DA Factory paint color/colour

Jason I would be very interested in original DA colours.

The remaining oxidised paint on the cowl and a few other spots, of which there is precious little, rubs back to a mid blue colour, (I'm no artist). There appears to be a different mid to dark green colour used on the dash. Would it be normal to have a different dash colour?

I found this pic, (can't remember where, or whose car this is, but it is on this forum I think). My colour scheme may be very similar if not identical.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

post-84687-143138949575_thumb.jpg

Quote 1930:

"And Id be more than happy to help with that, the dash would have been the body color, no two tone ( on the dash panel itself ) as this picture suggests on an original Detroit built DA.

I do not recognize this picture, I do not know where you found it but would be interested in seeing more of the car.

We would however need your serial number of the car, if we had that than you could contact Chrysler Historical for your build card and on that card will be you paint code which I can interpret for you.

If no serial number is available and no build card than we can do our best to find a color that would best suit what you would like to see on your DA from an original DA colorlist if that is the route you would like to pursue.

See the post Chrysler Historical for another example of a build card, these are what your DA would have been originally documented with"<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I found where that interior pic is from. A thread about interior finishes: http://forums.aaca.org/f143/dodge-da-293952.html

My serial number is still elusive....If there was a way to match my engine number with a frame number.... Engine number is the only number I have at this point.

Unless my build card, (which I hope to obtain someday), says otherwise, I restore my colour to what flecks are left on the body now - the mid blue colour. So that is definatley the route I would like to pursue. The green on the dash may need further investigation in better natural light, but at this point I'm thinking it is original or original enough to warrant keeping.

If you, (or anyone) have original colour info for DA's that would be a great help. I'd be interested to know about fender colouring as a rule too.

Thanks. :)

Edited by Dodgy6 (see edit history)

Guest 1930

Thanks, I had forgotten that thread, no defanite way of getting the original Detroit color without serial number, engine numbers could be much higher in the sequence than frame numbers or body sequence.

Your cowl is not Detroit built, it appears to have been manufactured there so I cannot tell you how exactly that worked at this point but since manufactured there than it wouldnt have carried any color combination from Detroit so you are prob. safe to paint it as you feel it was painted when the body was made.

It would appear to be a chasis only that was sent from Detroit, prob. fenders as well since they do not appear to be home-made. Fenders were always black enamel.

If you like blue and would like me to see what was offered in a Blue ( if anything ) than I can do so

... so you are prob. safe to paint it as you feel it was painted when the body was made.

...and what if I feel it was originally painted with flames up the sides and an indecent woman wrapped in a large snake on the hood? :P

Fenders were always black enamel.

I will go with black but I have seen other colours used. Are they non original paint schemes or are there exceptions do you know?

If you like blue and would like me to see what was offered in a Blue ( if anything ) than I can do so

I would like to stay true to what she has on her now. I am still not totally sure whether it is a blue, or a green, or both used. When I remove the cowl, I'll get it in the sunlight and will know better. Family staying for the weekend so no work done on the old girl for a few days. I'll check back with you on this.

Thanks. Ross.

Guest 1930
...and what if I feel it was originally painted with flames up the sides and an indecent woman wrapped in a large snake on the hood? :P

Depends on what she looks like and how much of her I can see

I will go with black but I have seen other colours used. Are they non original paint schemes or are there exceptions do you know?

Always black on DA

I would like to stay true to what she has on her now. I am still not totally sure whether it is a blue, or a green, or both used. When I remove the cowl, I'll get it in the sunlight and will know better. Family staying for the weekend so no work done on the old girl for a few days. I'll check back with you on this.

Thanks. Ross.

Im not goin anywhere ;)

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got around to pulling the cowl off. Life's been pretty hectic lately - 2 small children don't always make it easy to sneak off to the shed....

I put the cowl outside in the daylight so I could have a good at the remaining paint. I definately have two different colours - blue on the outside and green on the dash. Not a factory colour option....

