65 Riviera interior wood trim.

Don McClair

I have been redoing my 65 Riviera and thanks to Dick Sweeney I now have the wiring harness to add power vent windows. My question is regarding the wood on the door panels and console. Clark's Corvair sent me samples of the wood, both light and dark. First off, Clark's is more expensive then CARS and has anyone had any experience with the quality of the product from CARS. I believe that Clark's probably has a better quality product but is it worth the increased cost? Also, were there there two colors of wood offered on the 65? My car has the dark green interior.

If anyone is thinking of adding the power vent window option to their first gen Riv, the hardest part after obtaining a wiring harness will be the installation of the wiring harness. The power window/power vent window wiring harness for the custom interior is the same as a 1965 Electra. Length, wire colors, everything. To remove your original harness and install this harness you need to start by removing the rear bumper. Just kidding but to get to all of the tie downs and route it properly, you need to remove the dash pad (the easiest part) remove the radio and then take the console loose to move it back a few inches or remove it totally. Then you can remove the right side of the dash including the glove box. Next, loosen the bolts on either side of the steering column to allow it to drop down. If you just run these bolts down to the end of the threaded area, should allow enough room to pull out the instrument cluster. Once all of that is out of the way getting to the harness is relatively easy. But, if you have gone that far, have you replaced the heater core? Also, this would be a good time to replace all of the instrument cluster bulbs.

Thanks in advance for any advice on the wood.

Don

I purchased the one from CARS and sent it back. It did not fit properly and I did not like the color. I did this a few years ago and not sure if they improved it. I did purchase the one from Clarks and it fit perfect and color is nice. I agree it is too expensive and knowing what I know now I would of made my own. Gerry

If anyone is thinking of adding the power vent window option to their first gen Riv, the hardest part after obtaining a wiring harness will be the installation of the wiring harness. The power window/power vent window wiring harness for the custom interior is the same as a 1965 Electra. Length, wire colors, everything. To remove your original harness and install this harness you need to start by removing the rear bumper. Just kidding but to get to all of the tie downs and route it properly, you need to remove the dash pad (the easiest part) remove the radio and then take the console loose to move it back a few inches or remove it totally. Then you can remove the right side of the dash including the glove box. Next, loosen the bolts on either side of the steering column to allow it to drop down. If you just run these bolts down to the end of the threaded area, should allow enough room to pull out the instrument cluster. Once all of that is out of the way getting to the harness is relatively easy. But, if you have gone that far, have you replaced the heater core? Also, this would be a good time to replace all of the instrument cluster bulbs.

:D

Thanks for the info, good write up. I've got my car stripped down to the bare shell now, so when it comes back from paint, I'd like to add the power vent window option upon reassembly. Can you give me some more info as to where you sourced the hardware? Thanks.

Thanks for the advice Jerry. I had made the trim for the console from some wood that I bought at Michael's a hobby and craft store and mixed up a couple of stains to make it match the wood on the door panels which were faded a bit. I would like to do the door panels now that i have a hole from the removal of the vent window crank but do not know where to buy the long piece wood for the door hence checking out what a kit would cost to replace everything.

Rob, I bought a 65 Riviera about 10 years ago and the further I went the worse it got and it became a parts car. It had the standard interior but had a lot of options. A little over two years ago I found this Riviera that was sitting in a basement for 23 years. I added the rear window defroster, center arm rest, power antenna, and FM radio from the parts car. The parts car had the power vent windows but this car had the deluxe interior and the wiring harness is different regarding the drivers door switches. A good source of parts is Rancho Riviera and Evilbay. Rancho Riviera is great to work with and their website is 1963 1964 1965 Buick Riviera Parts. I got the vent window switches and arm rest plates from them. Again, the 65 Electra harness was an exact match.

Don

Check to see if any lumber yards (not Lowes or Home Depot) carry any exotic hardwoods. If so, they should have a selection of verneers you can work with. Look for quarter sawn American Walnut for the correct grain. Then choose your stain to make everything match. If there's no exotic lumber in your area, Google Constantines in Florida and look through their selections.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

OK Riviera People: I got veneer from the Home Depot along with a can of Minwax. I like a dark wood because my inside is white. I did it myself and it was cheep and looks fabulous. I have a Clarks kit I got from someone years ago and it looks good too. I'm way too cheep to pay that kind of dough for it new. Mitch

I bought a wood set from cars- was very poor quality of wood and grain. I sent it back they charged me restock fees! (jerks!)They said its wood and a natural product and cant control the grain. I looked around for 6 month for something better- found the rear"Quality set" were no longer made , So I ordered another set from cars, well 1 year later and it was great. Nice color and quality. I like that CARS has most of the part we need, but they are jerks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when something is not right. I am very picky and was very pleased with the fit and finish. Make sue you tell them you want a nice dark finish and tight grain so it will match the original. It seems very sturdy as it is backed by a thin layer of aluminum and the pin striping was good also.

