Help-Ford trivia!

24T42

Who supplied the wood for Ford Motor Company? Don't know if it's trivia or just family history, but my grandfather, Joseph Braun was friends with and supplied wood to Henry Ford for his cars. The company was "Braun Lumber Corporation". He also supplied wood for most, if not all of the car manufacturers in and around Michigan.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

While not introduced by Ford, I had a carburetor on my 1912 Ford T that had a variable venturi. It was made by D&B Brass Carburetor Co. in Connecticut and was one of the best carbs I ever used on that car.

Frank

Variable venturi carbs were not new, but the one Ford Motorcraft built was a two barrel mechanism. The first such two barrel I'm aware of, as others were only 1 barrel models.

Like many "new tech" automotive products, even if the "tech" had been around for ages, there were many who "cussed" the new design, for many reasons. IF the vacuum bias was good and the large rubber diaphram (which ran the venturi slides and related metering operations) were also good, these carbs seemed to work well.

We had one come through the repair shop. I got a Genuine Ford rebuild kit, and our "ham-handed" tune-up tech rebuilt it and it ran well. After that, I figured it was a better design than many gave it credit for being, back then.

Seems like the British SU carbs were "sliding venturi" carbs? But one barrels, used in multiples, which had to be synchronized for things to work as they should.

I didn't know the "tech" went back to the early 1900s, though. Thanks for that information!

Happy Holidays!

NTX5467

In the 60's, Ford had a trim package with the XL suffix, such as Fairlane 500XL. What did the XL stand for?

extra lively

Frank

"XL" trim was a higher-end "luxury" sort of option package. What were the "centerpieces" of that option package?

Front bucket seats, rear seats with matching-style covers, chrome-accented center console with shifter

Most "XL" models, as the Galaxie 500XL and the Fairlane 500XL were aimed at the "youth market" of the 1963 era. "The Lively Set"?

Where was the "XL" trim designation later used?

F-100 pickup trucks

Enjoy!

NTX5467