Help-Ford trivia!

24T42

I usually run the Christmas gift exchange for our club. Instead of using names or numbers to draw lots, I use antique car trivia. You do not have to know the answer to go to package pool. What the questions do is fill in the gaps and provide entertainment as well as being educational. It can also be very controversial.

This year's trivia topic is Henry Ford, the Model T, or any Ford product. What I would like is your best trivia question about these topics. No question can be too odd or obscure. I need about a dozen more questions.

What is your best Ford trivia?

Thanks in advance.

24t42

Your group will mostly know this, but I like to ask folks: "Which Ford came first, the Model A or the Model T?" Tongue-in-cheek answers: "Both" or "Yes". Model A, 1903 and 1928 model years. Model T, 1909 model year.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

or could the answer be neither as his 1896 quadricycle came first

Guest Bob Call

Early Ford cars used a lot of wood in the body construction. What product did Henry Ford make with the scrap wood from the car factories and is the market leader in its field today?

Kingsford charcoal briquets.

Guest Dave Boyer

What two cars had the same day of introduction, but different years? April 17 1964, for the Mustang, and April 17 1970 for the Maverick.

Now what car had more first year sales?..........The Maverick. :)

What two cars had the same day of introduction, but different years? April 17 1964, for the Mustang, and April 17 1970 for the Maverick.

The Maverick was a normal "fall season" introduction, whereas the Mustang was a 1964 1/2 "spring season" introduction?

-------------------

Ford had four engine sizes of their modern V-8s which were rather short-lived, being replaced by larger versions.

221 V-8 . . . 1962 Fairlane mid-size platform

260 V-8 . . . 1963-64

332 V-8 . . . Initial production 1958, soon fully replaced by 352 V-8s

406 V-8 . . . 1962 - early prod 1963, with 3x2bbl carbs, soon replaced by 427 with 2x4bbl carbs

--------------------

What year were dual headlights federally-approved for cars?

--------------------

What popular automotive parts "empire" sold 4-headlight conversion kits for 1957 full-size Fords?

J. C. Whitney (or variations thereof)

---------------------

What popular male star drove a '58 Fairlane in a "moonshine" movie?

Robert Mitchum "Thunder Road"

---------------------

"I Love Lucy" . . .

In one episode, where The Ricardoes, Mertzes, and Fred McMurry go into the Las Vegas area desert on an over-night camping expedition, what were some notable features of "the action" as they raced back to Las Vegas?

++Ricardoes in a '58-'60 F-100 pickup, two-tone (probably red and white)

++Fred McMurry in a '57 Thunderbird, which he stalls by crashing into a small sand dune as he tried to pass others in the race back.

++Fred hooks his old "touring car" onto the bumper hitch of The Ricardo's F-100. Ricky can't seem to shake Fred and Ethyl's car as they raced back to Las Vegas. Ethyl . . . "Fred, how fast you think we're going?" Fred . . . "I don't know. The speedometer needle went around twice and flew off!"

------------------

What was unique to the FE-series 330 horsepower Police Intercepter 390 V-8 in 1963?

mechanical valve lifters and high-performance mechanical lifter camshaft (possibly continued from the first 390/360 horsepower 352 V-8 of 1960?)

------------------

What was the first Holley 4160-style 4bbl carb's part number? First model year used?

1850 1958

-------------------

Other than normal differences (torque converter stall speeds, number of clutches in the clutch packs, etc.) due to engine and power differences, what one internal assembly defined the difference in the 1958 Ford-O-Matic and the 1958 Ford Cruise-O-Matic three speed automatic transmissions?

the valve body 1958 F-O-M, in "D", started in 2nd gear, but would downshift to "Low" if the vehicle's speed was low enough at WOT 1958 C-O-M had "D2" (2nd gear start) and "D1" (1st gear start) on the shift quadrant.

---------------------

What was the first year for a genuine 2-speed automatic? What model debuted it?

Ford-O-Matic 1960 Falcon

---------------------

What model year saw the introduction of Ford's first "light duty"/"small block" 3-speed automatic transmission?

1964 C4

------------------

What model year saw the introduction of Ford's first "heavy duty"/"big block" 3-speed automatic transmission?

1966 C6 "SelectShift" Cruise-O-Matic (NO special procedures to lock the trans in "Low" or "2", as the prior Borg-Warner transmissions needed)

Prior "cast iron case" Cruise-O-Matics were continued for several years in particular applications (usually mid-horsepower/2bbl carb, big-car uses) as option code "FMX", a Borg-Warner design

---------------

Type of transmission in the Model T?

Planetary gear

-----------------

What innovative-design 2bbl carburetor did Ford introduce in the early 1980s?

Variable Venturi

-----------------

What styling feature did the 1958 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan have?

"ribbed roof" indentation "lines", about the size of your little finger, which ran, basically, between the front windshield and rear glass

----------------

First use of "integrated" factory air conditioning in a full-size Ford?

1965 all prior full-size factory a/c units were "under-dash"

------------------

Which Ford was advertised as "Quieter than a Rolls-Royce"?

1965 Ford (Galaxie 500) LTD

-------------------

What design feature was unique to the 1958 Thunderbird, not to be see on Fords until the 1965 model year?

Coil spring rear suspension

-----------------

What was the name of Ford's "replacement parts" brand of parts, pre-MotorCraft?

Rotunda

------------------------

What brand of spark plugs did Ford feature in the 1950s-60s?

AutoLite

-------------------

What was the first year the name "Mustang" was attached to a Ford vehicle, production or otherwise?

