tapedeck repair

Guest Recian

Found out today my tapedeck doesnt work in my 89. When you hit play or fast forward it just clicks and pops. Is there a process for repairing these? I've got a casette with aux cable for ipod which i'd like to use so i can keep the stock look of the car

Found out today my tapedeck doesnt work in my 89. When you hit play or fast forward it just clicks and pops. Is there a process for repairing these? I've got a casette with aux cable for ipod which i'd like to use so i can keep the stock look of the car

RECIAN, see my thread '89 cassette deck on this page...... Jim

I didn't look at the suggestions above but am sure they are good.

Here is something I have had saved on my computer for several years.

The main belt in the '88-89 Reatta tape decks can be obtained from MCM electronics, 800-543-4330, or MCM Electronics: Home and Pro Audio/Video, Security and Test Equipment.

Part # 42-1990. Cost a buck or two.

They may have a minimum order.

GETTING the belt is easy, replacing it isn't.

I rebuilt my deck some years ago. If you are handy and very patient you can do the belt replacement repair yourself. Just follow the directions you have already been directed to. The cassette unit is built in, well layers. Each layer must be removed to get to the next. I think I took about three and half hours to fix mine. That includes the time to remove the unit from the car. Good luck.

I sure appreciate this conversation on the 88-89 tape player ! I have three of them and all any of them will do is click.

I just took one apart using the information on Ronnie's site and the 89reattajim post. I am looking at the white plastic piece shown in the picture and both sides of mine have a perfect split in the loop area. Is that area supposed to be solid or does it have a split in the loop by design ?

Thank you,

I sure appreciate this conversation on the 88-89 tape player ! I have three of them and all any of them will do is click.

I just took one apart using the information on Ronnie's site and the 89reattajim post. I am looking at the white plastic piece shown in the picture and both sides of mine have a perfect split in the loop area. Is that area supposed to be solid or does it have a split in the loop by design ?

Thank you,

The "loop" that encircles the steel pin is supposed to be solid. I used epoxy on the side that is flat, and around the edges of the loop..... Jim

Guest Recian

thanks for the info. I managed to find a spare one in my bin of modules today so i'll rebuild that one then just swap em out