1936 Dodge paint chips

Guest 1930

Guest 1930

I have been going thru some of my stuff and I ran across these sheets, the colors on my comp screen appear less than vibrant comparing to the original but maybe if someone need a better version we can work something out.

I asked Stu last night if he was interested via e-mail but then thought maybe Jim would also be interested.

I have these sheets/chips going all the way back to 31 and some 29s as well.

I believe and I have prob. all the decoders at this point going back to 29 DA at least so maybe some of this will be of use to someone

I know there was some discussion recently about a specific green, maybe Palm green?

post-48869-143138946944_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138946963_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138946981_thumb.jpg

post-48869-1431389470_thumb.jpg

I've been trying to match the Avon Green and it seems similar to a couple of modern colors. I have an old Murphy chart but the color formulas are long gone. I did try to cross reference a DuPont number but it ended up being a Toyota color Beauchampe Green but it's too dark for Avon green. All the old charts I've seen seem to be faded out,it's hard to get a true representaion!

Guest 1930
I've been trying to match the Avon Green and it seems similar to a couple of modern colors. I have an old Murphy chart but the color formulas are long gone. I did try to cross reference a DuPont number but it ended up being a Toyota color Beauchampe Green but it's too dark for Avon green. All the old charts I've seen seem to be faded out,it's hard to get a true representaion!

I dont have the number avail to me now but could find it, you can also find it by doing some digging. If you call Dupont many of the original colors have been converted over to new formulas, the popular colors anyay. Good luck

Guest 1930
Jason I would be very interested in original DA colours.

The remaining oxidised paint on the cowl and a few other spots, of which there is precious little, rubs back to a mid blue colour, (I'm no artist). There appears to be a different mid to dark green colour used on the dash. Would it be normal to have a different dash colour?

I found this pic, (can't remember where, or whose car this is, but it is on this forum I think). My colour scheme may be very similar if not identical.

And Id be more than happy to help with that, the dash would have been the body color, no two tone ( on the dash panel itself ) as this picture suggests on an original Detroit built DA.

I do not recognize this picture, I do not know where you found it but would be interested in seeing more of the car.

We would however need your serial number of the car, if we had that than you could contact Chrysler Historical for your build card and on that card will be you paint code which I can interpret for you.

If no serial number is available and no build card than we can do our best to find a color that would best suit what you would like to see on your DA from an original DA colorlist if that is the route you would like to pursue.

See the post Chrysler Historical for another example of a build card, these are what your DA would have been originally documented with

Hi Jason

I had a look at my 1936 Dodge Color Bulletin from DuPont - It is a later version, "Issued December 30, 1935; Revised July 1, 1936". The revision includes the addition of two colors - 320 Archer Green and 601, 602, 603 Regal Maroon. The chips for these are on the back page and the listings for 1935 Chervrolet and Ford have been dropped to make room. Printing number in the lower left corner is (2-10M) probably indicating second edition - 10,000 printed. Otherwise it looks almost the same as yours. Thanks for thinking of me.

Jim

Guest 1930
Hi Jason

I had a look at my 1936 Dodge Color Bulletin from DuPont - It is a later version, "Issued December 30, 1935; Revised July 1, 1936". The revision includes the addition of two colors - 320 Archer Green and 601, 602, 603 Regal Maroon. The chips for these are on the back page and the listings for 1935 Chervrolet and Ford have been dropped to make room. Printing number in the lower left corner is (2-10M) probably indicating second edition - 10,000 printed. Otherwise it looks almost the same as yours. Thanks for thinking of me.

Jim

If you are able to share a copy of that via scan and dont want to post it here my e-mail address is jhason2@yahoo.com.

D-2 has offerered to share a scan of his build card after my request so that I may see how the paint identification numbers show up and he has described them as such..........One is hand written on the usual card stock. The other was on a thing like an IBM punch card! I have never seen another like it..........

Unfortunately his scanner is temp giving him fits so maybe someone here with a 36 would post a scan of theirs?

I understand that maybe some people would not want to post it on the net so again my e-mail address is displayed above, thanks

Guest 1930
wouldnt have a copy for '37 in there would you jason?

I hope this might help Paul, the further away from 30 the less material I have but I was able to save these some time ago, cant remember from where but I think it may have been color library

post-48869-14313895398_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138953983_thumb.jpg

Jason - We just acquired a new scanner but being technologically challenged, it may take a while to figure out how to use it. I'll let you know in a few days how we make out.

On the subject of versions of the color bulletin, it just occurred to me that the Archer Green and Regal Maroon may be the Special Spring Colors referred to in some April '36 print ads I have seen. Up to this point I have had no idea what those colors may have been. What do you think?

