1941 Buick Paint Colors

DixieFireball

I'm looking to repaint my 1941 Buick Special, Model 41 Ranier Blue, with Dante Red wheels. I have an original paint chip sheet with the color and formula, but we all know that the formula is useless (from my understanding). Does anyone know a good paint shop that would know how to prep the original color? Or should I just find a modern color that is close enough and go with that? Any advice fellas?

If you have a chip of the original color, most shops can color match it. I had my 38 Special repainted the original Whistler Grey and the shop matched the original color found in the door jams. You should be able to find somewhere on your car where the original color has been protected from sunlight and the elements.

It's pretty hard to match from a chip. I don't know if you can still do it, but I had Hibernia mix one gallon of Lasson Green Poly (metallic) lacquer from the original mix for my 1939 Buick. We painted the firewall in lacquer and used that to match the basecoat/clearcoat to it. The fine metallic was made up from ground up pearl so that the fleck would not be to big as in modern car colors. It worked out fine that way and for $150 worth of lacquer I knew I had the right color.

It's all very much Greek to me but I recently had my '39 81-c repainted Ranier Blue ( a very dark almost black blue ) and this is what I was provided with should I ever need a touch-up:

PPG Deltron DBC base coat #4751 Authentic Blue, OEM code 897.

Dead on the original Ranier Blue? I'm not sure. If the above means anything to a paint shop,try a little bit and see if you like it.

If you order your Deltron DBC # 4751 4 times over the next year it likely will be a slightly different color each time unless your paint supplier does so little business that he is still mixing your paint using the same cans of tint, very unlikely. Mixing colors change over time. If you have any doubt ask your supplier to see his variance charts for different colors, especially silvers and reds. I'm sure the variability in mixing tints was even greater "back in the day" so the real answer is that there is no absolutely authentic color for any old car where more than 1 example was built.

Guest outlaw car man
No absolutely authentic color except black of course. Black is black.

I learned a long time ago, that there are different colors or shades of black, was a real pain in the butt to match blacks. We used to use Centari 99, I think it was called, to match the real black-black of the Fords in the early 30s. A good match today, I've found, is Duplicolor True Black, I think #100 in the shaker cans for touchup.

I'm not much of a paint guy, but my 2 cents worth

OCM

Thank you everyone for your replies. RDMSTR I'll give it a try. My trouble was that the car is originally Lancaster Gray, Painted Black about 40 years ago. Lancaster Gray is a beautiful color, dont get me wrong, and well...black is gorgeous with all the chrome, but how many black cars are out there? I figured with the Dante Red wheels, the dark blue would be a nice change.

Guest outlaw car man

Only one of these black ones that I know of- Not all buggered up either.

Dark blue would be real nice too, actually the stock color for this car from the factory-

Keep us posted on your project-

OCM

post-54015-143139128447_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have a black 41 model 41 that is black. If I had the opportunity I would either go with black and silver, which looks really sharp, or Lancaster Gray as you said yours was originally. I have never seen a Lancaster Gray Model 41. Nice color contrast to the chrome.