Help Needed, It doesnt start?

Guest wporras8

Guest wporras8

I bought a 1952 International Harvester Metro a few months ago with the original motor. The vehicle sat unused for a few years. I replaced the main gaskets, the timing was not touched, replaced spark plugs, coils, points, condenser, I had the upright carburetor restored, replaced the gasoline filter, water pump, gas pump, I calibrated the valves. The engine cranks, but doesn't start. There's a spark. I tried using starter spray, but nothing. Any advice?

THANK YOU ALL FOR REPLYING.........GREATLY APPRECIATED...

Edited by wporras8 (see edit history)

How is the compression? If it is low, the rings may be dry. A shot of oil in the spark plug holes will fix this. Or, valves may be stuck.

If you have compression, spark, and gas, at the right time, an engine has to run, it has no choice. So if you have spark, and fed it some gas or starter spray, it should at least fire. Did it backfire or do anything at all?

Guest wporras8

comprepressions are 150 each cilinder, and wet they go to 180; Valves are not stuck, it back fires on the carburetor and the fire order it's correct. Any other idea.....

comprepressions are 150 each cilinder, and wet they go to 180; Valves are not stuck, it back fires on the carburetor and the fire order it's correct. Any other idea.....

It is probably a timing issue. Either distributor or valve timing. Have you put a timing light to it? Have you checked the valve timing? I am unaware of whether the distributor has a gear or a blade. Either it could be off a tooth or two or it is 180 out of phase. Make sure these are correct .

Guest wporras8
It is probably a timing issue. Either distributor or valve timing. Have you put a timing light to it? Have you checked the valve timing? I am unaware of whether the distributor has a gear or a blade. Either it could be off a tooth or two or it is 180 out of phase. Make sure these are correct .

It is a blade distributor, marks are all pointing in the right direccion. I checked over and over, the second time i was checking the firing order was inversed. so i fixed it, thinkking that I had solved the issue i tried one more time and the same thing. I keep going in circles, I dont know what else do but get another carburetor.

I'm willing to bet it's still a timing issue. Bring number one up to TDC on the compression stroke. Hold your thumb over the plug hole and turn then engine slowly. When your thumb pops off, look at the timing mark. It should be close to the pointer. Align the mark and the pointer. The rotor should be pointing at the number one plug wire. If not, switch the wires. Then be sure the remaining wires are in order, according to distributor rotation. This will get you in the ballpark

Guest wporras8
I'm willing to bet it's still a timing issue. Bring number one up to TDC on the compression stroke. Hold your thumb over the plug hole and turn then engine slowly. When your thumb pops off, look at the timing mark. It should be close to the pointer. Align the mark and the pointer. The rotor should be pointing at the number one plug wire. If not, switch the wires. Then be sure the remaining wires are in order, according to distributor rotation. This will get you in the ballpark

Believe it or not, I checked that too but instead of my finger i put a piece of clolth covering the plug hole; checked the timing mark, it was ligned with the pointer and the rotor is pointing to number one and from there I place the firing order 153624 counter clockwise.

Now you see why i keep braking my head....

If a gasoline cylinder has compression,,,,,,is getting the proper fuel down the manifold,,,,,the valves are closing,,,,,,it is timed properly,,,,,there are no vacumme leaks,,,,,and your getting spark at the right time,,,,,and the spark is getting to the plugs and not shorting to ground,,,,,,,,,,YOU CAN NOT KEEP IT FROM FIREING,,,,,,,,,,Just follow the steps and check every thing,,,,,,,,,some people start hitting a motor with all new parts and never just check the systems,

If a gasoline cylinder has compression,,,,,,is getting the proper fuel down the manifold,,,,,the valves are closing,,,,,,it is timed properly,,,,,there are no vacumme leaks,,,,,and your getting spark at the right time,,,,,and the spark is getting to the plugs and not shorting to ground,,,,,,,,,,YOU CAN NOT KEEP IT FROM FIREING,,,,,,,,,,Just follow the steps and check every thing,,,,,,,,,some people start hitting a motor with all new parts and never just check the systems,

Don't get a new carburetor. Even with a bad carburetor or no carburetor at all you should be able to run the engine for a few revolutions with starting fluid but only if the valve and distributor timing is correct and you are getting good spark. There has to be something you are missing. Take a brake and then go back and try to be systematic about the way you ar echecking things. More new parts will probably not help you.

Guest wporras8

Yes, I took the cap off and cracked it a few times and observed the direction of the rotation.

Once again, thank you all for the time you are taking in helping me out.

A backfire through the carburetor can occur ONLY when a cylinder fires and the intake valve of that cylinder is open. Think about it.

This leads one to:

(A) sticky or burned intake valve(s)

(B) faulty valve timing (slipped chain or defective gear)

© faulty ignition timing (carbon track in cap, cross-firing due to defective wire insulation, incorrect dwell, incorrect timing, etc.)

If the compression, valve timing, and ignition are good; pour about 1 teaspoon of gasoline down the carburetor throat and CLOSE THE CHOKE PLATE; the engine should start and run for a few seconds. If it doesn't, then go back to compression, valve timing and ignition.

Jon.