Mini starter

Guest btate

Seems the mini starter is being promoted and I was wondering why. Do I need to replace my starter if I am adding power steering? Is there a space problem? 264 ci 1955 buick special

Seems the mini starter is being promoted and I was wondering why. Do I need to replace my starter if I am adding power steering? 264 ci 1955 buick special

Seems the mini starter is being promoted and I was wondering why.

So the people promoting them can make $$$$$$$$$$$. But if you're building a race car and worried about weight, they might be nice.

Do I need to replace my starter if I am adding power steering? Is there a space problem?

No and No. I'd suggest checking the teeth on the starter and on the flex plate though. You "might" consider replacing the starter solenoid. I personally would just carry a spare and wait til it goes bad.

Just curious, who is rebuilding your power steering unit?

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

The car has a manual drive now, so I bought a new one. The car should be finished in about 3 months. The doors fenders, hood and trunk lid is off and just sandblasted and in primer. The body was sandblasted Friday.

The only problem I have with the original type starter is heat soak. There are three solutions to heat soak; remote (Ford) type solenoid switch, heat shield around the starter, a bigger/better battery.

I put a bigger/better battery (replaced the Mickey-Mouse repro 60group with a NAPA 27group)

No more heat soak...........

I didn't have to go with the other mods.

If, I go to show that the correct battery would make a difference, i'll put the repro-Delco 60 in.

I can offer you an additional option to your heat soak problem. I can rebuild/repair your starter with high torque windings. I've done this many times with great results. Most customers are amazed at the difference. This way you can keep the original starter and it should be cheaper than the mini gear reduction starters. I also offer the gear reduction replacements if your interested in having me quote it to compare. Feel free to contact me with any additional questions.

Jason

Some good advice in other responses. If your starter is working now the most I'd do is replace the Bendix drive (if teeth are a bit worn) and brushes if it is out of the car. If in the car leave alone - seems folks have more problems after messing with than before frequently.

Guest Rob McDonald

What do you mean by "heat soak"? Do you mean that the car becomes hard to start when the engine's warmed up? I've had cars do that but found that when the starter and all its accessories are repaired, the problem goes away. Sometimes just a borderline bad battery will offer the same annoying symptom.

"Heat soak" is when the engine is hot, and HAS been hot from driving for a good while. Then, you park the car and leave it. All of the heat "soaks" into the underhood components which received cooling air blowing over them when the car was in motion or running. This is when the fuel evaporates from the float bowl, "too full" radiators "puke", etc.

IF you return before the heat has dissipated enough, many of the heat-related issues might cause some problems. More prevalent in summer than in winter, though.

Neat concept of the upgraded "guts"!

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467