Chasing Classic Cars?

bubba

First let me start by saying that I watch this show every week and have since it started. I would like to see somebody do a version of this for the collectors like me who can't identify with the cars on this show. When I "chase" a car I am scouring the net waiting for something to "pop up' that interests me. Then I go through the series of emotions ranging from "OH MY GOD, I Can't believe this is for sale and I found it first" to "How am I going to pay for this before somebody buys it out from under me?" I have to get out to the car which will most likely be buried under thirty years of kid's bikes, lawn furniture, the kiddie pool.

How about "Barn Finds". That's the big thing today. Go out and find them. I'm sure that Jay Leno isn't getting all of them. I know there are a lot of cars still out there. Just a few years ago a 1920's nice original limousine was pulled out of a garage just a few blocks from my house where it had been since the WWII. Think "American Pickers" but only for cars.

Speaking of Jay Leno, a few years back he found that Duesy in the Burbank garage and he broadcast it's recovery. Even though it was an expensive car, I was glued to my set because I wanted to know what the car was NEXT to it buried under some covers and crap. Looked like a roadster. The Deusy wasn't in number one shape but a real Barn Find, well garage find anyway.

How about, "This Old Barn Find"? Go interview people and recreate the blessed event. Have an "Andy Rooney" type segment at the end where he reads a letter from somebody who lost out on a great car or found one. Maybe he can give out clues like "Treasure Car hunt" as to where the elusive 40 Ford is hiding?

"Driving with the Stars', track down cars that were once owned by stars of today. What was "Jack" driving before he went over the cuckoos nest? Betty White's horse n buggy?

There is so much that can be done with America's fascination with the automobile than to watch hours of car auctions.

"My first car", People who still have their first car or even those , like myself, who are looking for theirs. Help them find it.

"WHAT THE *&%$# DID YOU DO TO MY CAR?" Follows pristine original cars that have the guts ripped out of them to fit a 350 Chevy and are painted candy apple red.

Ok, so I went one too far, but seriously folks, if TV is a vast wasteland then cable is the Sahara. Get some new ideas going mister or miss programers.

Gotta go. "My mother the car" is coming on.

bubba

Edited by bubba (see edit history)

Guest shadetree77

Good idea on the "Barn Finds" show. I just watched an episode of Hot Rod TV a few days ago entitled "Barn Finds". The entire episode followed Corky Coker(of Coker Tire fame)around Tennessee in his classic pickup while he was searching for barn finds. I thoroughly enjoyed it and the entire time I was thinking how I would LOVE to have a show based on this episode. I could even see Corky being the host. If you see this episode on TV make sure you check it out!

Good idea on the "Barn Finds" show. I just watched an episode of Hot Rod TV a few days ago entitled "Barn Finds". The entire episode followed Corky Coker(of Coker Tire fame)around Tennessee in his classic pickup while he was searching for barn finds. I thoroughly enjoyed it and the entire time I was thinking how I would LOVE to have a show based on this episode. I could even see Corky being the host. If you see this episode on TV make sure you check it out!

The show has been sold to The Travel Channel. Not sure when it will run.

Hopefully we will see mrearl and his `54 Buick on in the future.

Bob

Speaking of Jay Leno, a few years back he found that Duesy in the Burbank garage and he broadcast it's recovery. Even though it was an expensive car, I was glued to my set because I wanted to know what the car was NEXT to it buried under some covers and crap. Looked like a roadster. The Deusy wasn't in number one shape but a real Barn Find, well garage find anyway.

bubba

A friend bought that roadster. It was a Stutz, or Mercer, if I remember correctly.

Thanks West. That has been in the back of my mind ever since I first saw the program. I even called the Tonight show to find out but couldn't get an answer. Glad to see that there are some shows in the works. Hope they make it to air.

A friend bought that roadster. It was a Stutz, or Mercer, if I remember correctly.

Is your friend the good looking dude holding the steering wheel? It's a Model A Dusenberg Chassis.

The one that Jay Leno bought was a Model X Duesenberg. My Stutz supercharger came out of that garage too. Everything was purchased in the Chicago area during the 1930s and moved to California around 1950.

71406d1291499843-help-id-20s-roadster-dg02.jpg

"WHAT THE *&%$# DID YOU DO TO MY CAR?" Follows pristine original cars that have the guts ripped out of them to fit a 350 Chevy and are painted candy apple red.

bubba

They already have that show...It's called OVERHAULIN'.

Guest shadetree77

The show has been sold to The Travel Channel. Not sure when it will run.

Hopefully we will see mrearl and his `54 Buick on in the future.

Bob

Are you pulling my leg Bob?? Did they really sell that idea? That would be a great show! Would Corky be the host?

My son is starting out as a young filmaker and I have been trying to talk him into starting up a reality series dealing with the oldies. We could attend swap meets, visit backyard junkyards, barns, see whats going on with people throughout the nation on their projects,Visit Jay's garage, check out famous and not so famous collections, tech tips, bit of history...One would never run out of material. I would not waste much time with the personal stuff just push as much car info as you could get into each episode, not the usual 3 topics Title - something like "Vintage American"or???. We would have to make several episodes, iron out the bugs and peddle it hoping it would be picked up by the History Channel or..