Hobby or Lifestyle?

Here is something of interest. Monday morning here in the office a couple of us were talking and I was asked if I took the car out for a spin on such a nice weekend. Of course the answer was yes and I related how a bad condenser delayed us about 15 minutes during the trip between diagnosis and repair (I always carry spare parts and tools). Someone else remarked as a question, "this is a hobby?". Another fellow remarked "It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle" which got me thinking. Are we a hobby or really a lifestyle? Your thoughts?

Good question - should be an interesting thread. For the vast majority of our members, I think that it is just a hobby. For some of us however, we've let it become more of a lifestyle since it is a primary focus of our interest and our activities are almost entirely predicated on old car functions. This would also apply to some of the "professionals" who make a living supporting the hobby and at the same time are involved in the hobby for personal reasons. And then there are the dedicated individuals who make judging their lifestyle as well as their hobby. Interesting thought.

If we describe our affection and interest in antique and historic vehicles as a hobby, the rest of the world will never take us seriously. Ours is a mission to preserve the history and authenticity of the automobile, an invention that has done more to advance the economy of the world than any other. The enjoyment, satisfaction, and yes frustration that we sometimes experience in accomplishing this mission is secondary to our main purpose! How else can I explain my innate desire to own every Packard that I see?

Guest rcirilli

For me it started as a hobby, I gave a weekend a month to it. Then somewhere without me knowing it everything I did in those other weekends and evenings began to die out. One day I woke up and realized that the best thing in my life was the fellowship of AACA. I think that day was in 1985 when after loosing a job and relocating I realized that AACA was the only constant in my life. After that I had a need to be involved. I have always loved the automobile but at one time I thought it was to get from point A to B and pick up chicks. Actually neither of those things were accomplished very well in the early days. It is certainly a lifestyle now.

And me every 1934-1949 Buick straight 8 I see. A local regional club member said to me recently, "not all of us live and breath old cars every minute of the day like you do?" So, I think it is both, as Ronbarn said. With occasional family distractions, home building, travel and real female interests; even some time out for Lionel trains and rhythem & blues, I must say that since I was about six years old, the cars of the thirties and forties and sometimes the fifties have been my absolute mainstay lifelong interest. This spans the cut-out paper cars 'til 10, to model cars 'till 16, to real cars in 1955 when I got my '39 Buick. Cars of those years have been my lifetime interest and avocation. So for me, you can say it's been a lifestyle.

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Hi all, It can be like a religion, I know too many people who have spent more time at shows on a given Sunday than a church all year. SalG

As I approach the twilight of my long and happy life, I am increasingly persuaded that car shows are good for the soul; and that churches are best avoided.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SalG:<BR><B>Hi all, It can be like a religion, I know too many people who have spent more time at shows on a given Sunday than a church all year. SalG</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

After having read the discussion here, I felt compelled to share with all of you a tidbit I included in my August newsletter.<BR>Those of you who get it will recognize it but for those of you who aren't privy to it, "When it comes to old cars, there is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'" <BR>Patt

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Tod, I am just pointing out that some people have taken the hobby to a form of religion. People need to balance religion, if they are so inclined, with the hobby. I also know of people who have put the hobby before family or business concerns. I know people that are no longer married because of the hobby. They have spent too much time, money, emotions in the hobby. The best is a blend of family in the hobby. SalG

SalG ~~ And I was attempting to be funny...<P>There are lots of pulls in one's life: Family, friends, work, hobbies, civic duty. Finding the balance that works for you can be difficult. And the balance that worked in your life in the past may not be appropriate for where you are now.

Being "just a hobby" for too many people almost killed this hobby in the late '80's and early '90's. When people thought that buying and selling cars was little different than stamps or beanie babies we wound up with vehicles that were too valuable to be vehicles. I think the only winners out of that mess was the trailer manufacturers. frown.gif<P>Sometimes there can be a silver lining in a market crash! <P>I believe that, while this is a hobby by the strictest definition, on the whole it is more a uniting force among people who share a celibratory aspect in their lives revolving around personal freedom. That is why we seem to be such a cantankerous bunch so much of the time, we chafe at the limits of our freedom. <P>Our cars represent an ability and expression of freedom that, while taken for granted by most people today, is simply unprecidented among men (and women). I know what the Hamptons look like, and Deal, NJ, and the Petrified Forest, and redwoods, etc., all because of the cars of my past. That old cars mean so much to me is almost certainly rooted in that history.<P>The car isn't my god or my church, but it's at least an embodiment of one of the best aspects of the life I got from my god. And therefore I think it's appropriate to be in my car on Sunday, and I usually am. smile.gif

When I was a child I always loved to see and to ask questions about antique cars. But, it was only a dream and a strong desire for the future.<P>Last year I decided to buy an antique car. I was 24 years old, so when I expressed this decision to my friends and my family they became impressed, because they did not understand this interest. Now, I have lots of friends with the same interest that I did not have last year here in Brazil and in other countries. I spend my weekends happilly driving or working on them.<P>So I realise that antique cars is not only a hobby, it is far more than that. It is a way to integrate people, independly of the age or nationality.<P>Julio Albernaz

