Front wheel bearings (1924)

Guest occrj

Guest occrj

Hi all,

Investigating apparent play in the front wheelbearings, I removed them and noticed that on the nearside - behind the inner bearing - there was a felt seal, between two large metal circular washers. On the offside, where the most play was evident, there was no seal or either of the steel washers behind the inner bearing.

I'm assuming that the 2x washers and felt seal should be present on both sides?

[added: the car is March 1925, not 1924]

thanks, Richard

Edited by occrj (see edit history)

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

My 25 passed its MOT on Friday so I can begin its UK registration.

I still think it'll need some front wheelbearings, can anyone help with modern part number references for the required inner and outer bearings? Last time I had it apart I noted down the SKF numbers of the bearings it currently has fitted, but finding a supplier drew a blank. If anyone can help with modern-day reference numbers for the correct parts, that'd be great.

Thanks, Richard

Hi Richard, Assuming your '25 uses the same as my '25 (on which I've done bearings recently), the inner bearing and race should be easy to come by as they are still produced. Timken 2788 bearing and 2729 race; I paid $68 total for 2 each (less shipping). The outer bearing is, unfortunately, not in production nor could I find any cross reference. It is Timken 1751 and while you can find them, they are very pricey (Amazon had them). The race for this is a 1730 which appears to still be available. I was lucky that my outer bearings were still in good shape. The outer bearing does not have a grease seal as the screw on cap keeps in the grease.

The 2729/2788 large cone bearing is available from a Land Rover dealer, I bought a pair last year for about £25.

I did find a reference to that fitment, good to hear it confirmed though by someone who has actually bought and used it :) L/R part number 41045 apparently.

RJ

• 3 months later...
Guest occrj

Can anyone help me out with advice on how to remove the bearing cups from within the front (wooden) wheels? Do they drift out, or is it a press-out job?

All advice welcomed, thanks :)

Richard

Guest occrj
Hi Richard, Assuming your '25 uses the same as my '25 (on which I've done bearings recently), the inner bearing and race should be easy to come by as they are still produced. Timken 2788 bearing and 2729 race; I paid $68 total for 2 each (less shipping). The outer bearing is, unfortunately, not in production nor could I find any cross reference. It is Timken 1751 and while you can find them, they are very pricey (Amazon had them). The race for this is a 1730 which appears to still be available. I was lucky that my outer bearings were still in good shape. The outer bearing does not have a grease seal as the screw on cap keeps in the grease.

I got the cups out of the wheels today.

My outer (smaller) bearing assy matches your numbers, ie 1751 bearing and 1730 cup.

However my inner (larger) bearing assy numbers are 256? (part illegible) bearing, with 2530 cup.....whether they're right for the job or not I don't know, but I thought the difference was worth mentioning.

RJ

Guest occrj

Brilliant, thanks for posting that JayG. So it's looking like I have bearings fitted for the 1923-1924 year. As far as I know, mine was built in March 1925. Should I now be using the part nos listed for 1925-6-7, or do you think I should stick with the 1923-1924 inner bearing? I'm on wooden wheels, if that makes a difference?

Thanks for your help :-)

Richard

Richard - According to the Dodge Brothers Master Parts List the 256 inner bearing is used up to vehicle number A204876. Then the 2788 is used from A204876 to A930633. The outer bearings 1751 are the same for all 4 cyl cars. What number is your car?

Edited by JayG (see edit history)

Guest occrj
Richard - According to the Dodge Brothers Master Parts List the 256 inner bearing is used up to vehicle number A204876. Then the 2788 is used from A204876 to A930633. The outer bearings 1751 are the same for all 4 cyl cars. What number is your car?

Hi JayG,

Do you think the switch in numbers for the inner bearing coincided with the switch to steel disc wheels, away from the wooden? In which case, I'll stick with the earlier numbers I think - although I'll try and find out what the differences actually are between the two versions anyway.

Richard

I'm thinkng that the bearing has to match the wheel hub. In the Master Parts List it shows the front wood wheel hub fitting cars from 490413 to A204877 as being the same then it has a different hub from A204877 to A930633. Your car may have a set of earlier wood wheels that would take the earlier bearing. Jay

• 2 years later...

Can anyone help me out with advice on how to remove the bearing cups from within the front (wooden) wheels? Do they drift out, or is it a press-out job?

All advice welcomed, thanks :)

Richard

When  I  had  a  race   issue   with  front   wheel on  an   18   I  simply  got  a   used   front  hub   from  Myers.  It  included  the   races   which   Tom   determined were  good(which  they  were)  Drove  the  hub  out   Reinstalled  hub  Done  deal  . I  might  add  I  think  it  was  30.00

Edited by bobs1916 (see edit history)