1962 A two-seat roadster, in the European orientation, which was featured in several automobile magazines of that year. Color? White with blue stripes

--------------------

The Henry Ford Estate is now an operating unit of which university?

University of Michigan

--------------------

Happy Holidays!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

I have asked this question before and some people will disagree; what is the first year for a starter in a Ford? most will say 1919 but they had them in 1917 and 18 in the Ford WWI tank. You wouldn't want to send a soldier out to crank it if it stalled in the middle of the battle.

Another tricky question is; What was the first year for an overhead engine in a Ford? Most will say 1954 but the six was overhead in 1952.

What innovative-design 2bbl carburetor did Ford introduce in the early 1980s?

Variable Venturi

While not introduced by Ford, I had a carburetor on my 1912 Ford T that had a variable venturi. It was made by D&B Brass Carburetor Co. in Connecticut and was one of the best carbs I ever used on that car.

Frank

Thank you everyone for your trivia input. You provided some excellent questions.

I used Google but was looking for that trivia you only find out when you are restoring a car and doing research-those interesting odd and obscure facts.

Thanks again

The Maverick was a normal "fall season" introduction, whereas the Mustang was a 1964 1/2 "spring season" introduction?

The Maverick was introduced on April 17, 1969 as a 1970 model. It sold over 579,000 units for the 1970 model year (more than any model year production of the Mustang), but of course that was over an 18 month period. If you combine 1964 1/2 and 1965 Mustang production (thereby comparing the first 18 months production of both models), it sold 680,989 units.

Ford Maverick .com

http://home.comcast.net/~petebre/maverick/

Guest billybird

First year for first V-8?- 1932

What year did Henry Ford die?- 1946

First year for column shift? - 1940

How long was the flathead engine used?- 1932-1953 { U.S. }

This is a hard question to Google. Very few sites give the actual dollar amount offered. All agree that Ford wanted cash. So far, I have found two answers and I am not sure which one is right.

1. Late in 1909 bankers turn down William Durant's request for a loan to buy Ford Motor Company for about $9.5 million.

2. Durant worked out a deal to buy the Ford Motor Company for $2 million in cash, plus an additional $4 Million paid out over three years, at 5-percent interest. Billy pitched the deal to his company’s board of directors on October 26, 1909, and they approved, IF he could get the financing. However, the banks said, “NO!”

This is a hard question to Google. Very few sites give the actual dollar amount offered. All agree that Ford wanted cash. So far, I have found two answers and I am not sure which one is right.

1. Late in 1909 bankers turn down William Durant's request for a loan to buy Ford Motor Company for about $9.5 million.

2. Durant worked out a deal to buy the Ford Motor Company for $2 million in cash, plus an additional $4 Million paid out over three years, at 5-percent interest. Billy pitched the deal to his company’s board of directors on October 26, 1909, and they approved, IF he could get the financing. However, the banks said, “NO!”

Do you still want more trivia, such as regarding Ford the man??

D.

Guest Bob Call

Who is the oscar, emmy, grammy and golden globe award winning actor comedian whose late father was a regional VP of Ford Motor Company?

Robin Williams

Guest Dave Boyer
The Maverick was introduced on April 17, 1969 as a 1970 model. It sold over 579,000 units for the 1970 model year (more than any model year production of the Mustang), but of course that was over an 18 month period. If you combine 1964 1/2 and 1965 Mustang production (thereby comparing the first 18 months production of both models), it sold 680,989 units.

Ford Maverick .com

http://home.comcast.net/~petebre/maverick/

Yes, I should have said 1969 , it was a long day. I should know it my heart, I own 3, and have had over 15 now. :)

What was unique about Ford V-8 spark plugs in the 1960s, compared to spark plugs for other vehicles? 18mm hex rather than 14mm hex reputed to have more space between the ground electrode ceramic than the similar 14mm plugs did, for greater fouling resistance.

As some engines had a tendency to put stuff between the ceramic and the inner surface of the outer shell, the greater space in the Ford-spec plug would take longer to fill up.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

First year for first V-8?- 1932

What year did Henry Ford die?- 1946

First year for column shift? - 1940

How long was the flathead engine used?- 1932-1953 { U.S. }

You might want to look that one up. I believe that Henry Ford died in 1947(the year I was born).

John R.

Guest PackardV8

What was the name of the controversial book that Old Man Ford authored???? Google this one or ask an old Ford man.

What was the name of the newspaper he supported????? Dearborn Centinell.

The book was called, "The International Jew: The World's Foremost Problem". None of it was written by Ford, but he allowed his name to be used as author.

The newspaper was called the Dearborn Independent and Henry Ford was the publisher.

I'm only the messenger, please don't shoot me.

Who built in the 1930's the Soviet Union's first modern automobile plant in Gorki??? Henry Ford.

This factory produced trucks in the 50's and 60's used by North Korea and North Vietnam.

D.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

So many questions can be formed around Fordlandia.

What is it?

Where is it?

Why was it?

Did Henry ever visit?

No, Henry never visited it, but his ghost was seen haunting the people who visited " The island of innocence " !!

Don

Good Old Henry, hands and feet everywhere.

Perhaps too easy of a chestnut, but a common misperception:

Was the Model T only painted black? (Henry rumored to have said Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black).

No: From 1909-early 1913 painted in various colors (originally bright red, later dark blue, green, and I think some body styles French grey for awhile); again in 1926-27 when duco lacquer came about (maroon, green, and maybe others)

From late 1913/early 1914 - 1925 this statement was true--only black.

Edited by 36chev (see edit history)