Jim

Guest 1930
Jason - We just acquired a new scanner but being technologically challenged, it may take a while to figure out how to use it. I'll let you know in a few days how we make out.

On the subject of versions of the color bulletin, it just occurred to me that the Archer Green and Regal Maroon may be the Special Spring Colors referred to in some April '36 print ads I have seen. Up to this point I have had no idea what those colors may have been. What do you think?

Jim

I think or would hope that D-2 or JPage might comment on this, I wish that I had a good answer for but I simply do not. As I run across this stuff I post it with only the hope that someone that owns one of these particular cars and studies them intensely can put the info together and share what they have learned with myself and everyone else.

No rush on the scans but if you cant make it than a snail mail would work just as well but again no rush, Thanks

I have not seen for myself the print ads speaking of the "Spring Colors" but have heard it mentioned here on the Forum a couple times. So with that knowledge, if they did add colors mid-stream, "36 D2 Coupe"s idea that those two colors were the "Spring Colors" added would be a very logical follow through. We would have to also find a later color chart that has those "extra colors" on it with a date on that chart that aligns with the "Spring Color" ad. Then I would say it was confirmed. But for now, the idea seems very logical and I would start passing the idea on if asked. Sometimes that is as far as we will get because, like in this case, there may not be dates published right on the color chart, hence no way to prove the hypothesis. That's as far as we may ever get on that idea.

OK. So now that I look closely at two of the posts above, I would think that there is positive information that those two colors ARE the "Spring Colors" mentioned in the ad. The original color chart was Dec 10th 1935, and the later revision was based on that chart but revised July 1st 1936. That is "after spring" so logically "36 D2 Coupe" has confirmed that the two colors "Archer Green" and "Regal Maroon" ARE the "Spring Colors" mentioned in the ad.

Good job "36 D2 Coupe"!

Now - if he could get scans of that July revision chart and post them here in this forum, we can all SEE what he has found (by comparing them with "1930"s scanned post) and the question would be obvious to us all. ;)

Hi everyone - Here are links to the ads for the 1936 Dodge Spring Colour promotion. They ran from April 7-23 1936 in the copy you'll see here. These are from newspaper archives on the internet.

The Miami News - Google News Archive Search

Reading Eagle - Google News Archive Search

http://fultonhistory.com/newspaper%202/Auburn%20NY%20Citizen%20Advertiser/Auburn%20NY%20Citizen%20Advertiser%201936.pdf/Newspaper%20Auburn%20NY%20Citizen%20Advertiser%201936%20-%200071.PDF

Please be patient. I'll try to get our scanner going so you can see the differences in the two paint chip sheets.

Jim

Guest 1930
I have not seen for myself the print ads speaking of the "Spring Colors" but have heard it mentioned here on the Forum a couple times. So with that knowledge, if they did add colors mid-stream, "36 D2 Coupe"s idea that those two colors were the "Spring Colors" added would be a very logical follow through. We would have to also find a later color chart that has those "extra colors" on it with a date on that chart that aligns with the "Spring Color" ad. Then I would say it was confirmed. But for now, the idea seems very logical and I would start passing the idea on if asked. Sometimes that is as far as we will get because, like in this case, there may not be dates published right on the color chart, hence no way to prove the hypothesis. That's as far as we may ever get on that idea.

Very well said, this is the sort of sharing that makes this forum what it is, seems there are very few problems that any one of us cannot get solved

Excellent! Now I have seen the ads too! Wraps it all up for me! Hope you can get the scans done! (Not too hard. Just try to scan at actual size - at about 150 to 200 ppi [higher not necessary] - and save as JPG so it is just around about 1.5MB in final file size. That will all make sense as you learn.)

The only color chart I have is an old Murphy Varnish Co. chart with the same colors as the ones pictured. I didn't know about the Regal Maroon until I saw the article on Darin Yazejian car and I have never seen a sample of Archer green. I have also never had any luck with a direct match to any of the original formulas! Also , these old charts seem to be way off of the original colors when matched to the original colors. Age I guess! In looking at the ads they do say "Spring Colors", but I wonder if they are refering to the shades and not the season. Dodge seemed to use a lot of advertizing that appealed to women,with references to current fashion trends and colors. I think they are trying to sell the idea of new ,fresh colors,that would be typical of Spring fashion, with an accent on lighter pastel type shades as the Avon Green, Merc.Opalescent,Strat. Blue and Dolphin Gray are of brighter ,lighter shades. A "new" look for a "new" car! Just my take!

Just as a side note...in looking for the color chart I came upon something I had forgotten about. I have a prestine owner's manual from one of my cars and in it was the original Owner's Service Policy for Serial no. 4097764. eng. D2-85273 delivered to owner (stating owner's name) on 3-28-36 by J.E.French Co. O'Farrel and Polk Sts.,San Francisco, California with 3 free service coupons, the original Calif. headlamp adjustment certificate, the original Willard battery warranty and original 12 mo. free lubrication service and inspection card with six mos. punched. Too bad no invoice or Bill Of Sale!