Then I notice a paint run on the side of the cowl which tells me the truck has more than likely been resprayed at some time in it's life. I doubt very much it would have left the factory with a paint run like this. On the dash there is a really good spot of green paint that was under an aftermarket button by the steering wheel. Which leaves me wondering what my original factory colour was.

All this may be a little moot if I go by this table that I came across last night courtesy of this forum. If I read it right, then my '29 DA (originally a phaeton) only came in crocket brown and moonstone blue. Unless, of coarse, that Australian assembled Dodges didn't play by US colour rules....

post-84687-143138972738_thumb.jpg

Guest 1930

Just about dis-regard that color schedule, it is in-accurate and filled with holes.

They both look like the same color on my screen. Green

As I mentioned before I doubt your vehicle was ever painted by the rules

Just about dis-regard that color schedule, it is in-accurate and filled with holes.

They both look like the same color on my screen. Green

As I mentioned before I doubt your vehicle was ever painted by the rules

Well you were the one who posted the table originally, so it's your fault.....:P

They are def two different colours on my DA - blue and green. Colour matching over the internet is always subject to too many veriables to be a reliable medium. However, I do like the idea of using a blue like is on the outside of mine now. What blue is your Victoria? (is it a factory colour?) I'd love to see a moonstone blue vehicle. Do you have any more info or lists on what factory blue colours were available?

Ross:)

Edited by Dodgy6 (see edit history)

Guest 1930
Well you were the one who posted the table originally, so it's your fault.....:P

They are def two different colours on my DA - blue and green. Colour matching over the internet is always subject to too many veriables to be a reliable medium. However, I do like the idea of using a blue like is on the outside of mine now. What blue is your Victoria? (is it a factory colour?) I'd love to see a moonstone blue vehicle. Do you have any more info or lists on what factory blue colours were available?

Ross:)

Well like I had mentioned you can just about disregard that color chart but in this case it does coincide with the factory bulletin I have ( now that I have had the chance to look into it ) so the info is incomplete but correct.

The color on my car is not original.

There was as mentioned a moonstone Blue used on the Phaeton begginning with car # DA-66536 5/9/29 production date, prior to that Phaetons were offered in a Crocket Brown starting with car no DA-16 12/27/28

Might have the color chips but they would be almost useless as these darker colored chips really took a beating over time.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Well like I had mentioned you can just about disregard that color chart but in this case it does coincide with the factory bulletin I have ( now that I have had the chance to look into it ) so the info is incomplete but correct.

The color on my car is not original.

There was as mentioned a moonstone Blue used on the Phaeton begginning with car # DA-66536 5/9/29 production date, prior to that Phaetons were offered in a Crocket Brown starting with car no DA-16 12/27/28

Might have the color chips but they would be almost useless as these darker colored chips really took a beating over time.

Well that is good to know. Moonstone blue works well for me now as something to strive for when I get to the painting stage. (Don't hold your breath!!). We all need a starting point on these things if we wan't to achieve our own idea of "restoration". Whether or not the blue I end up with is comparible with the factory colour is something that may never be verifiable, unless I come across an original DA with that colour paint that has been garaged all its life in a lightproof box!!

In the mean time it is great to cram all these tidbits of info into my brain so they can perculate until the time comes for action.

I understand what you are saying about the colour chips.

Oh, and what parts are they referring to as "moulding" in that chart?

Many thanks again, Ross :)

Is there a DuPont chart from other years that lists "Moonstone Blue"?

These show the different blues available from the "DuPont Color Library" 1932-33. (See attached chart photos).

