commodore

Well, that number F3241 is still a good number. Raybestos carries it as MC3241 and NAPA lists it as M3241. But its app is listed as 1942 - 1954. Here is picture.

1277324.jpg

There's still alot of parts available aftermarket if you can get someone to look. Problem is today,with computers ,you have no hard copies to reference. Used to be that manufacturers suppied application books and buyers guides which usually showed pictures of each product,casting numbers,specs. and crossreference numbers to other OEMs or brands. Now all you have is what's listed on the computer,which can be very limited. Also there is a lack of full service auto stores that carried multiple brands and carried a good stock coverage. Seems today you have to order everything! Besides ,you used to have counterpeople who were in the business from the '30's and new what fit each car from memory and usually new about cars. Most counterpeople today are young ,part time help who only fill a position and have virtually no knowledge of cars especially anything before they were 16! Not to put down the help,it's just how the industry has changed.I started in 1976 and was trained by people who made a career in auto parts and who still cared about helping the customer. I went back to the company I used to work for to see if they kept any of their old catalogs(although they no longer sell auto parts) but alas,they've discarded them long ago! If anyone find old catalogs at flea markets,pick them up, they may be useful sometime. I remember hunting down wheel cylinders for a friends '37 Packard this way. Took a lot of trial and error but I found all 4 ,brand new and at half of the cost of the Packard parts guys! I've found that I have gotten the better service lately from older NAPA stores as they still supply a lot of older parts.

Here are some prices and info I collected when researching this:<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

Apple: uses brass; $50 to resleeve WC and $80 for MC; prices are $85 and 175 for complete rebuilds.<O:p</O:p

Hagen's: stainless; $60 to resleeve and rebuild WC and $125 to resleeve and rebuild MC. Just resleeving is about $20 less for WC. Not sure about MC. Kits are $12 and $26. Don't repaint but "look like new" when done. No apparent written guarantee<O:p</O:p

Sierra: brass; $60 for WC and $100 for MC. This is resleeving only and they don't do full rebuilds. 10-yr warranty.<O:p</O:p

White Post: brass; $80 for WC and $175 for MC. This is full resleeve and rebuild. Lifetime warranty. They use an iron gray baked epoxy to paint.<O:p</O:p

I was drawn to White Post because of full service and guarantee, but went with Hagen's because my wheel cylinders have two bore sizes. White Post wanted $120 for that instead of usual $80 and Hagen's price didn't change. I could not justify an additional $240. Hagen's did a great job and the parts really did look like new when I got them. Hagen's also has a bunch of other related parts so I was able to get everything from one place. They were also helpful via email.