Spring compressor

alini

I am ready to take apart my front suspension, but the Spring compressor I just got from the parts store is too big to fit into the shock mount hole. the Service manual says to use the weight of the vehicle and jack the lower control arm to hold tension to do any suspension work. Well that wont work, I dont have a body on the frame. What kind of tool did you use to compress the front suspension springs???

Look for spring compressors that come in pairs and attach to the outside of the spring. It's twice as much work because there are two screws to wind, but you don't have to try to work inside the sping. Ask the tool rental place to show you a McPherson strut compressor and see if it won't work for you.

There is a tool in the Chassis Service Manual (J-9552) that You can make yourself.

J

I've done that as well. I used 1/2" steel plate, 1/2" all thread with extra long heavy duty nuts.

Working on just the chassis, I have also cut a wood 4x4 the correct length to span between the top of frame and ceiling in my garage so the spring could be compressed with a floor jack without the use of a spring compressor.

The use of any rogue method other than the proper spring compressorrequires the careful application of common sense to avoid personal injury. After doing many of these, I am more confident in not using an actual spring compressor.