OK guys, Hal just made me read the discussion on 4-cylinder firing order, and then he said, "I'm going to my shop", and left me sitting here on the AACA website. BIG mistake, ugh? To answer the question, I think it is a lifestyle. A good example is owning an OLD Harley. I can't tell you how many times we have gone out to ride, only to discover some MINOR repairs need to be done first. Of course we do these willingly and ride off into the sunset. This is just part of our lifestyle. We wouldn't know what to do if it didn't need this TLC on a semi-regular basis. " I would rather push a Harley than ride a Honda", is a famous saying among motocyclist but it says a lot. Wouldn't you rather push your "T" or "A" than drive a Lexus to Hershey? <BR> America is famous for our cars actually being part of our personality. We identify ourselves with bumber stickers, license plates, and even window sitckers. Ever notice how you can sit at a redlight and tell what religious beliefs, political views, and even language preference the person in the car in front of you have?<BR>It's a hobby when you plan vacations and weekends around CAR events, and spend ALL your extra money for something you just HAVE to get for your car. ( It's a lifestyle when you have a SPECIAL bank account for just such times). smile.gif

Clincher:<P>When in Vietnam from June '69 through December '70, I witnessed no less than 7 people with the same belief suddenly get Religion within their last breaths.<P>You must be a gamler.<P><BR>

I like what SalG had said. The Lord says "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me." I think this is a problem (when a hobby becomes a lifestyle) with many people today, whatever the hobby is. I have an old Buick. I enjoy owning this car & tinkering around with it. But I must have a proper perspective with the other areas in my life. While the old Buick is a nice thing to have, it won't be my ticket to Heaven. Only Jesus Christ is my way there. Putting God first doesn't just mean going to church every Sunday. It's first of all trusting Christ as your only way of salvation, and then living for Him in all areas of life...at home, at work, at play. This gives me peace about knowing my future when I someday pass from this life...something my Buick will never give. I may have "rubbed" some people the wrong way, and maybe some may think I've gotten too "deep" for a discussion forum such as this, but I believe this person raised a profound question and it needed to be addressed.

Let us not get preachy here. This is supposed to be an old car forum and not a revival meeting. For those who do not subscribe to the philosophy that Jesus Christ is the only path to salvation and eternal life, the recent post on this thread along those lines is offensive. Even though today is Sunday, please keep your preaching to yourself. Keep your religious beliefs within your heart. They have no place on this forum.

Good Grief! What next?<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom O:<BR><B>I like what SalG had said. The Lord says "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me." I think this is a problem (when a hobby becomes a lifestyle) with many people today, whatever the hobby is. I have an old Buick. I enjoy owning this car & tinkering around with it. But I must have a proper perspective with the other areas in my life. While the old Buick is a nice thing to have, it won't be my ticket to Heaven. Only Jesus Christ is my way there. Putting God first doesn't just mean going to church every Sunday. It's first of all trusting Christ as your only way of salvation, and then living for Him in all areas of life...at home, at work, at play. This gives me peace about knowing my future when I someday pass from this life...something my Buick will never give. I may have "rubbed" some people the wrong way, and maybe some may think I've gotten too "deep" for a discussion forum such as this, but I believe this person raised a profound question and it needed to be addressed.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Hi all, Some people have gotten into what I said a little too deep. I have seen people who have put shows before family and friends also. They miss events to be at a show and tell the same stories to the same people, and love it. SalG

Man, oh Man, things get hot here somtimes shocked.gif I have to add my two cents, I am 42 yrs old and it used to be a life style. Now, not hardly, I have a three year old and I just want to do as many things as I can with him and his Mom. I guess he could be beside me hours on end in the garage, but I just keep it to a minimum and spend the time I used to be up to my elbows in a car, out at the park, walking around the block, even roaming though a car show, with no ties, no worrying about if the car is done or waxed good enough, just having FUN. Not to knock the "life style" group, I am sure that you can balance it out, I just had a hard time doing that. smile.gif<P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.

Libertarian, You didn't came to an old car forum with that moniker. Your name shouldn't change with the topic! Myold57 or 48flow, or what ever, can make a political statment too! Jeez, I don't understand how a post mentioning a religous faith or a belief that encompasses ones family is attacked. The left need to practice what they preach (pardon the pun grin.gif)and dare I say it, "celibrate diversity". What comes next racial slurs? If the "preaching" was in every topic and was clouding the forum, I see your point, let's stick to the subject. But a comment or two that is in keeping with the subject (remember the subject?) I see no point in beating someone up for their beliefs. smile.gif <P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.<p>[This message has been edited by MARTINSR (edited 09-04-2000).]

