First Heater

DNC

Guest Jim_Edwards

Great question! From 1917 until 1933 rolled around there were varying attempts at heating the passenger cabin by circulating exhaust through tubing and introducing dry engine heat from the engine compartment. Obviously neither approach were worth a flip and both could be considered hazardous and I suspect air from the engine compartment smelled like heck most of the time while being totally inefficient.

In 1930 GM developed what we call a heater core and the modern automobile cabin heater was born so to speak.

Now to 1933, Ford introduced a radiant heater with a boiler that burned gasoline. Again not safe, and probably stinky. Curiously this type of heater was used on DC-3 (C-47) Aircraft and it was one of those that supposedly resulted in the crash that killed Ricky Nelson.

But even with GM's 1930 development the heater was still pretty darn crude and it was Nash in 1937 that pretty much perfected the cabin heating system with temperature controls and air filters that we know today.

I think heaters were optional in model Ts but they were not the hot water type,more of a manifold heater if my memory is correct
There were after market heaters for Ts, but they were never an option, at least from the factory. Dealers may have installed them, though old Henry frowned on what he called "spurious parts". The only after market part he ever embraced was the Ruckstell two speed rear end

I think most pre 1920 cars had either the contraption of air flowing from outside over the manifold and back or the foot warmer type that had coals in them. I know that some Durant's used a company called Torrid Heat and at least in 1928 this was connected to the manifold and pulled hot water through the heater inside, much like other cars of the 30's and 40's.

Did a quick Wiki (which didn't offer much more on the first heater than folks have posted here) but I did find something on the South Wind heater. I had always been under impression it was a hot water type heater, but the Wiki on gasoline heaters includes it.

Anyone have a car equipped with a South Wind?

DNC, I listed a Cadillac heater (see Cadillac section page 7) that is an early exhaust type. No one could verify what year it was for, but it came out before the hot water versions.

Good luck in your search.

Skip, Thanks for sharing that posting. The item is both interesting and a little scary:).

I have already learned a few things from the replies to this posting.

There were aftermarket heaters for the Model T. Here is a link to a discussion on one of the types. Model T Ford Forum: Atlas exhaust heater manifold I have also seen one that just bolts around the exhaust that goes between the fan blade that pushes air through the heater and into the passenger compartment.

One of the most interesting heaters was the optional gasoline heater that was used in the early model Corvairs. Had a sparkplug and everything else to keep the passengers warm.

Quote...........In 1930 GM developed what we call a heater core and the modern automobile cabin heater was born so to speak.

................Heater cores were being used prior to 1930, I dont know when first introduced but Northeast Electric was advertising them in late 20s. It would be interesting to know an exact year though