1955 fuel filter

Paul Falabella

Guest Straight eight
Thanks for the info and photo. So this unit would sit vertically. Replaceable element inside? Available anywhere?

Just a nut on the bottom that comes out so filter can be flushed out with carb cleaner etc.

I have three Delco's. They all have that nut on the back and a rubber gasket between the two halves. It isn't as easy as the glass bowl variety, but I am able to take mine apart and blast em with carb blaster.

With that said, I had my tank sealed by a Renu dealer and have an inline filter before my electric pump at the tank on my 55 Special and have not had gunk of any sort in the carb filter.

Edited by buick5563 (see edit history)

My problem is sand or some foreign material in the tank, need to have it removed and flushed. While I'm at get the old fuel pump working which is leaking a little oil anyway.

Doesn't look like the original filters are easy to come by so may just go with a glass bowl type till one comes along. At least will look better than the in line metal can on the fender.

Guest shadetree77

I searched EBAY for almost an entire year for one of those filters before I finally found one. They are usually called Moraine filters(at least that's what my '52 manual calls them). There is a fellow on EBAY that has had one listed for over a year now but it's a much earlier version of the filter. The earliest ones don't have a drain screw. The later ones come apart for cleaning but the earlier ones(mine included)do NOT come apart. You simply remove the small screw at the bottom and flush with kerosene or carb cleaner. I don't know if they ever made replaceable elements for the later ones that came apart. Here are some pictures I've gathered concerning these filters. One of the pictures shows one of these installed on a straight eight, but I imagine they work the same with other carbs. Good luck with your search!

post-75106-143139073765_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143139073766_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143139073768_thumb.jpg

post-75106-14313907377_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143139073771_thumb.jpg

Edited by shadetree77 (see edit history)

There's a guy on the 54 Buick Highway that may still have one. Go there, and either post up that you want it or PM him. G'luck.

For Sale Grab Bag of parts

Robert, do you have those actual catalog pages or are those pictures. If actual, sure would love to have some PDF's of them.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
Guest shadetree77

Guys, there's a fellow on EBAY that has had two of these type filters listed for over a year now. They aren't exactly period correct for your cars but they are close. Nobody would know but you because they look really similar to the type you need. Here's a link to the auction. Has to be the longest running auction I've ever seen! Remember, as he states in the description the $50 price is for ONE not both filters.

MORAINE INLINE FUEL FILTER 1940'S PONTIAC, BUICK, OLDS? | eBay