1938 Buick Engine to ID

Grandpa

The attached pictures show the engine and serial number pad of an engine installed in a 1938 Buick Century. The engine number appears to be "P 3524899". Any help in determining the year of this engine would be appreciated, as I don't doesn't seem to be correct for a 1938. Thanks.

Grandpa

post-52807-143138915839_thumb.jpg

post-52807-143138915847_thumb.jpeg

Grandpa: I agree with Grant. Number seems correct for 1938. Not sure what the "P" is unless it's a badly formed "R" for a replacement engine; although it's my understanding the letters "RE" were used on the factory replacement engine program starting in 1945. What else leads you to believe this may not be a 1938 engine? From your pics the valve cover, carb and starter switch seem correct.

Grandpa: I agree with Grant. Number seems correct for 1938. Not sure what the "P" is unless it's a badly formed "R" for a replacement engine; although it's my understanding the letters "RE" were used on the factory replacement engine program starting in 1945. What else leads you to believe this may not be a 1938 engine? From your pics the valve cover, carb and starter switch seem correct.

The "P" is actually a number "6". Grandpa and I are discussing this car off the forum and it's a Century so the 6 is for 60 series. So all looks good with the engine as correct for the car in question.

• 4 months later...
Guest Kevlardj

I am a complete novice and newbie to old Buicks but I bought one anyway. Now I need help as well. My motor is in need of a rebuild as the engine blows by too much oil past the rings. I need a replacement engine for my 41 Buick Special Series 40. I found an engine with this number on it 44314998. I need to know if it is the correct size for my car. Please help. I need to have the engine shipped from Illinois to Florida so before I spend the bucks I want to make sure its the right one. Thxs, Kevin

Guest Grant Magrath

See post No2 on this thread. I've put a link up for Buick engine numbers. Going by the chart, it looks like a 1941 Series 40 engine. Double check, just in case.

Cheers

Grant

• 11 years later...

I got a 38 Buick engine is black trying to find out how to get the right water pump for it ordered one supposed to fit but lower rad hose neck to short bolt holes won’t line up hitting timing case cover  help please .e Maynard at emaynard27@yahoo,com.

32 minutes ago, Elva Maynard said:

I got a 38 Buick engine is black trying to find out how to get the right water pump for it ordered one supposed to fit but lower rad hose neck to short bolt holes won’t line up hitting timing case cover  help please .e Maynard at emaynard27@yahoo,com.

Got a photo?

Serial number? But the numbers can be changed

You may have a later engine.