1955 Timing chain cover

Mudbone

As far as function there will be no difference. It might make a difference to some numbers matching anal-retentive.

For your timing cover seal use one for a Buick 455. You will need to chamfer the cover and use proper tools to install since there is a 0.020" interference fit.

Willie

As far as function there will be no difference. It might make a difference to some numbers matching anal-retentive.

For your timing cover seal use one for a Buick 455. You will need to chamfer the cover and use proper tools to install since there is a 0.020" interference fit.

Willie

I am assuming it is a lip type seal. Do you install it from the back side? Mud

Doesn't the difference between 53-55 and 56 timing chain covers have to do with the front side, the mounting of the water pump? I'm looking to use a '56 water pump as it has more flow capacity than earlier models and have been thinking I will need to change the timing chain cover also. Am I correct on this?

Doesn't the difference between 53-55 and 56 timing chain covers have to do with the front side, the mounting of the water pump? I'm looking to use a '56 water pump as it has more flow capacity than earlier models and have been thinking I will need to change the timing chain cover also. Am I correct on this?

Yes, there is difference in the front, and on 56 there are no outlets for the tranny cooler on the left side of the timing cover. For best cooling use the later nailhead cover and water pump. Just remember if you change/modify one thing you will create 3 new problems.

Willie