1946 320 straight eight ?

smithbrother

I can always depend on it firing right up, but yesterday it didn't.

It cranked with plenty of speed, but NOTHING.

I removed the air cleaner, and when I move the throttle linkage and look down inside the carb I see very little squirt of fuel.

I removed the sediment bulb, found it full of fuel, and stains, but really no dirt or water. I did notice the gasket was wet, so removed the entire sediment assembly for a good cleaning. I found the cork gasket nearly gone, crumbled and falling out. I will make a new gasket tomorrow, but doubt it is my problem. I noted that the sediment assembly is a CARTER, were these factory installed? The carb is a Carter too.

I noticed a small steel line that screws into the manifold in front of the carb has been removed, and the hole in the manifold plugged. What is that line?

I suspect my problem is lack of fuel, so after replacing the sediment assembly and checking for leaks, I will squirt some fuel in the carb and see what happens.

Any and all comments are welcome,

Dale Smith in Indy

Yes, the Carter filter assembly is correct factory item for a Carter carb.

Is the steel line about 1/8th inch, ? If so, probably should go to the vacuum advance on the distributor. If it is about 1/4th or 5/16th, maybe for the wipers. On my '50, the vacuum advance goes to a connection in the base of the carb and the wiper vacuum line is behind the carb.

Ben

Dale,

Do what you described, and then pull a plug, lay it on the block and roll her over to see if they are firing.

I suspect your points might be dirty or not properly set. This would be a good time to also check your rotor and cap for any accumulated crud.

Just my $ .02

Mike in Colorado

It has a distributor up grade kit, it has plenty of spark, until a few days ago it started the second I hit the pedal.

It is fuel related, I haven't had time the last couple days to reinstall the sediment assembly now that I have cleaned and replaced the gasket. I'm guessing the carb is the issue, I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Dale Smith in Indy

Crank the car with the fuel line disconnected from the carburetor. It should shoot fuel at least halfway or more across the engine compartment. If the stream is weaker than that, you have a fuel delivery problem such as a weak pump or an obstruction in the fuel pickup tube in the tank.

I recently had a non-starting issue with my normally reliable 1950 320. The problem was in the distributor--I did as Mike in Colorado suggests, and it cured the problem.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

1950 76-R

1949 71

and others...

I drained the sediment bulb, cranked the engine, it filled the sediment bulb with gas very fast, it isn't a fuel pump, or a spark issue. It has a new battery, cranks very fast, but very little is squirting in the carb.

I will pull the carb and see how it looks inside.

Dale in Indy

Crank the car with the fuel line disconnected from the carburetor. It should shoot fuel at least halfway or more across the engine compartment. If t

I created a 'crispy critter' (the car not me) by doing that. A gauge to check pressure is a better idea.

Willie (survivor of engine fires, battery explosions, bumper jack collapses...)

If I were to do any FUEL PUMP SQUIRTING, I would fasten a long hose to the line, and run it FAR from any potential spark, and into a bucket, with a rag cover to prevent splash back.

Not a good idea to shoot gas in the engine compartment area, FOR SURE.

Thanks,

Dale in Indy