How do you keep flying insects from your old car?

keiser31

Anyone got a remedy to keep wasps away from my 1931 coupe? I park it outside to go somewhere and within minutes the wasps or mud daubers or whatever you call them are trying to get in my car. I do NOT like to share a ride with them. What can I do? I already have a "No Riders" sign idea.

What color is the car? Interior seat and trim fabrics/materials? Use of "protectants"?

Now, here's why I asked those questions . . .

In the spring of 1975, I purchased a used 1970 Dodge Monaco Brougham 4-dr hardtop. It was the medium green metallic (not the darkest, not the lightest green metallic color Chrysler had back then) with a darker green factory vinyl roof and a darker green vinyl interior (split bench w/passenger recliner, for what it's worth). Covering our driveway is a large pecan tree, probably about 90 years old or older. Our other cars are white or "not green". There wa also some honeysuckle vines on the fence, plus other larger vegetation close by.

I'd be out cleaning the windows or something inside the car, with the windows down on a nice spring day, breeze blowing and such. I'd be doing what I was doing and I'd notice a wasp suddenly fly in and look like it was going to stay a while. Or at least doing some reconnaissance work. I'd do what I could to gently suggest it leave, after I saw it had other things on its mind than stinging me. After it'd leave, I'd put the windows up. This happened enough that I started doing my cleaning elsewhere (car wash or park by the municipal lake).

My suspicion was that they recognized "green" and then flew inside (to the darker green area) for a look see. Even with the windows up, they were still attracted. At that time, too, I kept the top Armor-All'd, plus the tires and interior areas. But they never flew up to the tires. So I figured it had something to do with "green" and possibly "textures".

Perhaps the "green" signalled "food source"? I don't know. Just learned to never leave the windows down in the spring, unless the car was in motion.

In later years, as the car became more "in one spot", there were some small wasp nests that appeared on the rear edge of the lh front fender (which I discovered one night I went to look at something inside of the car -- yikes). I didn't know it was there and openned the door as I normally would, leaned across to the glove box, then saw the sleeping nest as I was exiting. I closed the door gently.

Just my experiences . . .

NTX5467

Anyone got a remedy to keep wasps away from my 1931 coupe? I park it outside to go somewhere and within minutes the wasps or mud daubers or whatever you call them are trying to get in my car. I do NOT like to share a ride with them. What can I do? I already have a "No Riders" sign idea.

Are you using any "scented" products such as polishes, waxes, interior scent sprays? The reason I ask is I used a wax with a cherry scent to it many years ago and it attracted bees. Stopped using that wax and it stopped. Some of the interior cleaning products are heavily perfumed. Something to consider.

Peter J.

I noticed a lot of wasps flying around my daughter's play structure yesterday and today. The weather was very pleasant and warm. I noticed that after a while one caught a spider in it's own web that it had just spun. There were also a few other small garden spiders in the rafters of the structure and the wasps were checking them out as well. My theory behind all this is the wasps are out hunting spiders or whatever they like at the moment.

I've also found wasp nests inside the post holes in the tops of the beds of two different pick up trucks I've owned recently. One truck was brown and the other blue so color had nothing to do with it and neither had been washed recently nor ever waxed in all the time I owned them.