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

Guest 1930
The only color chart I have is an old Murphy Varnish Co. chart with the same colors as the ones pictured. I didn't know about the Regal Maroon until I saw the article on Darin Yazejian car and I have never seen a sample of Archer green. I have also never had any luck with a direct match to any of the original formulas! Also , these old charts seem to be way off of the original colors when matched to the original colors. Age I guess!

Myself and D-2 had the very same discussion via e-mail and in my opinion who knows what the original colors were if one were to compare to original cars. He had mentioned seeing what he felt was his original color on a panel that was underneath never exposed to sunlight ect.

In my buisness we call that overspray, we try our hardest not to make it since it is a waste of paint and depending on the substrate it is being applied over can reflect any number of different shades of what might have been considered even coverage with enough build to truly reflect what the color wheel may have had in mind for that variation.

His argument ( just as good ) was of course having to take into consideration that even though some of these paint chips may have been stored away from sunlight in closed books the acids and whatever was included in the chemical composition of the chips themselves and the paper they were placed on would have an adverse affect on how the colors may appear to us.

The decomposing appears to start at the outer edges of the chips, dont know why other than more exposure. Seems though that if it were my car and my chips and the centers appeared as vibrant as some of these chips Id be going with the chips while I still could.

Only two colors on my chart show alot of deterioration. The Palm Green and the Golden Beige,with the latter being the worst. The discoloration is mainly in the center around the glue area which has darkened a great deal. I do think that all the chips have darkened slightly but most are still clear and have a very glossy surface and look good under direct light!

Jason,

Regarding your 1937 color chart, would you please provide an exploded view of the Del Monte Beige or at least a text listing of the ingredients and weights/volumes. Also, I've heard that Del Monte Beige and Golden Beige were nearly comparable yet on the 1936 color chart the Golden Beige appears much darker. What are your thoughts on this matter? Is the difference attributed to my monitor, poor eyesight, an artifact of time on these charts, or a combination of all three? Thank you.

John

Guest 1930

Text is as follows ( hard for me to read as well)

6 1/4 oz Black TLE-2

2 1/2 oz White TLE-1

7 oz Oxide Yellow TLE-4

5 1/4 oz Red TLE-9

10 9/16 Polychromatic base TLE-15

I dont have the original versions of the paint chart for 37, its a scan of prob another scan of prob. another scan so I cant comment on what to make of the differences you are seeing with colors.

I would not rely on a scan of an image posted on-line as your comp. screen will show it as per the settings on your monitor at the very least.

Thank you for the paint information. Certainly takes the guess work out of reading some of the numbers.

Dodge had two versions of Golden Beige Metallic -

IM-1267 : Used on 1935 Dodges from the beginning until March 8, 1935.

IM-1518 : On March 8, 1935, serial number 3810686, it replaced IM-1267.

IM-1518 was used on 1936 Dodges.

The difference between IM-1267 and IM-1518 was in the polychromatic base lacquer used. The IM-1267 colour had aluminum flakes that could be easily seen in the paint, while IM-1518 the flakes are scarcely visible.

This change also affected Palm Green Metallic, Mercury Metallic, Dorset Grey Light Metallic, Gunmetal Metallic. Gunmetal Light Metallic, and Strarosphere Blue Metallic in the Dodge line, but the changes were done at differing times of the year.

IM-1518 was used by Dodge from mid-1935 through 1938. The colour was also used on 1936-1937 Chryslers (Del Monte Beige Metallic), 1936 DeSoto (Autumn Gold Metallic) and, listed as a Special colour, 1936 Nash (Golden Beige Metallic).

According to Ditzler, the following is the complete list of Dodge 1936 Spring Showing and Summer Special colours -

Star Blue No. 4 - IM-942

Hunter (Archer) Green - IM-1604

Blue Cloud No. 3 - IM-1645

Blue Cloud No. 4 - IM-1646

Star Blue No. 1 - IM-1647

Nickle Gray No. 2 - IM-1648

Nickle Gray No. 3 - IM-1649

Harvest Green No. 3 - IM-1650

Stone Beige No. 1 - IM-1651

Stone Beige No. 4 - IM-1652

Seamist Gray No. 2 - IM-1686

Seamist Gray No. 3 - IM-1687

Blue Cloud No. 2 - IM-1688

Chicola Green Metallic - IM-1689

Chateau Blue Metallic - IM-1690

All the above colours are listed as used by Dodge only.

