1925 Brake work

dibarlaw

Finally got around to using my home made puller to take care of the badly leaking right rear wheel. Have a lot of scrubbing to do, Also made new slinger gaskets and will install the new felt seal from BOB's. Will look forward to stopping with 4 instead of 3 wheels! Any tips?

Larry

post-79073-143138931888_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143138931895_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143138931902_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143138931908_thumb.jpg

Guest Mike Hanning

Hi Larry,

Soak the new felt seal in glycerine, that will stop it from letting oil come through it.

Best regards,

Mike Hanning

Christchurch

New Zealand.

Larry

I modified the seal retainer to take a modern seal.

It's a two piece part that is spot welded together so I drilled some holes to keep alignment when it came apart. Used some small machine screws to put it back together with the new seal inside.

Of course you've see current photos of the car so we may never know if this actually works! I am concerned about keeping things concentric; felt is a bit more forgiving in that regard! Hope to find out that this works!

Brad

Friday I was going to clean the E Brake band, reinstall the slinger with the new gasket and felt(soaked in glycerine as recomended) and put everything together. But the rear of the e-brake band rivet heads were worn thru. As I studied the fastening of the linings. Did not make sense. The ends were countersunk with round heads on outside (wear side) all others in field surface

round heads inside with the split rivet ends piercing the lining material. All apear to be worn thru to the steel splits. Looks like the rivets were just driven into the woven lining. No holes and countersinking. Most of the lining thickness is 3/16-1/4" On the external contracting band this is opposite. Again split rivets but round head on outside with the splits driven into the lining all show

worn to the splits. This lining is uniform 1/4" thick. When I first assesed the car before purchace I was satisfied that the brakes looked good. By the indicated thicknes. As I see the Shop Manual plainly shows countersunk rivets. With a 3/16 thick lining. I will check the other wheels. But it now looks like I need to reline all to avoid any further damage to the drums. Recomendations for suppliers?:(

post-79073-143138938491_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143138938497_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143138938502_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143138938504_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143138938509_thumb.jpg

I agree with Larry Schramm,I can`t belive that the heads should be on the metal side.

Larry,on all my cars I have not cut of the lining as it`s is on yours I have one lining around the brake metal band.And you can`t use new type of lining if you will use rivets,then you need old type of lining.

If you are using new type of lining you can have them glued.

Leif in Sweden.

Leif:

The 2 piece lining arrangement on the external bands matches the parts book

photos. Part numbers 170056 & 170057. Open space where the brake band anchor clip (#169586) is located and riveted to band. The linings on the externals are 1 3/4" wide. The internal is 1 1/2"wide noteing that the Shop Manual calls for 1 3/8"wide. The lining material is the woven style with brass wire. All the linings look thick enough. I would think I could cut off the rivets and drill through to the rivet shank hole diameter and then countersink on the correct side. This appeares to be the same material that my 1937 clutch was relined with and it was riveted. Then of course I would need the correct rivets. Sorry to say when I worked at a local Buick garage in 1976 we scrapped the rivet machine and press. "No one relines shoes anymore". Could shure use it now!

Larry

Larry,you are right there are 2 piece lining on each external bands in the parts book.On all my 20s Buicks they most have change to one piece lining,therefor I have done the same and it works very well too.But next time I can use the shoter lining pices I have.

Leif in Sweden.

Another set back with my car. I thought I gave correct information on the outside diameter of the e-brake band (35 1/2"). Which would be the inside diameter of the lining. I asked for a few inches more than 6' and I would cut to fit exactly They just cut 2 - 36" lengths (outside diameter) now they are both 1 1/2" short. It seems that I just can't get ahead with my 25.

Larry

That seems really strange. OD of brake band should have given you (more than) correct lenght. Didnt you use OD of brake drum instead?

Supposedly you have had to work with OD of the lining (not ID) or brake band ID. If you use PI factor (3,14) on 2X lining thickness (I assume 2x1/4"=1/2") then your calculated difference is approximately 1 1/2" on lenght, which is the difference you observe. You cannot negotiate with math - the formula for circle lenght is PIxD as you likely know.

My 28 part list show the exact lenght of lining required for a car, so it could be the same case for 25 part list as well. Another reason to spend some money on part lists.

Josef

Edited by pepcak (see edit history)

Well the 36" lining sent was clamped /stretched tightly and came up 1" short.

I then asked them to then send one piece 76" long and I would cut it myself.

Well that's what it said on the invoice when the new lining arrived friday. But measured at 74"!

I will have to be carefull!

Larry

Edited by dibarlaw
Missplaced words (see edit history)

Have the new lining riveted to the E brake band. I had to make up some copper rivets on the lathe for the ends. Drilled and countersunk all. Then put 6-32 screws in to hold as I worked around. After school I went to a local old line hardware store. (Service department to work on small gas engines etc.) Where they let me use their rivet machine. Now 3 more wheels!

Larry

Larry

There is a slight grin here from Oz, after 2.5 years of axles seal leaking, mine is on the left side generally - which must account for the southern hemisphere ;)

Leif's advice for oil level has been noted, along with the Glycerine trick! I have also moved to 250 grade oil and this has only made a small difference.

Interestingly, last month when I took the wheel off to check over a couple of things and clean the brakes from oil build up, I found that the E Brake linings were up for replacement - so I hope this gives you some reassurances that it is not only yours.

I am currenly running a program which avoids the use of the emergency brake, so that I don't have to replace the band!!! So far there have been no emergencies!!!

Hope you will be back out on the road soon. It is turning cold here (well not really compared with Europe or US) - but I assume that things are getting warmer for you and all of this hard work will have you ready for summer...

Regards

Ben

The 4-4 1/2 rivets arrived today and have the countersunk lining riveted on. The small bench mount press (PLYMOTH) takes a lot of muscle to get a good set. I also turned a setting punch to finish off the set, getting a better form.

I thought I bought brass rivets, but turned out to be annodized steel. Little harder to set than the few brass ones I had to do the short lining.

Larry

1925 -25

1937-41

1987-S-10