shock absorber fluid

Guest 46BuickSuper

Guest 46BuickSuper

Hello,

My 46 Buick Super has refillable shocks. Will hydralic fluid work without causing harm? Auto parts stores are stumped when you ask for shock absorber fluid.

Help...

Thanks!

I've always used jack oil in my lever action shocks. Carl

Ditto that for me. One can of jack oil will last an awful long time if the seals on your shocks aren't too bad.

I've heard of others using motorcycle shock oil which I understand can come in different viscosities so you might be able to tailor your ride a bit.

You can also go to Moss Motors or Victorial British website. Early Triumphs used lever action shocks and they sell replacement oil for them.

That can be rather expensive. The Roadster Factory sells shock fluid for about $17 for a relatively small bottle ( TRF MGB Featured Model: (page 18) ). There is no volume given for the bottle, but I believe it's just enough to fill 2 shocks (probably 16 oz.). Moss sells a 16 oz. bottle for the same price ( MossMotors.com - Restoration Parts And Accessories For British Cars ). Victoria British's fluid is imported from England, comes in a 1/2 liter bottle, and also sells for $17 ( MG, Triumph, Austin Healey, Sunbeam Tiger iCatalog - Victoria British, Ltd. ). Shipping charges would add about another $7-$8 to that.

If jack oil is roughly the same thing it would be a much more economic alternative.

• 7 months later...