windshield for 90 conv.

BillN

Hi,

My daughter just informed me that the windshield in her 1990 conv, has begun to crack across the lower middle. I called the glass shop and they indicated they didn't have a new one in stock, would have to check elsewhere and get back to me. Are these truely hard to find, or just maybe a problem for this particular shop? do I have to go hunt for a good used one? or are NOS ones still around?

Thanks,

Bill

Many insurance companies replace front windshields for free. Some policies (as I have read by others) have a $100 deductible on what would be a $1,500+ claim. I'm sure others will contribute to share their experience/knowledge.

Call your local Safelite. If you have one locally, they should be able to get one.

If push comes to shove, you might try calling Pilkington (the maker of new Reatta windshields), and see if they can find you a distributer close to you.

Also, if you're close to Raleigh, NC, I have a few nice used windshields available. If you bring your car here, I'll have it swapped on site.

Bill,

Pilkington is the only manufacturer for the Reatta windshield, thus any auto glass company has to order it from them. Now, there may be big outfits like Safelite that might stock one in a few major cities, but the demand is so low for this glass that I would be surprised if it doesn't have to come directly from a Pilkington warehouse on special order.

Moreover, I don't know if Pilkington keeps these in multiple warehouses, or in just one location. That may affect the time to obtain one as well. When I had my 91 windshield replaced a couple of years ago, the "retail" price was over $2000, but for insurance purposes billed out at about $1500.

I paid my regular $500 deductible (Missouri does not require no/low cost windshield coverage on auto insurance policies as some states apparently do) and was glad at that, as I was at least spared paying full retail cost. I think it took the glass outfit I used 2-3 days to get one in. Point being that they are readily available, but have to be ordered in due to their rarity and low demand.

If you are covered for this on insurance, I would heavily suggest getting a new one. Used windshields, no matter how nice, will have at least some minimal amount of pitting/sand blasting from years of use on a car.

More importantly, the rubber moulding surrounding the glass is molded onto the windshield and if it is showing signs of dry rot/deterioration, it is already going bad and there is no good way to replace it separately due to it's being integrated onto the edge of the glass. Also, many used windshields have the tint-band at the top edge discolored from blue to more of a brown color due to age and UV exposure.

KDirk

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)

I know of a GOOD windshield on a Maui Blue Convertible in Duluth,GA. I pulled all

useable parts from this car. I didn't need a windshield, so I left it, Keith was going to

get it, but as of yesterday it was still there. If you are interested, I can have the local

glass shop pull it for you, to pull the window and install into your vehicle I believe it

is $150 total. I would expect a small fee in addition for my assistance in getting the

window for you.

PM me personally if you are interested in this windshield.

Hi,

Thanks for all your prompt and thorough responses. I just got a call from the local glass shop. (Henderson) and they said they could get a windshield for $2200. I guess they have gone up a bit! Anyway, I am going to call our insurance co next and determine how much they are willing to share in this. Then proceed. I would like to put a new one in.

I am located outside Detroit so the trip to GA is out of the question. If Picklington woudl allow me to pick one up in Columbus, I would consider going to their warehouse, but doubt they want to do that.

Before you settle with the insurance company, take a look at this website Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market they have a number of windshields in Michigan. Maybe one is close by you.

As a helpfull hint, if your insurance company doesn't want to get involved line up the yard you want to get the windshield from, get a glass company to meet you there and they can install it for you right there.

Or if that doesn't work, buy the windshield, tape it to your existing Reatta's windshield and drive it home. I have never tried this but read about it a few years ago.

Thanks for all your insights. I checked with my insurer and I have a $250 deductible so I will go thru them. Interestingly, while one shop quoted $2200, another one I checked with indicated they could get the Pilkington one and install it for just over $1300. so there is a a wide margin it appears.