Cars entered for AACA Meets

2 Corvettes

I'm sure someone will respond who knows more than me, but I just perused the judging guidelines and couldn't find a specific clause that states that there must be proof of ownership.

There are LOTS of references having to do with "owner" of the car, such as the owner proving items are as from the factory, and the judges will discuss this or that with the owner.

Interesting question. A non-owner can surely show a car, as I've known workers at White Post Restorations who brought a customer's car to Hershey, for example, and showed it....

It's possible the REGISTRATON must come from the owner, but anyone can show it on the field, so to speak....

I'm not sure it is specifically written anywhere that the person registering the car MUST be the owner, but it is certainly implied. I guess the question is WHY?? Why would you want to enter someone else's car? To get an award??? I guess I don't understand why someone who spends thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars to buy and restore a car would balk at spending 35 dollars to become an AACA member and potentially win an award that would increase the value of that car. If the person then does not have the time to show it, then as was stated, anyone can show it for them. If I have misunderstood the situation here, I apologize. Please elaborate on what the idea is here.

That didn't sound quite right. If there is a rule that cars should only be registered in the owner's name we will certainly comply but we have never had a problem in the past. I am sure that cars shown from major collections and museums are often registered in a name other than the owner's. That rule would also require that all vehicles shown be owned by AACA members rather than just shown by AACA members. I agree, a clarification is in order. Seems to me if such a rule were enforced there would be fewer cars at shows, especially the older and rarer models. What would be gained ? Obviously whoever registers the car must be an AACA member. We do require anyone we register and/or show a car for to be an AACA member. Usually we gift them a membership if they aren't already. We recently did that for a customer who has been collecting and restoring a wide variety of cars for the last 40 years or so and had never been an AACA member or been to an AACA event. Who actually requests the card and sends in the check and registration is often a matter of convenience. What about vehicles that are corporate owned? Why make things more complicated than they already are?

I can certainly see why a professional restoration shop would want to have the car shown in their name. And Restorer is fulfilling the intent of what I said by being sure that each person for whom they show a car IS a member. I guess my concern is people showing cars for non members just to avoid a membership fee. It is, in my opinion, the responsibility of each member to try to continue the growth of the club. If a person is not currently a member and wants to have their car shown, we should encourage them to become a member. The rewards of membership outweigh the cost.

We have never registered a car in our shop's name, just my name personally as a member. I don't think it is even possible to register in a shop's name. I have never heard a business announced as a winner in any of the many Awards Dinners I have attended. We do it strictly as a convenience to the owner.

Guys, it is rather simple. Only AACA members are allowed to show a car and we expect it to be their car. Our records reflect that after any wins.

Jeff, restoration shops become problematic for us. We always prefer that the car is shown by the shop in the owner's name especially when there may be a national award involved. If the owner does not want to show it and asks the shop to show it before he takes possession we have no problem. We also have had a shop or two show the car without the owner's knowledge.

Having the most accurate records here is important as we get more requests than you might imagine about certain cars. It is also only fair that someone does not show a car for a person who has no willingness to join AACA.

Ron, we have quite a few family issues with cars and that is not really what we care about as many of these cars have joint ownership, etc.

We are not the Gestapo so I would imagine someone could easily do an inappropriate thing. More of a shame on them then us.

Steve,

Thank you for the answer I was looking for. I will show this to the AACA member and the non-AACA member and hope that they change their mind about what they want to do. You are right, the non-member does not want to join AACA "BUT" he wants to brag that his truck won an award from AACA.

To be completely fair, I think sometimes it is the fear of NOT winning an award. Some personalities can not accept not winning, and as such, do not want to enter because they fear that. By having someone else enter, they always have that other person to blame for losing (I hate to use that word here, because every car that goes onto an AACA show field is a winner to me) . I experienced that fear when I took my first car to an AACA show. It went away quickly with the encouragement and respect I got from the judges. We are not perfect, but I think we are a lot better than second best!!!

Yea...imagine the fear of not winning that a professional restorer feels when showing a car that a customer has just spent tons of money to restore.

I hadn't really thought about that. It must be huge. I always have had so much respect for the quality of work done by you professionals. It has always been humbling to be parked next to a professionally restored car. The attention to detail paid by most shops is outstanding. I can only think of one exception and that was a guy that I questioned on his car after he stood there complaining about the lousy work his restorer had done. As I questioned him, I became aware that he had found a shop that was somewhat "desperate" for business and then had driven the price down to an almost incredible level (my estimate on parts and paint was higher than his price) . He then proceeded to nickle and dime every step of the way, stepped in and did some of the work himself, insisted on reusing some substandard parts, made the guy skip a few steps in a few areas, and gave the guy an intolerable deadline. After the guy was done, he waited 4 months to make the final payment and complained about the result to everyone who would listen. By the end of the show (where he complained that he didn't win) I was ready to just leave.

Perhaps someday I will be in a position that I will need the services of a professional restorer (if any of you are crazy enough to work on a Crosley). Until then I will stand back and admire your work!!