Both Archer Green (IM-1604, code 320) and Regal Maroon (IM-1585, codes 601 and 603) are on the 1935-36 Ditzler chip sheet for Chrysler, DeSoto and Dodge. Neither is shown on the 1936 DuPont Dodge colour bulletin, but they are listed on later publications that list 1936 Dodge colours - Regal Maroon 246-31494 and Archer-or-Hunter Green 246-31525.

Aren't some of the colors you list above as the "Spring Showing' and "Summer Special" colors, colors that were only used on Canadian produced vehicles?

I have never seen them listed as colors available for US built vehicles.

No, the colours listed for 1936 were taken from the Ditzler's Dodge Car Color List, 1935 to 1946, which is for American Dodge production.

None of the mentioned colours were used by Chrysler of Canada in 1936, which included -

Black

Hunter's Green

Polo Green

Palm Beach Grey No. 2

Blue

Aquamarine Blue

Regal Maroon

Gunmetal

The DuPont code for the Canadian Regal Maroon is 246-8633 which is not the same as the U.S. colour of that name.

Bill

Toronto, ON

Interesting! Thanks much for posting that! (Came out nice by the way!)

The really interesting part is that NO PAINT CODES were listed for the '36 Spring and Summer" colors! It would not then show up on a Build Card Record! So were these cars "re-painted" at the dealership upon delivery? Were they painted at manufacture with no Build Card Record? How would future body men know the paint code to make repairs?

This is all very cool! If someone has one of these "Spring & Summer" special color cars - we would like to hear from you!

Guest 1930

Quote............Just as a side note...in looking for the color chart I came upon something I had forgotten about. I have a prestine owner's manual from one of my cars and in it was the original Owner's Service Policy for Serial no. 4097764. eng. D2-85273 delivered to owner (stating owner's name) on 3-28-36 by J.E.French Co. O'Farrel and Polk Sts.,San Francisco, California with 3 free service coupons, the original Calif. headlamp adjustment certificate, the original Willard battery warranty and original 12 mo. free lubrication service and inspection card with six mos. punched. Too bad no invoice or Bill Of Sale! ............Somehow I missed this portion of your post, WOW, what a find. I was not aware the Willard was still supplying batteries this late!

Guest 1930

I am also looking for trim code information, a decoder for these vehicles, has anyone seen one of these?

Guest 1930

On the copy of the build card I sent you there was a trim code of 292, next to the paint trim code. I am looking in my 36 parts book but am maybe missing it?

Guest 1930

Aha, now I see it, thanks

I guess Pile would be describing Mohair fabric?.

How about the color of fabric, strange that it is not listed on the 36 Build cards

post-48869-143138960023_thumb.jpg

Here's the whole thing from the "Preliminary Parts Manual":

TRIM

Code 292 Pile

Code 342* Broadcloth

Code 425 Leather

Code 426* Leather*

Code 427* Leather*

Code 428* Leather*

Code 430* Leather*

Code 480 Leather

Code 481 Leather

Code 482 Leather

Code 483 Leather

Code 550 Bedford cord

*Export

" NOTE - Trim material available in yardage or complete trim assemblies; when ordering give both car serial number and body numbers and submit sketch or sample. Orders for yardage must in addition show length, width, and direction of the stripe or weave when the pattern has to be used to match other trim."

There doesn't seem to be any discussion about colors though. Pile, yup = Mohair.

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

Interesting! Thanks much for posting that! (Came out nice by the way!)

The really interesting part is that NO PAINT CODES were listed for the '36 Spring and Summer" colors! It would not then show up on a Build Card Record! So were these cars "re-painted" at the dealership upon delivery? Were they painted at manufacture with no Build Card Record? How would future body men know the paint code to make repairs?

This is all very cool! If someone has one of these "Spring & Summer" special color cars - we would like to hear from you!

The build record probably had the Ditzler paint code recorded. No computers back then and no need to program special codes. Just write the number in the blank colour code slot.

Had a 1963 Studebaker Lark a few years back and I ordered the build record for it - Studebaker museum has build records for 1960-1966 Canadian-built Studebakers and 1936-1964 US built.

The paint code was a CIL number. Checked the list I have of CIL paint codes and the original colour was a 1951 GM of Canada blue. Forget the exact name. Talk about a special order order colour!

The Studebaker had more rust on it than steel in some very important places. And thus would consume more money than I could manage. Somone who needed the glass and a few other good pieces took the car.

Bill

Toronto, ON

The build record probably had the Ditzler paint code recorded. No computers back then and no need to program special codes. Just write the number in the blank colour code slot.... Bill Toronto, ON

So,what you are saying then is that the Build Record Card for cars made with the "Spring & Summer" colors would have the whole "IM_" paint number on them instead of just a three digit color code? :confused: