1899 De Dion Bouton on the auction block

Guest Paul Christ

Guest Paul Christ

Well, it's missing some parts and is located in Argentina, but think about it, when was the last time you saw one of these on Ebay? :)

Ok experts, what is your opinion on this one?

(click below)

<CLICK below>

1899 DE DION BOUTON VIS A VIS Voiturette Single Cylinder Vehicle 1899 DE DION BOUTON VIS A VIS Voiturette Single Cylinder Vehicle | eBay

visavis_05.jpg

If you have the $30,000 burning a hole in your pocket there other FAR BETTER projects to spend it on. The original coffee grinder steering is missing along with a few other odds and ends shown in this photo. The car was built for the English market and they didn't trust wire wheels at that time. I've always wanted a 1899 DeDion Tricycle.

post-31159-143138833072_thumb.jpg

I like the mention of shipping by airmail to the US, obviously left over wording from other posts.

I believe there are too many critical parts missing for this to be a viable project at that price. On the flip side, any car from 1899 is a worthwhile project and worth good dollars restored. There would be a lot of fabrication to do on this project, but it's possible. I'd bet someone would take it on if the price were in the $15-20K range....

It sure is cool. :cool: But, it looks like one would have to find, or build a complete motor. If the only option is to build one, that would kill it for me as it would never have an original block, case, cylinder, or flywheel. It would takes a lot of time and research to get it right, and then cast and machine all the pieces. Then, what number would it be? It is missing too many "goodies" for me. Dandy Dave!

I think there are more engines out there than chassis, it's the small bits and that unique steering gear that will run the restoration cost up. George Albright had an engine for sale here within the last few years. The search feature is a great thing................http://forums.aaca.org/f119/1900-de-dion-bouton-orient-motorcycle-310336.html

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

DeDion sold A LOT of what they called "loose engines" to other makers for cars, boats, stationary power plants etc. about 5000 per year in their heyday. Many cars used them including the first Pierce Arrows.

They still turn up from time to time in Europe but be prepared to pay $2000 to $3000 for one.

http://www.prewarcar.com/classifieds/part-ads/by-make/de-dion-bouton-4.html

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Only my view here - however it is unusual for an early car such as this de Dion to have a metal body originally fitted, it is much more the case bodywork was timber as every turn of the 20th century European manufacturer I've come across used tradition coach-builders to body their automobiles.

That said it was common for British automobiles being manufactured for export to countries with termite or wood eating beetles to have their bodywork sheeted in lead, so I see no reason why the French might go the route of metal bodywork in its entirety, particularly so if the car was to be exported to Argentina.

Wire wheels were the norm as many of the bicycle manufacturers who were dabbling in automobile production used tried and tested methods, not to mention they had the in-house skills in the workforce. If you look at Renault and Argyll automobiles of 1900 for example, both have recognisable a 'bicycle' type chassis, a straight transfer of manufacturing skills. Wire wheels were no different either, every factory would have their wheel builders and being that the cars were light enough, once again bicycle technology was used. The down-side to these light wire wheels was as speeds and body weights increased these 'light' wheels coudn't cope with the increasing stresses. Lateral forces on a car going around a corner at speed would distort the wheel so much so it would collapse, often ejecting the driver (and passenger) in the process. Increasing weight also created a similar issue.

Of course, as I mentioned at the beginning, there will always be exceptions to the rule and I've been doing this long enough to know there's a good chance someone will have a different, but just as relevant explanation. :)