To Chage or Not to Change

g-g-g0

I am servicing my '53 Super for summer driving and was going to change the transmission fluid. (I have no idea when it was serviced last.) Some say yes some say no to a change. What is the correct answer?!?!:confused:

Thanks,

Gary

The question usually is "Which fluid?" rather than "Should I change it?", with all due respect.

I concur, cleaner and newer is better than "old, of undetermined age". The fluid has additives in it that help keep things working well, so "newer is better", in that respect.

In many cases, you can still find the Type A automatic trans fluid. Usually at convenience stores and supermarkets, or auto supplies with "older" vehicle clientel. Or you could opt for the more recent "Dexron" family of fluids, but I might recommend against the current Dexron VI fluid due to its semi-synthetic nature and the age of the rubber seals in your transmission.

The chemistry interaction between some semi-syn or full syn fluids and much earlier rubber seals and such might lead to some longevity issues in those areas. Personally, I'd rather err on the side of using a prior non-syn or non-semi-syn fluid than anything else. Any possible failure would not occur soon, but later.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

I suspect that some say no to the change of fluid because the transmission might start slipping as a result of the fluid change. I have heard this claim many times. When I was spinning wrenches for a living I never experienced a transmission slipping or otherwise after I performed a transmission fluid/filter change. I have changed fluids black as coal and pans loaded with clutch pack material without issue after the transmission was button up. Claims that transmission fluid is for the life of the transmission is bunk if you where to ask me. I have yet to blow a transmission on any of my vehicles and I attribute that to faithful fluid and filter changes.

If your fluid looks red-ish like new fluid and the transmission is working fine let it alone. If the fluid is brown/black and has a burnt smell replace the fluid.

Guest chevy_dude97

"If your fluid looks red-ish like new fluid and the transmission is working fine let it alone. If the fluid is brown/black and has a burnt smell replace the fluid."

If its smells burnt id say you got issues anyway.

But to the OP I have never rebuilt a dynaflow. As far as not changing the fluid... well the only thing I have seen was increase in leaking seals and if it was not slipping before usually it would not just start due to new fluid. I would not flush it however as the user manual says not to. Syn tends to be less viscous at low temps causing leaks or increased seepage.

Burnt smelling transmission fluid is a indicator of a worn/overheating transmission fluid.

Many car manuals claim that transmission fluid never needs changing or is lifetime. Honestly, how can that be when the transmission, transmission fluid and filter experience like environment as your engine, oil and filter? I have never lost a transmission when regular maintenance was performed. I have seen many transmissions go at 80k for lack of fluid change.

Gary: Listen to NXT & Warhawk. They speak with straight tongue and pure eyes.

A fluid is a fluid. An oil is an oil. Not the same chemistry and should not be considered the same. Their perspective chemistry constitutions are as apart as the north and south poles.

Fatal fluid if it sets long enough can guise itself as fresh new fluid even with the ability to expel crystallized (burnt) emulsifiers. Oil cannot do this. But the physical chemistry of the fluid has changed and will not be able to do it's job properly.

Change the fluid and bite the bullet Tonto.

Hi-Yo Sliver ...... Awaaaay!

Guest chevy_dude97

No disagreement here

Keeping fluid fresh and red is a very integral part of preventative maint. I had a car I put 200k on with the original trans and it shifted as good the day I sold it as the day I bought it with 30k.

** aren't these transmissions super inefficient? And create lots of heat? You would think you would want it changed regularly to keep the "properties" of the fluid within spec?

Edited by chevy_dude97
added Q (see edit history)