Hershey

Make that "Hershey also has a plant in LANCASTER..."

I would hope that at least SOME of the production of Hershey's fine chocolate is still local; One of my favorite things as I travel east into Hershey every October is first smelling the peanut butter aroma as I pass Reese's, then if I haven't smelled it by the intersection of Cocoa and East Chocolate Avenue, that waft of chocolate infiltrating my nostrils never fails to arrive by that point in time!

Back in the day you could usually predict the weather in the flea market by the aroma. If the smell of chocolate was particularly strong that meant that the wind was out of the East and rain was likely.

Growing up in Hershey if you smelled the Chocolate and saw the cows were laying down in the pastures, rain was sure to be on it's way. Today, you no longer smell chocolate in downtown Hershey, the parking lots at the original factory are empty. If you travel past the Reese's plant on the west side of town you can still smell chocolate on the east side of the plant and peanuts to the west.

And I always thought the chocolate was something the Hershey Region brought in just for an added attraction to the cars and flea market! Hope everyone recovered after the last round of storms went through there. News reports said some of the street lights shaped like Hershey Kisses were even down.

Can't wait to get there.

Terry

Guest Tarheel

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Restorer32 viewpost-right.png

Back in the day you could usually predict the weather in the flea market by the aroma. If the smell of chocolate was particularly strong that meant that the wind was out of the East and rain was likely.

Having attended the fall Hershey flea market and car show for almost 40 years, I was always trying to determine when it wasn't going to rain :^)