help needed posting links

R.White

:confused:I recently wanted to direct forum readers to an item - a Dodge Brothers emblem - that is currently on Ebay but I don't know how. On this forum, I have sometimes seen the word "here" for example which if you click on it takes you to a destination. I don't understand what abreviations like pdf or url stand for but perhaps someone would be kind enough to educate me on what to do? Thankyou.

Ray

Nope, I went to Ebay and right clicked on the bar at the top left of the page that I wanted and it lit up then a block with various words appeared. I right clicked on paste and it went blue but nothing else happened. What did I do wrong?

Guest rockerarm

Nope, I went to Ebay and right clicked on the bar at the top left of the page that I wanted and it lit up then a block with various words appeared. I right clicked on paste and it went blue but nothing else happened. What did I do wrong?

Right click on the ebay site address bar...... a drop down menu appears..... click "copy"

Now go to this site and thread where you want to post the info..... right click in the dialog box, (just like this one), .... Then from the drop down menu select "paste" .... Congradts....!!!! you did it.

When I right click on the long bar on the leftat the top of the page the drop down menu appears, then, when I right click on copy it just disappears. What happens next?

If everything is functioning right on your computer, when you highlight and then "copy" something, whatever you copied is saved to an invisible "pasteboard" (and remains in there until you save something else...until you shut down your computer, that is).

After you then navigate to the thread on this Forum, place your cursor where you want to insert the link, then right click and choose "paste." The info that was saved to the pasteboard (or usually a shortened name only instead of the entire address) should now show up now.

I see what you are doing wrong I think, go to the top address bar ( some people call it menu bar I think ) just put your mouse pointer in the middle of the bar or anwhere within that bar and right click, you will see it light up blue and also a small box will apear with the options of cut copy or delete, scroll over the copy and left click on it, then bring that information to the message screen you want to make your post on and right click, then press paste. Hope this helps

I have got as far as right clicking (never right clicked before) copy on the drop down menu. I then go back to my home page and type in Dodge Brothers Club forum but when it comes up if I right click where I want it nothing happens, I must be doing something wrong.

You seem to be posting messages okay. So, after you highlight and copy the address you want to post (using whatever means works best for you), then go and start entering a new post on this Forum. When you are at a point that you want to add the link, and your cursor is blinking, then "paste" using whatever method works best for you.

By the way, are you on a PC or Mac? (If on a Mac I can give you shortcuts!)

Thanks Phil, the glitch seems to have sorted itself out and the mirror image has returned to normal.

I have a Dell but as you might have guessed I am a novice; I have never used the right clic before, I don't know how to use a tag to keep 2 pages open for example and I have not been given any instruction probably because I am a difficult student. If it is felt that this forum is not the right place for computer lessons then I shall understand.

Ray.

Believe me this forum is the right place, I know not of many of the things you speak of such as a tag ( what is that ) Wont know until you ask

Ray,

I take it you are trying to post a link on a thread reply here in the forums (like I am doing right now). I have found the easiest way to do this is to have both internet pages open at the same time. If the browser you are using has "Tabs" for separate internet pages, open one tab in this Forum and the second in eBay. Start making your forum post on this site then when you get to the spot in your desertation where you want the link, go to your eBay tab and find the correct item you want to talk about. Have it displayed on your screen in that eBay tab. Go up to the "Address Bar" where the "http://" stuff is and right click in there on the wording. This will bring up a menu where you can left click "Copy". This saves the "http://" address of the eBay page.

Then go back to the AACA Forum tab, put your cursor at the spot where you want to insert the eBay item's address (will most likely be the end of what you have typed to that point). At the top of the "Message" box you are typing in there is an icon that looks like a blue-green world with two chain links in front of it. Left click that icon. You will see a pop-up box with the "http://" already in it but in blue. This is just showing you where to put your "address" you want to link to. Just go up to that blue line and right click in there and then left click on "Paste". Then click the button that says "OK". You will find a bunch of hypertext will go into your message where your cursor was. Just move your cursor to the end of this "stuff" and continue typing your message. Then when you are all done be sure to "Preview" your message with the prieview buttom at the bottom - or if you were in the "Quick Reply" message box, click on "Go Advanced" to bring up the message box style where the "Preview" button is at the bottom.

