1930 model 64 roadster restoration

Guest buckfarmer

Guest buckfarmer

Thought that i would post a couple of pictures of my progress so far. I have replaced all the wood and sandblasted and painted the frame. Also a picture of the steering wheel i am trying to make. I wasnt prepared to do all the finger joints like the originals.

post-64154-143138903122_thumb.jpg

post-64154-143138903126_thumb.jpg

post-64154-143138903129_thumb.jpg

Edited by buckfarmer (see edit history)

I agree, it will be interesting to follow this progress. It would be interesting to see some "before' photos. I am not sure of your expected tsarget for completion, but it would be nice to have that done for the Portland National 2014.

John

Guest buckfarmer

Some before pictures as requested. It's hard to see in the pictures but all the wood was soft or rotten.

Neil

post-64154-143138905512_thumb.jpg

post-64154-143138905531_thumb.jpg

post-64154-143138905549_thumb.jpg

post-64154-143138905568_thumb.jpg

post-64154-143138905586_thumb.jpg

post-64154-143138905604_thumb.jpg

Well done Neil, I like your " can do " attitude.

The woodwork looks excellent and you have progressed a long way - doesn't seem that long ago you were discussing other aspects of this vehicle even your initial purchase.

So many people steer clear of a wooden framed car because of poor condition origanal woodwork but you ( and others on this PreWar Forum ) have demonstrated these can be remade with a little time, equipment and perserverance.

I don't think I would recommend attempting rewooding a 4 door sedan ( 4 doors to fit, wind up windows!! ) but open cars, particularly roadsters with only 2 doors and a deck lid are do-able particularly if you have old woodwork as a template.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted ( I need the inspiration as my next project is looking like a 1929 model 54CC convertible coupe with NO WOOD for templates ).

Guest buckfarmer

Stuart I have saved all the old wood. I thought that it might be helpful to someone needing templates. Let me know if you are interested. Not sure how much different your 29-54cc is from my 30-64 still might be helpful as a guide.

Neil

Neil,

I had to replace about 1/3 of the wood in my 1930 model 68. I am currently getting my car ready for paint and this last weekend made use of a tip that Stuart described a couple of years ago that is applicable to coupes and roadsters. When you reassemble the panels on the car, notice the seams running down the back. In my case joining both sides of the seam back together was a real bear as that quarter panel had a mind of it's own and did not easily want to go together with the trunk area once the original stress was relieved when opened to replace the bad wood. Had to sort of jack/clamp it back into place with a couple of cargo straps to get it positioned correctly. Picture #2 shows the seam before I jacked it into place and nailed it in.

Stuart described a process where the aluminum trim strip which was originally nailed on to cover the seam is a bit tricky to replace. Assuming it did not get damaged when removing it from the car, there is no way that it can be reapplied as it was originally installed. The secret is to cut off the nails, drill and countersink holes, apply screws, and fill the countersunk heads. Hope this tip helps you as well.

Thanks,

post-63406-143138906276_thumb.jpg

post-63406-143138906285_thumb.jpg

post-63406-143138906293_thumb.jpg

post-63406-1431389063_thumb.jpg

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)

Guest buckfarmer

Thanks a bunch Micheal,

I haven't gotten that far yet, but was concerned how I was going to reapply those aluminum strips. Mine came off easily because the wood was soft, so they are in perfect condition with all the nails still in. I will be using the method you described for sure , thanks a again. As for the rear quarter panels, I have had them on and off at least a half dozen times while I was tweeking the fit of all the wood. So I have that process down to an art. Also your car looks fantastic, well done.

Neil

Guest buckfarmer

A couple of photos of this weeks progress. Finally finished the body work on all the fenders and frame skirts. So a couple coats of epoxy primer and some high build primer.

Neil

post-64154-143138911703_thumb.jpg

post-64154-143138911728_thumb.jpg

post-64154-143138911752_thumb.jpg

Guest buckfarmer

I also got a question. I opened a can of olive green engine enamal from Bob's automobilia this morning and it doesn't look to be the right color. It appears to be to dark when I compare it to the picture of Micheal's car above. Has anyone had this happen before? Maybe the color is right, I have only ever seen pictures of other peoples engines. Here is a photo of the paint in the can, I still haven't used it yet.

Neil

post-64154-143138911776_thumb.jpg

Edited by buckfarmer (see edit history)

Neil,

That is the exact same paint that I used on my engine. I got it from Bob's as well. The change could be due to a different batch, but assuming he is still using the same supplier, I suspect the color difference is just a photographic effect.

Thanks,

Hey Buckfarmer, I have to chime in...outstanding woodwork on your roadster! I did a 27 roadster body some years ago and it looked just like your 30 framing. Re; the statement about wooding a four door sedan; I agree people blunder into way more than they bargained for buying pre-37 Fisher bodied cars, but if you know what they consist of and you want it bad enough, you emulate the beaver damming a major tributary and start in...one stick at a time. You gotta want it!

Steve Gorthy BCA #44510

1931 Buick Model 87

• 3 weeks later...
Guest buckfarmer

Been a little while since I posted any progress. Been busy lately with the farm, snow melted and there are other things to do now other then work on the roadster. I did get some time this week, and started to reassemble the motor. Pulled a few shims from the rods and mains in order to bring things back to specs. I haven't been able to find any torque specs so I have been using nominal specs for bolt sizes. I used 65 lbs on the rods and 75 lbs on the mains. But now I am starting to second guess myself, I was baseing my torques on grade 8 bolts, but its been suggested to me that the bolts on my car are probably only mild steel. I torqued the head down to 50lbs and quit there. Has anyone done any engine work on these old cars? Any thoughts would really help.

1930 6 cyl 331 CID

Neil

• 1 month later...

Hello Buckfarmer

I saw your pictures of 1930 Buick Roadster wood body frame. I have two Roadster 1930 model 44 and 1931 model 8-64, need alot of replace all wood. Could you make several picture close area this wood back seat and glove box? I know that your model is large serial than mine car but get to close enough to make a new wood. Hope you can help me some. Email ram05dodge@gmail.com Thanks

Regards

Rodney