It sure make the interior look great again.

Good luck, Steve

Yep, CARS isn't the easiest to deal with, and they have attitudes. I just don't understand that mentality with todays economic climate. I placed a sizable order with them back in Dec for a pretty large amount of parts. Got the order, and most everything was good, with the exception that the air filter was smashed, and the pack of the supposed "pair" of rear coil spring gaskets only contained one. Called them, and they didn't believe me that the air cleaner got smashed in shipping, and wanted me to file a claim with UPS on a $14.95 air filter. Never heard from them. Called back a week or so later, and they told me, ok, we'll ship you a new one. Waited 2 weeks, nothing. Called back again, and finally, last week they sent me a new filter and the missing gasket. In the end, I finally got my parts, and I'll most likely buy from them again, as they are the only source on certain items, but, they just don't leave you feeling like they really care about you as a customer. I own a small business, and go out of my way to take care of my clients, otherwise I wouldn't be able to enjoy this costly hobby.

Thanks to all who have responded to my question about interior wood pieces. I checked out Constantines in Florida and from their website it appeared the longest piece they had was about 3 feet long. The two doors run close to 43 inches in length each. I checked around the Atlanta area and found a lumber yard in Suwanee Georgia that had 1/16" walnut in 2 foot by 8 foot sheets and bought one for $36. Things are looking up!

Everyone have a great weekend!

Edited by Don McClair
made a mistake (see edit history)

Hi Don,

Ultimately the choice of wood amounts to personal preference but just so you understand, if wanting to duplicate the original look, the correct Walnut is "quarter sawn". The difference is in the appearance of the grain. Quarter sawn woods have a straight grain and are more desireable because they are more stable when contracting and expanding. This is desireable not just for finish work like trim, furniture (especially in veneers), flooring but is also desireable in basic carpentry, decks, etc..

Not all quarter sawn is equal. The material which is sawn from closest to the heart of the log is the best quarter sawn. The material which comes from farther out toward the outer diameter of the log is also quarter sawn but is called "rift" sawn which may contain some figuring.

The best illustration of the appearance of quarter sawn walnut is in the `63 Rivs. The walnut is very clean and uncluttered looking in terms of the grain as opposed to the `64 and `65 cars. I know this sounds crazy to most but the next time you come across pics of a nice original `63 which still has a rich walnut color take a look at the grain-much better quality than later years.

Having stated all of the above walnut does not show as well as other woods in quarter sawn. The showiest quarter sawn is Oak which displays elements called "medullary rays". These appear as "flecks" and, in my opinion, are very attractive. Quarter sawn oak is very obvious in most well made arts and crafts and some amish made furniture. It is also typical to pick off the occasional quarter sawn piece of oak in hardwood floors.

Although I appreciate quarter sawn walnut, because I know it is a premium material, walnut is a little boring in quarter sawn configuration. Honestly, I think most folks would rather see a little more character and figuring in the cheaper cuts.

Sorry about the rant, more than you ever wanted to know about wood, right? Good luck!

Tom Mooney

My apologies once again for the tangential info...but I have been a fan of FLW and "prairie style" furniture since my college days and I`m currently having three mature, old growth walnuts milled here at the digs. They were victims of an especially damaging wind storm we had last year. Not quite sure what I will do with the lumber but I have this fantasy I may finish a "mancave library" with the stuff. If not, I have a friend who does custom millwork and homes who I will give it to. I just couldn`t bring myself to see those beautiful walnuts, which I have been admiring and watching grow for 15 years since I purchased the property, be turned into firewood. Fine wood is very cool,

Tom

Tom, thanks for the information on the walnut wood. As my car still had the original wood and was fairly decent, I was able to select a piece of veneer that closely matched. I have seen a few cars that have had the power vent windows added and to me there always seems to be a struggle to find something to cover up the vent window crank hole. I have not determined yet how to do the black line around the wood but I am sure i will think of something.

Again, thanks to all who have contributed to this forum.

Don,

I purchased my veneer from Ovis through Amazon. I got a 2'x8' piece of veneer with the 3m sticky backing for around $50. I applied two coats of oil and then two coats of lacquer. I waited a couple of days for the lacquer to cure and then taped off for the black pinstriping. I sprayed the black and immediately removed the masking tape. I applied two more coats of lacquer after the black dried. I am very pleased with the results and I have less then $65 in the entire project with veneer left over.

Ron

post-55565-143138858844_thumb.jpg

• Like 1