LIBERTARIAN, I just couldn't leave this alone. I have to get in your head so I can understand. I can't for the life of me figure out where the heck does the work "offensive" fit into someone telling you about their love of God over a material thing in the drive way! How the heck is this "offensive"? OFFENSIVE, no four letter words were spoken, no dirty names, just a few lines about Christianity. How does the left forget what they preach (there is that word again, hope I am not too offensive) and "celibrate" others differences. OFFENSIVE, they are words, you don't even have to READ them! They are not stuffed down your throat,JEEZ. I want an explaination! email me, and tell me how the heck is it OFFENSIVE? And look it up in the dictionary before you do so I don't have to expain it to you. <P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.

This Libertarian guy must like Jesse Jackson and the NAACP. His comments sound just like theirs, So i'm figuring he belongs to the National Organiztion of Offended People. The ones that if you don't see things their way you are offensive to them. They forgot there is more than one side to the fence. They are the ones who find everything offensive. We had a good example here in NC the other day. A black board member got mad at a white reporter over a question that should not have been a problem. He started acting like a two year old. The reporter called him boy due to his actions. The board member took it as a racial slur and threw a chair at the reporter. <BR>As far as religion goes, we can't teach Christian faith in schools. How comes we can teach buddism, muslium, etc.? (please forgive the spelling.) Aren't they religions just like the Christian faith? What makes them politically correct and the Christain faith not? Just a point to ponder.<BR>If this country would simply calm down and not take everything so offesviely, and not try to smother other peoples right to free speech, we would be a better nation. We spend too much time squabbling between each other when we could be doing something to help a fllow citizen instead of tearing someone aprt over something they said. If you don't like what they are saying, don't listen. If i was in a place where an other religion is praying, even though I don't agree with them, I'll be queit and respect their religion. I try to respect other people but will admit sometimes there is a time to step on toes like when they don't return the respect for other people's religon.<p>[This message has been edited by novaman (edited 09-04-2000).]

Ain't America Great! We have all these freedoms and we can DF (verb) about whether or not we have an old car hobby or lifestyle. But then there are those sensitive types who see PC problems in way too many aspects of America today. Left, Right, or otherwise if you don't like what someone says or believes, have your say and move on.

Dave, I don't know if you are refering to me and think I am on the far "right", but I will tell you, I am very middle of the road. That's what burns me up, someone makes a few comments on the Love of THEIR God and someone else calls it "offensive". THAT my friend is out of line! I too get turned off by bible thumpers, but when someone just simply says a few comments and is then basicly told to "shut their mouth" by an anonymous post, that is wrong. <P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.

WOW! Has this thread taken a turn. My personal opinion is that religion and old cars are inseperable. For example, how many times have you said: "please God, just get me to that gas station before the car stalls" or upon finding a clogged fuel filter saying: " oh Jesus, why now?". And lets not forget calling out Gods name when working underneath the car and banging one's head or scraping knuckles! In fact the only time I refer to Satan is when describing the guy who designed the wiring schematic or speedometer placement in my car!<P>On the (more) serious side, I think what is coming across is that depending on your priority (kids, family, spouse), it becomes either a lifestyle or a hobby. I also think the guys who sacrifice all for a car show are beyond both hobby and lifestyle, having become category 3: obsession.<P>

grin.gif big grin.gif Chris brings it back to reality. Hey CHris, why aren't you registered? Just click on "register" at the top right of the page under "post new topic". smile.gif<P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.

Martin, my (second) biblical posting was in support of yours, not criticising it. <P>And as for the family responsibility sacrifices being made out there for the sake of the hobby, if I see one more parent ignoring a screaming, overheated and neglected toddler in a wagon or stroller walking through a 95 degree swap meet; I'm going to pop 'em right in the mouth. That's not obsession, it's just plain selfish! mad.gif

Sorry Dave, I just thought that you were refering to my being TOO far right. blush.gif On another forum there was a posted topic on the morons who bring kids to the races, we're talking INFANTS. There were some real horror stories, makes you want to cry. frown.gif <P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

novaman, MARTINSR, Chris NJ, Amen, great coments, see what I started. People are taking things too serious here. Maybe we should switch from old cars as a hoby, life style, religion to old cars as a political statement. Remember what they say, stay away from politics and religion. SalG

Aww, come on Sal! No politics? No religon? What are we going to talk about? Cars??? wink.gif<P>O.K. I know, who's had sex in their antique car lately? I want positions, graphic descriptions and photos if possible. (After this if there's one more posting on this thread, it's read at your own risk!)

Thank Goodness! At last we finally seem to be getting back on track.<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave@Moon:<BR><B>Aww, come on Sal! No politics? No religon? What are we going to talk about? Cars??? wink.gif<P>O.K. I know, who's had sex in their antique car lately? I want positions, graphic descriptions and photos if possible. (After this if there's one more posting on this thread, it's read at your own risk!) </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>