1940 Big Engine Buick Fan Belt ?

FLYER15015

Well, since we don't have a big car forum of our own, I guess I'll have to post this question here in the Pre-war general forum.

I've been looking for a FAN BELT for my 1940 Buick series 90L.

I've removed the belt that came w/ the car (which was on it's last leg), and what do you know, it's a Gilmer #97 belt. Try finding one of those.....

After searching the forums, it seems that a Gates # 627 (which is no longer available) is a good replacement. There are some up on E-bay occasionally.

My local Carquest guys tell me their closest match is their # TR-30506 (which is almost as wide 15/16" but it has notches on the inside. Retail is $58.80, but w/ my local "car club" discount it will be $31.14+ tax.

So.........

My question is: what are you all guys (with the BIG engine) running ???

Sources and prices would be nice, for those who do searches later on.

Best Regards,

Mike in Colorado

:confused::confused::confused:

Guest BigDogDaddy

Mike Bob's Automobilia also has the belts. I purchased one from them, and even though I talked to someone on the phone, they sent me the belt for the smaller series. I was going to return it, but ran into a friend at a car show. I told him what happened, and he said that I was in luck. A friend had given him a belt for a 1940 Buick for free. It was brand new, not N.O.S. The belt was too big for his Super, so he offered it to me for free since he didn't pay for it. I couldn't just take it. So I gave him my new belt that was incorrect for my car. So now we both have a good, brand new belt. I just haven't put mine on the car yet.

I have also heard the NAPA stores can match up the belt if you give them the dimensions for bring them the old belt.

Phil

Grandpa,

Thanks for the info. I did look it up on "Cars" and I will call them today.

There is a Gates # 627 on E-Bay also, @ $49.00 w/ free shipping (NOS).

It seems to me these belts should be common up to the '53 models, or when Buick went to V-8's. Did they retain the smaller engines too ? Or stay w/ the 320's ? I just don't know that much about their history.

Phil,

Lucky you to find someone to swap with. So what are you going to do the next time. Lighting does not strike twice in the same spot, or so they say.

Just for insurance, I'll give "Bob's" a call too.

Best Regards,

Mike in Colorado

Mike, the last 320 was 1952. The '53 Special still had the 248 straight eight. The last one of those. 1954 everything was V8.

As far as being common, probably through '50. In '51 or '52 they started using a NARROWER belt. I think!!!

If you take the old one, or get the measurements, to your local parts house, they may surprise you. One can always hope.

Luck

Ben

Ben

Thanks for all the info guys,

I bit the bullet and ordered the one from e-bay as listed above. Should be 15/16" wide @ the top and a 40 degree angle as per OEM.

As a back up the gates "green stripe" TR-30506 will hang in the barn till needed, or maybe I'll put it in the trunk "just in case'.

Best regards,

Mike in Colorado