1st gen brake hose source

riv2x4

It has been a few years now, but I seem to remember that I got mine from my local auto parts store. They had to order them in, so it took a few days, but no real issue. I put in new wheel cylinders at that time also. As I recall, the rear ones were cheap and the front ones a bit pricey. Now would be a good time to convert to a dual master cylinder. There is a good write-up on how to do this on the ROA website.

Guest Kingoftheroad
It has been a few years now, but I seem to remember that I got mine from my local auto parts store. They had to order them in, so it took a few days, but no real issue. I put in new wheel cylinders at that time also. As I recall, the rear ones were cheap and the front ones a bit pricey. Now would be a good time to convert to a dual master cylinder. There is a good write-up on how to do this on the ROA website.

Did you convert to a dual master cylinder, Jim ??

I replaced my master cylinder some years ago but, elected to replace the master cylinder with an identical one...

Guest Kingoftheroad
Yes, I did.

I figured you would put it back to original. What master cylinder did you use ?? Did that part fit in the firewall without modification or did you have to modify to get the new master cylinder to fit ??

I've considered upgrading to front discs & duel master cylinder on my 64 but for right now I've been happy with the OEM setup.:)

Guest Kingoftheroad
JIme is the author of the article on the master cylinder swap. He's the guru if you have any questions.

Thats good to know, may need his expertise if I decide to upgrade my 64's brake system..:)

As Jim mentioned, the entire article with all the parts needed and a scaled drawing of a bracket he built for a distribution block is in Tech Tips section on the ROA's website.

It's not as much a matter of originality as it is a matter of safety. Jim did the dual master cylinder conversioin to his '63 but did not add disk brakes. No reall difference in braking, just a built in safety factor in case of a line breaking or something of that nature.

Ed

I figured you would put it back to original. What master cylinder did you use ?? Did that part fit in the firewall without modification or did you have to modify to get the new master cylinder to fit ??

I've considered upgrading to front discs & duel master cylinder on my 64 but for right now I've been happy with the OEM setup.:)

No irreversible modifications are required.

The OEM system works great, there is no doubt about that, until you have anything anywhere in the system leak. Then you have no brakes. I wanted the extra safety margin of the dual system. Stopping this 4200 lb. beast with no brakes would be tough. At least 1/2 a system is better than no system at all.

Check out the Tech Article for all the details.

Guest Kingoftheroad
As Jim mentioned, the entire article with all the parts needed and a scaled drawing of a bracket he built for a distribution block is in Tech Tips section on the ROA's website.

It's not as much a matter of originality as it is a matter of safety. Jim did the dual master cylinder conversioin to his '63 but did not add disk brakes. No reall difference in braking, just a built in safety factor in case of a line breaking or something of that nature.

Ed

I here the safety issue reasons alright....

I've made a few changes for safety & reliability reasons too..:)

Guest Kingoftheroad
No irreversible modifications are required.

The OEM system works great, there is no doubt about that, until you have anything anywhere in the system leak. Then you have no brakes. I wanted the extra safety margin of the dual system. Stopping this 4200 lb. beast with no brakes would be tough. At least 1/2 a system is better than no system at all.

Check out the Tech Article for all the details.

Thanks Jim, I'll keep your article in mind if I decide to upgrade my brakes..

Jim, I actually converted mine to a dual over 10 years ago because I have had brake failure, and it is no fun when it happens. I've sourced Bendix all around for the cylinders and yes the rears were much less than the fronts.

Larry

Hi, Gang. I have major brand, made in U.S.A. front and rear wheel cylinders for the 1963-65 Riviera, in case someone is looking. Just PM me.

These wheel cylinders are from about five years ago, when these cylinders were still being made in the U.S. Today, I believe all the major brands like Raybestos, Wagner, and Bendix are sourcing these parts overseas. You need to watch out for crappy casting metal that can have voids, cracks or excess porosity. John