1924 what? standard or master?

Guest rhead

Just bought a 24 Buick. Was not sure if a standard or master series - has 24-48 on firewall plate. What is it? The model is an opera coupe....I am new to Buick's.....

rhead, Welcome! "The 4-passenger Coupe, Model 24-48, turned out to be Buick's most popular on the 128 inch wheelbase chassis, with 13,009 being built for domestic sales. However, only four were built on special order for export. The 3,770 pound car was finished in colbalt blue with black fenders. It cost $1,995 complete with dual rear mounted spare tires." (from Seventy Years of Buick by George Dammann)

Yes, it is a Master series car.

Ask away with questions. Post a few pics of the car too. We would love to see her. And tell us how you acquired her, and where you reside.

Congratulations.

Thanks for the info. I will, on receipt of the car (will be a week or two being shipped East), post a whack of pics.

This is an hpof car worthy of a sympathetic detailling only. Perhaps rebuilding eth engine and mechanicals, but cosmetically leavign it pretty much as is. Car heralds from the west.

I am in Quebec.

Best club to join for these cars?

RH

rhead, Welcome! "The 4-passenger Coupe, Model 24-48, turned out to be Buick's most popular on the 128 inch wheelbase chassis, with 13,009 being built for domestic sales. However, only four were built on special order for export. The 3,770 pound car was finished in colbalt blue with black fenders. It cost $1,995 complete with dual rear mounted spare tires." (from Seventy Years of Buick by George Dammann)

Yes, it is a Master series car.

Ask away with questions. Post a few pics of the car too. We would love to see her. And tell us how you acquired her, and where you reside.

Congratulations.

I am in Quebec.

Best club to join for these cars?

BCA as my signature.

And the McLaughlin Buick Club of Canada (the link from the BCA site not working) email: buicklover at rogers.com

McLaughlin Buick Club of Canada - Event Calendar

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

post-82121-143139149873_thumb.jpg

So, for those of you who are curious - this is the Buick 24-48 Master Opera Coupe I just purchased. Car heralds from Texas, where it was stored 47 years. After that, made its way to Alberta, where it was stored 5 more years. Now it will wind its way to the east Coast. Shows 79,xxx orig miles. Interior orig. Exterior has had rear fenders replaced or reworked. Missing external gas tank guage, engien spark plug cover, a drivers side window crank, a front bumper, rear bumper bracket, hubcap damaged, passenger side external door handle, and we'll see what else when it gets delivered. I am looking for someone to deliver from Alberta to Quebec (will pay $1500). Anyone have the bits I have mentioned? Hmmm...hpof or resto....well, not going to decide just yet - have a few weeks of local driving and then think about it while the car sleeps this winter.

post-82121-14313914986_thumb.jpg

post-82121-143139149864_thumb.jpg

post-82121-143139149867_thumb.jpg

post-82121-14313914987_thumb.jpg

Great looking car. You have quite a beauty. It will be fun getting her cleaned up and ready to run. Looks to be very presentable too. Not much incorrect that I can see, maybe just the horn, but the horn is quite impressive. Bet it sounds good. Good luck with her and keep us posted. Watch Ebay for parts. Contact Fred Rawlings for mechanical parts. He usually has them as he seems to have container loads of old Buick used parts. Fred.Rawlings@live.com

Just to keep everyone on the straight and narrow - there were no Standard and Master Series models for the 1924 Buick Model year. The Standard and Master Series started with the 1925 Buick models.

I have a very original 1922 Model 48 that was sold new in Springfield, Massachusetts. The car spent its entire life in New England area until 2002. I am very familiar with Buick's model 48.

Terry Wiegand

Doo Dah America

terrywiegand@prodigy.net

Again, I am confused - only because the car has not arrived and it was a "barn car purchase", so I bought fast and hoped for the best or better.... I have read that the Standard and Master series six cylinder motors were 40 hp and 70 hp respectively. I have not yet learned what a 1924 6 cylinder is all about....I presume a 4 cyl is around 38-40 hp (like the 23 Olds I recently sold). I do know the car has 24-48 stamped on the firewall plate....looking forward to learning!

rhead.if you are baying a book Seventy Years of Buick by George H Dammann Crestline you can learn a lot of Buicks in those years.In my opinion one of the best book to by if you you want to learn what`s different from year to year from 1903 and up to 1973.

Leif in Sweden.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auther-signed-Seventy-Years-of-Buick-Copyright-1973-Geo-H-Dammann-many-photos-/110945505092?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d4de0f44#ht_752wt_1398

Edited by Leif Holmberg (see edit history)

yup, am awaiting receipt of book, actually. Have also bought several period Buick folders and such from eBay - just awaiting their receipt....money spent on research, like tools, is never wasted. And I share. Will post scanned copied of period lit on yahoo groups

Interesting. Well, 24-6 or 25-Master...potato/potatoe I suppose.... My interest is in having 30 hp more than I did with my 23 Olds 4 cyl - lovely car, not enough power for driving on the highway or outside of town....which is why I sold it and went for the Buick....also, brakes - 24 has 4 wheel mechanical which is an improvement of sorts, I expect....

rhead:

Keep us informed of your progress. I have spent almost a year learning about my 1925 model 25. Still much to learn. The people on the forum have been great with their insights and experience. We have to keep this information documented and in circulation since all the people with first generation knowledge are gone. And the second generation

is swiftly leaving us. The 24-48 is a very nice car and the four wheel brakes (if properly adjusted and cared for) are very adequate stoppers. Just don't get them wet!

