1940 Buick Special Problems

Aceswild03

Hey guys,

Ive been working on getting my grandpa's old 40 Buick running and Ive having some problems.

I first put new tires on, new battery, had a couple cracks in the manifold welded up and grinded, new fuel/vacuum pump, cleaned carb, ran new fuel line, checked brakes...

After all of this I had the car running (running great!) long enough to surprise my grandparents by picking them up in the car on Thanksgiving. After I dropped them off that night, the car died on me about a mile down the road and I had to limp it home, a few 100' at a time. The car kept cutting out on me and I would re-start it and drive a few 100'. It finally made it home.

we found some trash in the carb, cleaned it out and added a glass filter to monitor. Also scoped the tank and didnt see any kind of debris.

Car ran fine for a few miles and started cutting out again. limped it home again yesterday...

Now it is sitting in the garage and I noticed a puddle under it this morning:(

Looks like transmission fluid, probably from the front seal...

So now it is not running, oh yeah the new battery was dead this morning, and it is now leaking fluids....

Any help or advice would be appreciated guys!

Thanks,

Andy

Hello Andy,

This still looks to me like the fuel pump. Was it a NOS pump? If so it is probably failing due to age/today's fuel.

---

I am here: Google Maps

The new pump is just like the original factory pump...would it help to add an electric pump closer to the tank maybe? Im not doing a restoration of the car, I want to keep it as a driver, so anything to make it run better is ok

Guest Grant Magrath

Yeah it does point to the fuel pump from what you've told us. As for the battery, constant restarting could have drained it enough to be dead. And when a car sits for a while, the seals can dry out and shrink. Happens all the time when you bring something back to life after a long period. There are normally brake issues as well.

Cheers

Grant

How long did it sit before you started to get it running again ?

Have you drained / cleaned the fuel tank & flushed the line from the tank to the pump ?

Or exhaust blocked ?

The new pump is just like the original factory pump...would it help to add an electric pump closer to the tank maybe? Im not doing a restoration of the car, I want to keep it as a driver, so anything to make it run better is ok

Electric pump can be helpful sometimes if the car sits too long (to prime) but I would not recommend one which is running full time on a 6V car. I would look into the current "new" pump. If the pump was bought in the past and was sitting in the shelf for years it may still lose its ability to pump due to deteriorating internals. Alcohol in today's fuel is also another culprit in older manufactured fuel pumps failing.

Typically, if the pump is failing, it will tend to pump better when cold and problems will start as the engine heats up. I hope this helps.

Andy,

Use low pressure air and blow the fuel line from the engine fuel pump back to the tank.

We found the "blockage" in the fuel pick up tube inside the tank. Got a new sending/pickup unit from Bob's, and solved our problem w/ that and a BIG clear fuel filter and low pressure electric pump back @ the tank. Elect pump is only for priming the system after a long sit in the barn. We also got a kit from Bob's and rebuilt the engine fuel pump. Not a big deal...

Mike in Colorado

Sorry guys, I've been out of pocket with some family matters.

I took apart the carb and the bowl was dry...but clean. Disconnected the fuel line, bumped the starter amd plenty of fuel is coming out of the fuel line. I think it is the needle that is not allowing fuel into the carb.

If I get a rebuild kit, should this take care of the issue with needle? How do I get to the needle?

Also, how hard is it to drop the tranny and replace the seals on these cars?

Thanks for all of the responses guys!

How long did it sit before you started to get it running again ?

Have you drained / cleaned the fuel tank & flushed the line from the tank to the pump ?

Or exhaust blocked ?

It sat for roughly 6 to 10 years. The tank was drain, flushed, scoped and fille with fresh gas. It ran for several days before getting the trash in the carb and cutting out. Now I think it is the needle in the carb causing the problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the input!

• 3 months later...
Guest 1957eldo

make sure there isnt another in line filter somewhere along the gas feed trail? I ran into this once. Good Luck !

Been busy getting married an going on a honeymoon! Forgot I haven't updated this thread until I saw the latest post.

I rebuilt the carb and the problem remained. Finally dropped the tank and removed the pick up line...where I found a HUGE glob of old tank sealer and trash! It looks like when my grandpa sealed the tank, way back when, some of the sealer got into the pick up line. Once I got it running again and put a tank of gas through it, that sealer picked up all of the debris in the tank and held it in the pick up line, where the fuel line connects. I blew it out and cleaned it good and the car runs like a champ!

Tranny still drips a little after a drive, but nothing major. We used the car in our wedding and I've been enjoying cruising around town in it!

Thanks for all of the help guys:)

Guest Grant Magrath

Great to finally sort out your issues! My uncle's 69 Cadillac decided it didn't want to run the other week. Turns out it was the remnants of an ancient rubber glove in the fuel tank!

Cheers

Grant

Well, where are the wedding photos of the happy couple in the '40 Special?

Ashley & Andy: Wedding

Check out the slide show in the link above^^^...plenty of pics with the car!

Great to finally sort out your issues! My uncle's 69 Cadillac decided it didn't want to run the other week. Turns out it was the remnants of an antcient rubber glove in the fuel tank!

Cheers

Grant

Haha...Its always something, isnt it!?

I was sooo happy to get it running again!

Andy, thanks for sharing the super photos! Looks like it was a really fun event and you will have great memories of the day with these photos. So neat that there are many shots of the car as well as all the wedding party and attendees that will enhance the memories.

Thanks again,

John