What car, circa 1925?

Guest Mik3e

Guest Mik3e

Arlene was born 1927, which dates the picture. Interesting features I have noticed are 10 spoke front wheels, fancy cowl lights, no apparent outside handle on the back door, generous back seat, intricate back window, and right side drive, although I can't guarantee the picture hasn't been flipped. The countryside is southern California. So, what is it?

post-87038-143139125896_thumb.jpg

Guest morerevsm3

next door neighbor to where I grew up has a Maxwell that looks a lot like that, including intricate rear window, even owner doesn't know what year it is though

Guest Rob McDonald

I have to question the caption - if that's Arlene's birth year, she's either fibbing about her age or that's not her in the car. White rubber tires were supplanted by black rubber within a year or two of 1915. An owner would be lucky to get just a few years out of a set of tires back then and, in regular use, it's unlikely any white tires would have lasted until 1927.

I have it on good authority that Arlene was born in 1927, and her parents, George and Ethel, were married in 1923. However, I've learned to question identities in photos. Perhaps that's not Arlene and the unidentifiable people in front are not George and Ethel. Thanks for the new information.

1913 Overland Model 69F - nope, rear doors are the wrong shape

1913 Premiere Empire - nope, lanterns are wrong

1913 Peerless - nope - hood is too long

1913 Buick - nope - lanterns are wrong

1913 Oldsmobile - horn and lantern - check. But the hood louvers...

...taking a break. :-)

1913 Oldsmobile - horn and lantern - check. But the hood louvers...

...taking a break. :-)

Are you saying the Olds does or does not have the louvers? I looked close at my original picture and there are no louvers, just streaks of dirt.

Edited by Mik3e (see edit history)

Mik3e - The Olds do have the louvers and yes, your picture doesn't. The Olds is close, but no cigar. It seems that 1913ish is the last year that both lanterns and headlights were on the cars. After 1913ish, the lanterns disappeared.

The hole, forward of the rear wheel is a very unique feature. No louvers, flat radiator cap, raked rear fender tips, and the rise from the rear edge of the radiator to the hood is also a good identifier. There also has to be a divot or depression for the spare to rest on the running board - something else to use when looking.

Now I'm no expert, but boy - I'd sure like to find the old advertisement showing this car.

Can anybody else help Mik3e and I out?

--} keiser31, can you help? {-- (yelled to the rhythm of Car 54, where are you?)

Thanks, Chuck

... The hole, forward of the rear wheel is a very unique feature.

I also noticed that hole. It seems to line up with the spring bushing. Grease access?

- I'd sure like to find the old advertisement showing this car.

Leif Holmberg referred to his book 'American Cars 1805-1942'. Leif, could a picture be forthcoming?

No picture from me, becuse of the change that have been used on AACA.Before it was very easy to put pictures here, but now it seems that other people can take over those old car questions that are more interested in computers than cars.

Leif in Sweden.

Guest morerevsm3
No picture from me, becuse of the change that have been used on AACA.Before it was very easy to put pictures here, but now it seems that other people can take over those old car questions that are more interested in computers than cars.

Leif in Sweden.

Leif, you can upload your photos to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket then when you hover your mouse pointer over a picture you have uploaded, a box appears with several lines, click the bottom one (IMG code, it will then change to saying copied) and then come back to reply window here, right click and highlight paste and click, then when you click the reply button at the bottom, your photo will be in the reply

Picture1.jpg

^^ without the *** shows as below

Picture1.jpg

or my sisters car-

IMG_0027.jpg

Re: What car, circa 1925?

Thanks morerevsm3 for the tip,but I have 3GB with pictures in my computer and enogh of photo program.If you take a look at how the many pictures there are now comparing with the older"AACA"system you will see that I`m not the only one that don`t put pictures here anymore.Earlier I love priced the AACA site and told the Swedish AHK club to use the same system as AACA, but now I can say don`t use it ever.Before it took about 2-3 minutes to scan from any of my books and put it on AACA threads,but with the new system it takes me very long time just to find the picture in my computer(if I ever will find it) that I want to download after a click on manage attachment.

Leif in Sweden.

Guest morerevsm3

it only takes a couple of minutes on photbucket, and would be a shame not to see everyones pictures and information,

here is Buick folder on my photobucket

Buick pictures by morerevsm3 - Photobucket

anyone can hover their pointer over my photos, and click on the img code tag, then post to any forum in the world in seconds, no need to click on image in a forum to be able to see it, large image is displayed directly in the post as above post shows