Would there maybe be DuPont color lists out there that would be more complete for 1929 colors than the Ditzler list in post #7? :confused:

post-67404-143138975433_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143138975443_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143138975452_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143138975461_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143138975471_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143138975479_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

Guest 1930
Well that is good to know. Moonstone blue works well for me now as something to strive for when I get to the painting stage. (Don't hold your breath!!). We all need a starting point on these things if we wan't to achieve our own idea of "restoration". Whether or not the blue I end up with is comparible with the factory colour is something that may never be verifiable, unless I come across an original DA with that colour paint that has been garaged all its life in a lightproof box!!

In the mean time it is great to cram all these tidbits of info into my brain so they can perculate until the time comes for action.

I understand what you are saying about the colour chips.

Oh, and what parts are they referring to as "moulding" in that chart?

Many thanks again, Ross :)

Molding is the body line that runs at the height of the level of the doors or cowl upper portion.

Just to sort out the DuPont Bulletins and Color Sheets :

Starting in 1931 for Chrysler Corporation, Bulletins were issued with the list of models and colours available, but with no colour chips. The Color Sheets had the colour chips and formulas, but no applications.

At the time Chrysler had no set model year, with the Engineering Department following the calendar year (sort of) and the marketing people following the advertised model year, which began in July / August and ended the following June / July.

The first set model year for Chrysler was 1933, which is why DuPont did not label their sheets with 1931 or 1932, but did starting with the 1933 model year.

For Dodge, Bulletin 1 covered the 1931 model year, Bulletin 2 for 1932 and Bulletin 3 for 1933. By 1935 the Bulletins had the colour chips and formulas and a listing of the colours used with fender, stripe and wheel information. With that, the Color Sheets were dropped.

So, referring to the DuPont Color Sheets posted earilier, the first sheet is tied to Bulletin 2, 1932 models, and is side B of page 3. The second sheet is side A of page 3.

The third and fourth sheets are linked to Bulletin 1, 1931 models, the third sheet being side A of page 1 and the fourth side B of page 1.

The fifth sheet posted is for Bulletin 1, 1931 models, and is side B of page 2.

The final sheet is linked to Bulletin 3, 1933 models, and is side A of page 4.

I have attached a sample of the Bulletins, this one being Chrysler Bulletin No 2 for the 1932 models. Sorry, nothing for Dodge.

Also, for those who are interested in what is missing, the second sheet is side A of page 2 which covers the 1931 models. The last is side B of page 4, for the 1933 models.

For Australian models, especially if the assembly and painting was done in Australia, the colours may be completely different from the U.S. The Canadian Chrysler and GM operations used unique Canadian colours for years.

post-82574-143138984204_thumb.jpg

post-82574-143138984209_thumb.jpg

post-82574-143138984218_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chrycoman (see edit history)

Just to sort out the DuPont Bulletins and Color Sheets :

Starting in 1931 for Chrysler Corporation, Bulletins were issued with the list of models and colours available, but with no colour chips. The Color Sheets had the colour chips and formulas, but no applications.

At the time Chrysler had no set model year, with the Engineering Department following the calendar year (sort of) and the marketing people following the advertised model year, which began in July / August and ended the following June / July.

The first set model year for Chrysler was 1933, which is why DuPont did not label their sheets with 1931 or 1932, but did starting with the 1933 model year.

For Dodge, Bulletin 1 covered the 1931 model year, Bulletin 2 for 1932 and Bulletin 3 for 1933. By 1935 the Bulletins had the colour chips and formulas and a listing of the colours used with fender, stripe and wheel information. With that, the Color Sheets were dropped.

So, referring to the DuPont Color Sheets posted earilier, the first sheet is tied to Bulletin 2, 1932 models, and is side B of page 3. The second sheet is side A of page 3.

The third and fourth sheets are linked to Bulletin 1, 1931 models, the third sheet being side A of page 1 and the fourth side B of page 1.

The fifth sheet posted is for Bulletin 1, 1931 models, and is side B of page 2.

The final sheet is linked to Bulletin 3, 1933 models, and is side A of page 4.

I have attached a sample of the Bulletins, this one being Chrysler Bulletin No 2 for the 1932 models. Sorry, nothing for Dodge.