If your message look A-OK, then just "Post" it. A link should look something like this in the Preview Message: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

If you don't use the "world-chain icon" and just paste it into this message window it will look like this: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices or just the characters that were inside the "Address Bar" where you copied from

Remember - right clicks to bring up menus and left clicks to take actions.

Hope this helps. These Forums" can be a bit of a learning experience!

Let me try again.........at the top of this AACA page you are looking at now you should see a menu bar and within that bar it should read http://forums.aaca.org/f143/help-needed-posting-links-324845.html#post1013065 Somehow it converted what it actually says, it does not say help needed posting links!

What all this means we dont care but if you move your mouse ( thats the little deal that you move the pointer on your screen with ) and position the pointer over any spot on this menu that I describe above and push the right click button

it turns blue

now move your pointer down to the copy within that small rectangular box and left click on the copy. It is now saved somehow

Now come down the quick reply box where you type your messages and within the area that you write your messages place the pointer and right click your mouse again and then move your pointer down to paste and left click paste and the URL ( I guess thats what it is called ) will be placed here within the message

This is the emblem on Ebay. Another one sold for slightly less recently and I wondered if this could be an example of shill bidding mentioned on here recently? The emblem on my car has lost all it's enamel but at this price plus taxes and customs etc. it woiuld probably be cheaper to get mine redone here

19?? vintage Dodge Brothers restored emblem (cx11 1) | eBay

Again may I thank you all for the lessons in computing.

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

This is the emblem on Ebay. Another one sold for slightly less recently and I wondered if this could be an example of shil bidding mentioned on here recently? The emblem on my car has lost all it's enamel but at this price plus taxes and customs etc. it woiuld probably be cheaper to get mine redone here

19?? vintage Dodge Brothers restored emblem (cx11 1) | eBay

Again may I thank you all for the lesson in computing.

Ray.

It would not be shill bidding if there is a "Buy it now" price. That just sounds like it's the lowest opening bid the guy will let it go for.

Maybe if the emblem is incomplete, it would account for what looks a bit like a re-listing; perhaps by a disappointed buyer. Who knows? I will now know to be sure before buying, if I do.

This is such a good forum; I keep telling my friends how great it is!

Ray

quote.........it woiuld probably be cheaper to get mine redone here.....Might want to check on that first, that enameling can get VERY expensive

Maybe one of you guys has a nice emblem they want to sell?

I have seen these emblems in great shape on ebay. I, personally think that the guy is asking too much for the one you linked us to, for what it is. I also think that if you were to buy that one, find a "cup", braze or solder it on (which may damage the front), you would be into it up to your neck.....and maybe with a damaged piece by the time you are done.

Good advise from both of you guys. Another idea I had which wouldn't cost much at all would be to have a go at my one myself. I have had quite good results using a D.I.Y chrome plating kit - it works well on brass. The coloured parts, I could hand paint with my model makers enamel paints (Humbrol). With a steady hand - I make models - there is a good chance that I could get away with it!

If it all goes horribly wrong, I will have lost nothing in trying?.

Guest rockerarm

Ray.... you can pick up a repro for 30 bucks while you decide how/if to restore yours. I think most of the restored cars I've seen are running the repro

I needed a trunk emblem for my 65 Coronet 500. A round plastic emblem surrounded by a chrome bezel. I had the bezel.

A NOS original....... $600.00..... Reproduction...... $275.00.

I saw a nice original at a show and took a digital photo of it. Downloaded it to a file on my computor and adjusted the size to the original with a photo enhansement program I use. I then printed it onto a water transfer decal sheet and applied it over my old damaged emblem. After two years now no one has noticed the emblem is not an original. Cost.... $11.00 for a package of decal paper.

I may have some printed on vinyl as mine is starting to fade a bit from UV exposure.

That is clever, I am not that computer litterate so I have in the past taken photos to sign shops and let them reproduce the stickers I was after, prob cost me double what you paid if not a little more but still very nice results