Why restorers lose their minds

Restorer32

Another Amphicar Story. Back in 81 I bought and Amphicar that had a two piece windshield and the top was down and in sad shape.

When I was restoring it i went to put the top up and found front bow wasn't the same shape as the windshield frame. Evidently some owner needed a windshield and could not find one so they took what they could find, cut it in half and re-bent the windshield frame to match the glass and just never put the top up.

yes it is "W" shaped

Bottom photo

amphicar02.jpg

Edited by Jay Wolf (see edit history)

I have one that they welded in a flat frame over the original frame to accept a flat glass. I suspect it was brought about out of desperation much like the spare "tire" and Jay's windshield of earlier. The big difference between mine and Jay's is most of the examples listed in this thread are need VS lack of skill.

From what I can remember, those had a Triumph Herald engine ?

Yes, 1147cc

post-31565-143138999541_thumb.jpg

Guest prs519

Restorer 32 " Have a captured nut that has broken loose in a hard to reach place on the hood of your '58 Cadillac? No Problem! Just take a spade bit you don't need, weld a nut to it and install." I am either too thick, or maybe too thin to get this one. Can you explain a little more for me?

Dandy Dave: Man, I feel for you about the radiator on your motor grader. I think my reaction would be much the same as yours; let's face, wouldn't we literally enjoy attending to the death of the ignoramuses who do this sort of thing to people who never did anything at all to them? I try to remember this: the culprits literally got me once, initially. Do not let them get me again, mentally, because of this initial wound. If I let it eat me up, they are getting me over and over, and I refuse to give them that satisfaction. I like to imagine, also, that what comes around, goes around. Whoever did it, I would be willing to bet, leads a lifestyle that nobody else would begin to envy, and that that radiator, so valuable to you, and of relatively low value to them, will do nothing for the jerk's self esteem. In my state, the value of scrap copper has become so high that it embolded theives to perform unimaginable thefts of wire.

The police have started to work with salvage vendors in order to catch some of the culprits. I hope you have enlisted, or considered enlisting, their aid. Ya never know. If you had a rear view picture of your radiator, distributed to the salvage yards, do you think there is any chance someone might recognize your radiator, which would no doubt be quite out of the ordinary in appearance?

The police have started to work with salvage vendors in order to catch some of the culprits. I hope you have enlisted, or considered enlisting, their aid. Ya never know. If you had a rear view picture of your radiator, distributed to the salvage yards, do you think there is any chance someone might recognize your radiator, which would no doubt be quite out of the ordinary in appearance?

Exactly my thought, this probably is going/went straight to the metal recycler in your area or nearby town. If they are stealing scrap they usually are dumb enough to deal somewhat in the region where the items were stolen. It is possible it is still in one piece tho they may have cut it up, and it is possible it hasn't been scrapped yet if they are accumulating a truckload. As said, take pics, detailed description, measurements, anything you have and leave with local scrap/recyclers with a large notice saying "STOLEN" at the top of the page just so they are encouraged to stay honest. They likely have dealt with the same folks in the past, and I'm not sure the laws where you are but they may require ID from them when items were accepted in, so could have a record, or at least keep an eye out and call the cops when they show up next time. Good luck.

What the hell is that all about ??:eek::D

Ray

The last owner had the wheel bolted to the garage wall to store his garden hose. When he sold the car he quickly took it off and threw it in the trunk. Later the new owner got a flat and put the wheel on.

That's my theory anyway.