Larry

It'll be interesting to get the car and start it - the car comes to me from AB, but orig from Texas. When being delivered to AB 5 years ago, it was a running car. Since then, it has been started occasionally, but the owner's brother, who was storing it, did not understand spark advance and throttle operations, and so would start it and it would soon stop. Ergo, the car has not been properly run in 5 years. This helped me with pricing (!). I know what the positions for spark and throttle were on my 23 Olds, and on my brass era Model T's, and will figure it out on the Buick (likely mentioned in the manual?). Any advice on oils to use? Restoration Supply has versions of earlier heavier viscosity oils, but what "modern" oils work best? On my open valve splash systems, modern oil would splash too liberally when motor was hot...the buick is closed valve, so this tell would not be as easily read.... Another question I have is about balloon tires. The '24's wore "skinnies", but is it possible and/or adviseable to put balloons on a '24? If so, what size? Coker or?? What about using all-grey rubber (eg Non-Skids and ribbed) on a '24? Correct? Anyone out there carry the correct striped French mohair for the seats? Radiator - nickel or chrome (mine will def. need some attention)? The roof fabric is worn on corners and has a hole froma low door in back - Instead of replacing, I am thinking patch or repair....suggestions (hpof-type job)...I presume bitumen would heat under son and drip into roof and headliner...best chassis cleaners? Would like to remove 90 years of grease and grit and grime....Also plan on giving the car a light sanding/buffing and shooting with clear....advise on doing? Best method to repair dented top pass rear roof corner? Like headlight bezel repair with mold? If so, what to use to make the mold (reverse of drivers side or need a volunteer to make from their roof?)...restore or replace rims? Who is making them? McLaren or?? Paint or plate rims (anodize)? ..more questions to come!

I am reasonably sure the question about HP was never fully answered. The 4 cylinder model had the 35 HP and 6 cylinder had the 70 HP, I believe. The 24- Four were the 30 series cars and the 24- Six were the 40 and 50 series cars, with a longer wheelbase, on 48, 49 and all 50 series cars. This seems a bit unusual as most years the wheelbase seems to track the series numbers.

John

It'll be interesting to get the car and start it - the car comes to me from AB, but orig from Texas. When being delivered to AB 5 years ago, it was a running car. Since then, it has been started occasionally, but the owner's brother, who was storing it, did not understand spark advance and throttle operations, and so would start it and it would soon stop. Ergo, the car has not been properly run in 5 years. This helped me with pricing (!). I know what the positions for spark and throttle were on my 23 Olds, and on my brass era Model T's, and will figure it out on the Buick (likely mentioned in the manual?). Any advice on oils to use? Restoration Supply has versions of earlier heavier viscosity oils, but what "modern" oils work best? On my open valve splash systems, modern oil would splash too liberally when motor was hot...the buick is closed valve, so this tell would not be as easily read.... Another question I have is about balloon tires. The '24's wore "skinnies", but is it possible and/or adviseable to put balloons on a '24? If so, what size? Coker or?? What about using all-grey rubber (eg Non-Skids and ribbed) on a '24? Correct? Anyone out there carry the correct striped French mohair for the seats? Radiator - nickel or chrome (mine will def. need some attention)? The roof fabric is worn on corners and has a hole froma low door in back - Instead of replacing, I am thinking patch or repair....suggestions (hpof-type job)...I presume bitumen would heat under son and drip into roof and headliner...best chassis cleaners? Would like to remove 90 years of grease and grit and grime....Also plan on giving the car a light sanding/buffing and shooting with clear....advise on doing? Best method to repair dented top pass rear roof corner? Like headlight bezel repair with mold? If so, what to use to make the mold (reverse of drivers side or need a volunteer to make from their roof?)...restore or replace rims? Who is making them? McLaren or?? Paint or plate rims (anodize)? ..more questions to come!

My advice on your questions.....

Any advice on oils to use? ..... I use 20-40W "non-detergent" because my 24 engine has not yet been rebuilt. Using modern oils are designed to suspend solids for engines with fliters.

Another question I have is about balloon tires. .... I run 33 X 4 1/2" Lester black walls from Universal Tire.

Radiator ... Nickel plated as well as all other plated hardware.

Best chassis cleaners? To keep the car original, I suggest kerosene to loosen the oil and grease. It is water soluable so you can hit it with a pressure washer and repeat on really caked on areas.

Also plan on giving the car a light sanding/buffing and shooting with clear....advise on doing?... I would skip the clear and go with a couple of coats of good wax.

Best method to repair dented top pass rear roof corner? ... Standard body shop repair and finish with aged paint to match.

Headlight bezel repair. Look for a replacement on Ebay and this forum.

Restore your rims. I have been looking for rims for years and had to buy a parts car to get them. I use silver metallic paint ("Okie Chrome") on the rims for easy touch-up after installing tires.

Mark,it looks like you have 24"(33 x 4 1/2" wheels on your model 45, but when looking at earlier picture from rhead he has 23" wheels on his car 32 x 4 1/2".When looking in my books series 47 to series 55 have 32 x 4 1/2=23".It`s very easy to do wrong with those old tire dimentions and buy the wrong ones.

Leif in Sweden