Squeaking Belt Issue

MarkV

So, on my '66 Mustang I have a bit of an issue. There was a belt squeaking belt, so about a year ago we replaced all three belts. Anyway, I dont drive the car much and I plan on driving it this weekend. Anyway, the belt squeaks only when the ac is turned on. I oiled the pulley and about half of it went away. I am wondering if one of the other belts is not tight enough? Or should I just buy new belts? (I had the same problem with the old ones). It only happens when I press on the accelerator with the ac on. In idle it is fine or after the car is accelerated.

Wes,

It sounds like the AC belt is slipping, but that will cause a squeel not a squeak. Try to tighten the belt. If it is a squeek, it is most likely a berring starting to go bad in an idler pully, the water pump, alternater or the compressor.

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)

Guest Bob Call

V belts develop a slick or burnished surface and even though the belt is properly tensioned they can squeak and squeal. Parts stores used to sell an aerosol "belt dressing" that would take care of the problem.