1934 Buick paint & interior questions

Mart S

I have a 1934 60 series that will soon be painted. I'd appreciate comments about the best paint. I originally considered lacquer but I'm concerned about it being susceptible to chips and cracks, and therefore its long term durability.

Would urethane or one of the new water based paint systems be better?

Also - What interior colors were offered in 1934 for convertible models?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Guest Grant Magrath

Hi Mart and welcome to the forum!

Not too sure about the interior colors on a 34, but with regard to the paint type, a 2k system would be durable enough. We're talking dash and garnish moldings, right?

Cheers

Grant

Hi Mart, and welcome to the FORUM.

Your 1934 60 Series should probably have the dash and window garnish moldings painted as a woodgrain.

Many folks who drive their cars seem to prefer a Base Coat / Clear Coat system, although this may be more involved to touch-up later on.

Our 1934 is a 50 Series, and I've included some photos. You can click on the pictures to enlarge them.

Good luck with your car.

post-54863-143138768117_thumb.jpg

post-54863-14313876813_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138768138_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138768145_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138768153_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138768164_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138768177_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138768189_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138768203_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138768214_thumb.jpg

Mart,

I'm not positive, but believe the color is correct, and is the same as what was on the car when I bought it. it was repainted for the original owner around 1970, prior to going to the second owner in Colorado Springs. I bought the car from him in 1995. The paint and upholstery were redone over the past few years.

My interior is gray mohair

Guest Grant Magrath

Mart, you can get 2k mixed up as a solid color, or go with the flat base - clearcoat system. I've heard purists complain that the base and clear give the car a "glazed donut" look. Our coupe is painted that way, and has turned out great, BTW. Lacquer is getting expensive, and apparently, illegal in some states. Advantages of lacquer would be sharper body lines and a more "original" look. 2K tends to go on heavier and creases can lose their sharpness. Doing it yourself?

Cheers

Grant

Hi Mart,

Interior colours on open cars were the same as the exterior, unlike the closed cars which had woodgrained mouldings and dash ( Australia at least, may be different in the US models ).

Have attached a scan of the Buick Colour Bulletin for 1934 showing the standard colour combinations for convertible models ( you didn't tell us if its a 66C or 68C ).

If going original your choices are very limited.

post-31244-14313876861_thumb.jpg

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

The only Series 60 Buick that came to New Zealand new in 1934 was a 68C. It is a Flint built car and is right hand drive. It was originally the standard maroon colour but was repainted in dark green many years ago. The original colour could still be seen on the insides of the sidemounted spares when I looked at it several years ago. The original interior was a light brown leather, in big overstuffed cushions, as seen in the advertising pictures reproduced in the book 70 Years of Buick. Unfortunately in recent years the new owner chose to have the interior replaced with a much-too-bright tan leather, with most of the stuffing removed and done in awful looking fine pleats.

Gentlemen, thanks for you comments. My car is a 66C. It will be painted in a restoration shop. I've heard of purists objecting to anything but lacquer. And I love the look of a high quality lacquer paint job. But it seems much more practical to use a more durable type of paint.

I want the car to be a blue originally offered by Buick in 1934. I have some Dupont color cards for 1934 Buick. There are many blues for various models, though none are specified for the 66C on the few sheets I have. There are 2 nice dark blue listed for the 56C. It seems like one could have ordered a blue 66C.

2 more questions:

1. In 1934, could buyers order a car with any of the exterior paint colors offered by Buick?

2. Regarding interior colors, could a buyer get a blue interior? I've seen a couple with tan and one with black. All were restored at some point.

I appreciate your input. Mart

I cannot speak for '34s, but I believe, for closed '32 cars (not conv), you could order any color from the '32 selction as long as the car had the optional side mount spares, but I am not 100% on this. Hope you will hear from '34 Buick experts. In '32 open and closed cars where manufactured by different companies (Fisher Body).

John

You could contact Sandy Jones up in Ft. Collins, Colo regarding his (2) '33's regarding paint and interior colours. His "handle" on here is OUTLAW CAR MAN.

Mike S

I have a 1934 60 series that will soon be painted. I'd appreciate comments about the best paint. I originally considered lacquer but I'm concerned about it being susceptible to chips and cracks, and therefore its long term durability.

Would urethane or one of the new water based paint systems be better?

Also - What interior colors were offered in 1934 for convertible models?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Guest outlaw car man
Thanks Mike. I sent Sandy an email with some of my questions.

Merry Christmas.

Not sure I'm the guy for this, but will contact you tomorrow with my 2 cents worth.

The 33s are a different breed from the rest.

Hey Sandy,

Shurley with all the research you've done,you can help w/ colors (body and interior).

On a nother note, I think I've found a "cure" for your Marvel carb problems..

It can be found on the e-mail page I just sent you.

A '33 90 series w/ a V-8, power steering and brakes, and it will only cost you $69 K, but it will solve your carb issues.

Check the hemmings listing.

Four inches of snow and colder than a well diggers a..

Best Regards,

Mike S

:P:p:p

Not sure I'm the guy for this, but will contact you tomorrow with my 2 cents worth.

The 33s are a different breed from the rest.

Edited by FLYER15015
spelling (see edit history)

Guest outlaw car man
Hey Sandy,

Shurley with all the research you've done,you can help w/ colors (body and interior).

On a nother note, I think I've found a "cure" for your Marvel carb problems..

It can be found on the e-mail page I just sent you.

A '33 90 series w/ a V-8, power steering and brakes, and it will only cost you $69 K, but it will solve your carb issues.

Check the hemmings listing.

Four inches of snow and colder than a well diggers a..

Best Regards,

Mike S

:P:p:p

Yep, V8, power steering, brakes, AC and everything else, except it's not a 90L and some customized stuff to look like a original, missing parts etc-

BUT, it won't burn down from a marvel fire. HA.

calling for a foot up here, got the snowblower ready & chained up the 33 90.

Sandy