blacking out whitewalls

Guest fenwick

Guest fenwick

Does anyone know an easy way to blacken whitewall tires with something that can be removed easily. My 70 is going to be used in a movie next week, and the director wants me to do something to get rid of the whitewalls. I don't want to go to the trouble of removing them from the rims and reversing the sides, but I may have to. Thanks, Fenwick Binder

You might try children's poster paint

The good thing is its water soluable: cleans off easily

The bad thing is its water soluable: is this a dry, non raining/no puddles shoot?

You would think if the director is bothered enough about it, he'd pay to have the tires switched out and returned when done.

Guest fenwick

I think that I will try to get some black children's poster paint first. That'll be the easiest thing to do. I don't won't to have to switch the tires.

Guest fenwick

I tried some of the paint and I didn't like the looks of the tire, so I am going to have the tires reversed, to put the whitewall on the inside. I have a frind that has a shop, and he will do the whole swap out for $50.

I'm getting enough out of the deal , so this won't be any problem.

Guest fenwick

I tried using some black duck tape, and it didn't look too good. I sent my contact an email telling him that I was going to swap the sides of the tires, and he sent me one back and said that he would pay for it. I can't beat that

If you're running radial tires, make sure that when they reverse the tires, that they keep the tires spinning the same direction as they were spinning with the whitewalls out. That's why we don't do five tire X rotations any longer, just front to back.

Ed

Guest fenwick

Thanks for the info about the rotation, I'll make sure they don't mess up. I don't know why he wants to get rid of the whitewalls either. He also doesn't want any red or yellow cars, and no racing stripes or other mods.

Thanks for the info about the rotation, I'll make sure they don't mess up. I don't know why he wants to get rid of the whitewalls either. He also doesn't want any red or yellow cars, and no racing stripes or other mods.

Weird. What kind of movie is it?

If you're running radial tires, make sure that when they reverse the tires, that they keep the tires spinning the same direction as they were spinning with the whitewalls out. That's why we don't do five tire X rotations any longer, just front to back.

Ed

While that was once the case, it apparently is no longer necessary.

This pdf is from a current Bridgestone tire guide showing rotation patterns.

Now, to be honest, I still rotate front to back myself. :rolleyes:

GM_OE_Warranty_EN.pdf

While that was once the case, it apparently is no longer necessary.

This pdf is from a current Bridgestone tire guide showing rotation patterns.

Now, to be honest, I still rotate front to back myself. :rolleyes:

I still go front to back also. Wonder if it makes a difference between the fiberglass belted that came on this car versus newer steel belted tires? I always heard that even steel belted the stretch/stress they create in one direction will flex back and break the strands if they go in the opposite direction. Kind of like bending a coat hanger back and forth until it breaks in two.

Guest fenwick

Well, I had the tires swapped around so that the blackwalls are showing. It looks better than I thought it would. I'm enclosing pictures of both side of the car before and after the swap. I'm going to have to leave them like this until they get finished using it, in a couple of weeks. Maybe I won't swap them back if I get used to them like this.

post-74648-143138841138_thumb.jpg

post-74648-143138841143_thumb.jpg

post-74648-143138841148_thumb.jpg

post-74648-14313884116_thumb.jpg

Edited by fenwick (see edit history)

Guest Kingoftheroad

The car looks great either way... I think part of the reason is, its a black car. If you had a different color Riv, blackwalls may not be as flattering...