Also, for those who are interested in what is missing, the second sheet is side A of page 2 which covers the 1931 models. The last is side B of page 4, for the 1933 models.

For Australian models, especially if the assembly and painting was done in Australia, the colours may be completely different from the U.S. The Canadian Chrysler and GM operations used unique Canadian colours for years.

Thanks Chrycoman. It's always good when you poke your head in here. :)

That's interesting what you say about the Australian models. I had thought, and said as much in the "Australian Histroy" thread we have going, that they must be painted in Aus seeing the assembly was done here and had wondered if there would be a colour variation to US vehicles.

I guess if I wanted to take my particular case to the next level and try for authentic colour as she rolled out of TJ Richards assembly plant, then I will need to search locally for more specific info.

Guest 1930

Quote.......Any truth to this..........Yes, what do you have Bob, just chips, who manufactured the cards? What colors do you have?

Guest 1930

Yes, I have the cards as well but there were many different cards and I would be interested to see what you have, thanks

Jason, Here are a few photos of what I have; the backs of the chips say late 1929-30 and are made by Acme White Lead and Color Works. The colors are as follows:

Gray Feld Spar

Ambato Green

Thorn Brown

Admiralty Gray

Scotch Gray

Fleetwood Gray

Sherwood Green

Ceylon Blue Spinel

Marquise Blue

Submarine Gray

Ardsley Green

Riviera Green

Gopher Gray

Thorn Maroon

Sheffield Green

Norfolk Green

Japanese Blue

Brazil Nut Brown

Note this may not be a complete set...also Dodgey, did not see your Moonstone Blue or Crocket Brown. Again, most of these seem very dark and almost black and I was told these chips get darker w/ age and may not be something to rely on as far as correct color.

Lastly, I found a couple of DB brochures w/ the chips ( one small orange one and a larger fold-out cream w/ blue one) and Jason, if I remember you have a Victoria, so included a couple of photos of that too.

post-56954-143138986782_thumb.jpg

post-56954-143138986803_thumb.jpg

post-56954-143138986821_thumb.jpg

post-56954-14313898684_thumb.jpg

post-56954-143138986859_thumb.jpg

Guest 1930

Yes I have these brochures, not sure exactly why but there was a blue version and an Orange version, both almost identical except one shows an additional model over the other, dont know why.

Yes same sort of chips I have, I am still looking for a Toga Marroon chip. Thanks again Bob

BTW if you ever decide to part with the chips let me know, there are some colors there I would like to have.

• 1 month later...

Now that I received my 1930 DA build record and have had my original paint colors defined by name, I am still somewhat puzzled because none of the previously posted color images have my colors: Musketeer Gray, Ambato Green and Packard Ivory. Do any of you have these colors in your literature with a possible Ditzler or Dupont color code equivalent? Thanks.

Edited by HBergh (see edit history)

Guest 1930

You might want to try and contact Dupont Historical, there is a special number you will find with enough digging of a dept that deals with color conversions and you may be able to get these as easy as that. I spoke with them a few years back in my own color search but I did not keep the number unfortunately.

Also you may try cross referancing your color with other makes, maybe a more popular make that used the same paint color and re-try with Dupont as it may not be avail for Dodge but may have been converted over for Chevrolet as an example.

In 1929/1930 there simply were not thousands of variables available as there are today so that makes it a little easier in one respect

You may also try and gather some original color chips which may have some of the info that may help on the reverse side as Bob had posted here on an earlier post. I have some of these as well, if you remind me here in the early evening than I can look and see if I have any of these chips that match your color.

On my way to work and when I get home this post will have prob. been dropped out of site and I may not remember to continue to add to it although I will try

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Guest 1930

Hello Howard, I was able to find Ambato Green, prob. wont be of much help since it provides nothing to cross referance but still interesting nonetheless. If you would like to see send me an e-mail and I will send over the weekend.