Mothball dilemma

Guest Torino75

Guest Torino75

HELP! How can I get rid of the mothball smell in my classic car? After winter storage and trying to avoid another mishap with a mouse, my baby still has the mothball smell. What can I use to get rid of it, and what can I use in the future for storage without the smell while keeping the critters at bay?

Guest Mochet

I find the mothball smell will dissipate if you open the windows/doors and just let it air out. You could also aim a fan at the interior to speed up the air exchange.

Phil

Something I'm not understanding here, I use mothballs in my interior when the car is laid up for the winter, not because of rodents but because it has a wool interior. In the spring I open the windows and go for a short drive, and as Phil says, the odor is gone very quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used charcoal brickettes to absorb odors. Just be sure they aren't the ones that come pre-soaked with lighter fluid.

I put a few under the seats and in a day or so the odor is gone.

Good Luck

Guest miss68xr7

Actually I have heard dryer sheets liberally placed help with mice. Maybe go for a combo platter. Either way will smell better than mothballs. No alternative better than peanut butter on a mouse trap, except a cat, or sealin things up so a mouse cannot get in. Steel wool works well.