1996 Roadmaster Wagon info needed

Rich Morton

Good Morning,I am going to look at a '96 RMW this afternoon that is for sale.It is a relatively low mileage one owner car which seems to be pretty clean.My question is...it is supposed to have the tow package which I understand means it has some added on items[trans cooler, adjustable air ride,different gearing,etc]My research shows that the towing package is code V92.Does this added option show up in the vin # or just on the original window sticker? The vehicle is being sold by the original owner's son to benefit his Mom since his Dad had recently passed away.If anyone knows of anything related to the tow package that I can look for minus the window sticker to help me verify the tow package existence I would appreciate it.Also are there any suggestions for a hitch to buy and approximate related cost of same.Any ideas are welcome.Thanks,Rich

There should be a sticker inside the car, maybe the glove box or rear compartment with all the options that the car had when built.

more better info:

Identifying Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon Tow Package.

Visual:

1. Mechanical fan - there will be an engine driven clutched fan rather than an electric fan; the fan shroud will be curve upwards towards the hood and is above the radiator; the electric (non tow package) fan has a flat shroudless panel above the radiator; 2. auxiliary transmission oil cooler - visible at lower RH side in front of the radiator with in/out lines running back to the transmission;

RPO Codes - these are on the rearmost RH (passenger) side pillar and are on the SPID sticker visible when the tailgate is opened using the LH side hinges (not fold down hinge system) : GW9-2.93 axle; V08 - HD cooling; G67 - auto leveling rear shocks and V92- trailer provisions are on my tow package wagon. There is also an engine oil cooler as part of the towing package. G80-positraction is a very good option to have, but is not part of the towing package.

Edited by BUICK RACER (see edit history)

Guest James Friday

Hi Rich. If you look at the rear axel the tow pkg always has a rear stabilizer bar. No bar, no tow pkg. My cell:630-346-8334

In general, the "tow package" was the same as the "Performance Suspension Package" on Caprices. This was the upgraded suspension package (including a rear sway bar), P235/70R-15 tires, and such. Word was that "performance" was not in the Buick orientation when the last-gen Roadmasters were built, so what was "HD" or "Performance" on a Caprice became "Trailer Towing" items for the Roadmaster.

The engine oil cooler hooks to an "adapter" just above the oil filter . . . the adapter is attached to the block, then the filter screws onto it. Not quite like some are used to seeing, where oil lines attach to a cooler in front of the a/c condenser, but engine coolant circulates through the oil filter adapter instead.

The best ways to determine if the car has the towing provisions is the SPID label, as Roberta noted. That's very much like a "visible build sheet" for the vehicle.

ONE thing to be aware of is that even with "towing provisions", there ARE limits to what the vehicle can safely tow. It will NOT be in the same league as a HD2500 pickup, though. Please be aware of this!

Still, if the car is in good condition, it's ONE very luxurious people hauler!

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

Thanks to all of you who responded to my plea for info.I looked into the thread just before I headed over to look at the car and was able to see Roberta's suggestions which were particularly helpful.Everything checked out like it was spelled out here.Thanks again for your help,Rich;)

I use my '94 Roadmaster wagon to do quite a bit of towing. It did not originally come with the towing package to the best if my knowledge, but will haul anything I put behind it without a bit of trouble.

It's probably the most comfortable car to drive too. Much better than most vehicles that can haul things.

I hope you end up with it in your driveway!

Thanks Marck,Yes it did end up in my driveway.The funny part is the deal was made on Saturday but my wife was not informed 'til last evening when I had to break the news so she could drive me across town to pick it up:eek:.Keep in mind that she is not a "Big" fan of wagons.She even asked me when I was telling her we had something to pick up... " It's not a Station wagon is it?",at which point she was informed that indeed it was.:DLuckily for me she accepted it like the trooper she is,and I did not have to sleep in the back of my newly acquired gem:rolleyes:God I love this woman!!!:) I'm sure more than one on this forum can relate to this,hopefully with the same positive results as me.Now on to find a proper hitch to buy for it as I'm told they stopped making them for these vehicles.Take Care ,Rich

Just let your wife ride in it. It is like riding on a leather couch. Comfortable with lots of room. My wife was a bit skeptacle towards my 1991 Roadmaster wagon at first, but after 4 years of use every day, she loves it now.

Just let your wife ride in it. It is like riding on a leather couch. Comfortable with lots of room. My wife was a bit skeptacle towards my 1991 Roadmaster wagon at first, but after 4 years of use every day, she loves it now.

Riding on a leather couch. That is just about the most accurate description I've heard.

I'd add only one thing:

It's like riding on a leather couch mounted to the roof of a Corvette.

The LT1 tune port 350 In the 94-96 wagons is just the right amount of power.

I would love to have the LTI. 1991 was the first year they started making the Roadmaster wagon and it has a puny 305 engine. It is significantly underpowered. They learned something, though, because the 1992-1993 had a 350 engine. But the 1994-1996 had the LTI. Now that's the way to go. But I like my 1991, even with the smaller engine. It is unique.

One more time.Somehow it keeps deleting my Gmail pic. ;)

The gmail picture you're posting is hosted on your password protected email account. We wont be able to see it unless you give us all your password. Which we know you don't want to do. ;)

Try downloading the picture to your computer, then upload it to this forum, or use something like Photobucket, or Picasa web albums (google image hosting service)