Can anyone give me some information on the "Vibration Dampener"

Guest AndrewReatta

Guest AndrewReatta

I'm working on replacing the crankshaft sensor on my 89 and as it states in the manual, you have to take the bracket and this dampener off... Well I've gotten the bracket off the engine but cannot get this dampener to come off. If i put a ratchet on it, all it does is spin and putting a wrench on the bottom nut doesn't seem to effect anything either. Also after trying this I noticed that the dampener has spilled oil and extends where I don't recall either of those things before. With all this oil coming out is this the end for my dampener? I've looked in the parts manual but am afraid I don't really know where to find the pages to get some relevant part numbers. I'm hoping someone will know what I can do with this and if there are any tricks to removing it I'd like to know. Thanks.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Sounds like yours is shot. Not available anymore except used.

Wrap shaft with a rag to prevent scarring and use a vice-grips at top of shaft to prevent spinning and turn nut off.

Guest AndrewReatta

Nice....

Well what is the likely hood of me finding a good one at the junkyard? Is this the kind of item that would be used on later 3800 series engines because I'd think the newer I could go the better off I'd be. Or the possibility of someone here having a decent one could be an option.

I have to agree with Jon on this. GM in particular has a long history of bean counters watering down the design of their cars (part of the reason they lost so much market share over 3 decades but that is not the subject of my post) and if this part was deemed not necessary, it would most assuredly have been omitted for the cost savings that could be realized.

Now, I am not an engineer, so cannot say (or reasonably predict) what may or will happen with the drive line vibration damper absent, but I do not intend to find out on my own car. I did get Jon to send me one spare he had, and it is the correct part. I've not installed it yet to replace the factory original one on my 1991, but I will be soon.

I guess my point in all this is if the damper is removed, do so at your own peril and do not be particularly surprised if something else breaks or wears out as a result.

KDirk

Guest Mc_Reatta
Guest Mc_Reatta

There's more, how about a Mfr #: SG403011 for the 350SL. Should be similar engine size and weight wise, but I don't think any of the MBs that these are for had a transverse mounted engine, so none of them may be a true replacement.

What PN are you talking about Jon, and what is your rational for thinking that's the proper one?

Guest Mc_Reatta

Unfortunately while those parameters are great for fit, they tell you nothing about function. What's more important is what the internal pressure and the damping rates are. This is what compensates for the vibration transfer between the engine and chassis, and prevents the buildup of energy near the engine/chassis resonant frequency. Just like the wheel struts, this has to be tuned to the specific application. So while yours may fit nicely, the engine/chassis may not appreciate the "ride quality" it provides.

That's why I would lean towards one for the MB 350, 380 models as these engines should be similar to a GM 3800 size and weight wise, but since these were standard rear wheel drive configurations, front to rear mounted not transverse, I doubt the vibrations in the chassis/engine may be that comparable to a Reatta's.

These dampers were used on many imported cars. I've seen listings for Porsche, Volvo and BMW, but none had as many listings as MB has.

There are many manufacturers of these dampers. Stabilus, Febi (Bilstien), Swag and Sachs (ZF) to name some I've found. The first three are all associated and they all look very similar, while Sachs appears to be the manufacturer of the ones in the Reatta judging by looks. But none of their web sites gives any indication of a link with the PN on ours of GSC 3078.

This appears to be a dead ringer for the Reatta's, but who knows for sure:

1990-1991 Mercedes Benz 350SDL Engine Shock – Sachs W0133-1625531 - Direct OE replacement

can also be found at Amazon cheaper. Order thru Ronnie's site if interested:

Amazon.com: Sachs Engine Shock: Automotive

I offered to buy abunch of them and sell them at my cost, But no one was interested.
Siorry Mc, but NONE of those part numbers are the correct one.
Because I and DKirk have one that is the correct lenght and travel and thread.
Hey, Make any of them fit. I don't care. I happen to have the exact replacement Damper for the Reatta.

What's the deal?

We have a new user looking for assistance with this part. If you're selling them, tell us how much. If you're not what possible reason could you have for withholding the part number??

What's the point of this? :confused::confused::confused:

Edited by Rawja (see edit history)

Jon, I appreciate what you are trying to do, but IMHO your large purchase should have only been 10 or maybe 15 of them. As I said when you originally wanted to do this, that I had tried 2-3 years earlier to get the vibration dampening shock and all I could come up with were 15.

Also when I tried getting inverters, I could only come up with 16 [and two were for me].

There just isn't any interest in buying stock for inventory. Too many people just want to wait until it breaks and then they will buy.

Unless you want to carry the inventory of course.