Seeking Tinsmith

Guest Mochet

Guest Mochet

Could anyone recommend a tinsmith? I need an oil filler spout for my '13 Metz. It's part 2710 in this picture.

Phil (PA)

post-54178-143138970951_thumb.jpg

Could anyone recommend a tinsmith? I need an oil filler spout for my '13 Metz. It's part 2710 in this picture.

Phil (PA)

[ATTACH]130091[/ATTACH]

You may want to go to the nearest high school and look into their metal shop. It looks like the funnel I made in shop class years ago.

It also may have been made from copper or brass however any good sheetmetal shop would be able to make it without any problems but they would probably need a sketch with all the relevant measurments of exactly what you want.

I would think it could also possibly have had a fine mesh screen inside it to stop anything but oil being poured in there.

There are tinsmiths making furnace ducts and air conditioning ducts all over the US. Any of them should be able to help you , if you have dimensions or drawings to go by. Or even a battered sample to copy.

I used to know a whitesmith or tin smith who specialized in odd jobs like that. He spent most of one summer making authentic mess kits for War of 1812 re enactors. 100 of them. I'm sure he could help you, unfortunately he is dead.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Do you have any tech colleges near you? Many of the better ones have classes on specialty fabrication and might make one for you or maybe a local vo-tech school but the colleges are more advanced and have better equipment! Judging from the drawing ,you might be able to modify and existing metal funnel with a little imagination!

Phil,

A source that is often overlooked for us in the car world are the trades and craftsman in other hobbies. In this case check out the medieval tin smiths. These are the guys that can roll and bend metal into tight tolerances. Isn't this funnel assembly like an arm covering? I believe they can be found under this consolidated website:

METAL WEB NEWS

I think there are NewsGroups out there for many trades like casters, glass blowers, etc. Like us, they like a challenge.

Chris W.

friar1340@gmail.com