BRAKE PROBLEM - Pedal gets harder, tighter, locks

Marty Roth

Hi Danny -- GUMBO ??

Cajun (French Acadian derivation) culture cooking is all about wonderful tasting foods from what was found near-by in the fields, waterways, etc.

A "Gumbo" is a mixture, essentially a thick soup, including several different items - it could be a seafood gumbo, or just about anything else, with rice added in generally after it is served. The soup, like so many other cajun dishes, starts with a roux. This is flour and oil with seasonings mixed in. The longer it is cooked, the darker the roux. Once the roux is prepared - add water to make the soup base, and then add in your chicken or fish, or crab, or shrimp, or oysters or sausage (smoked or other) from deer, pork, or beef, blended and cooked down to simmer - the longer - the better! A good mixture!

Now that the brakes seem correct, we can drive to where we can enjoy good gumbo.

Thanks for asking - I'm sure other folks wondered, but hadn't got around to asking.

Edited by Marty Roth
typo(s) (see edit history)

Guest De Soto Frank

Sounds promising Marty !

Loved the bit about the local Christmas traditions down there !

So do folks set-out a bowl of gumbo and a cold Sazerac for Pere Noel when he stops by ? ;)

DeSoto Frank,

Pere Noel (appearing as his designated driver, Marty) will pass by Scranton in August en route to the Founders Tour in Altoona for that gumbo and Sazerac - or maybe just a Yingling. If his brakes work he'll stop.

By the way, we also serve chicken -- it tastes just like alligator.

Guest De Soto Frank
DeSoto Frank,

Pere Noel (appearing as his designated driver, Marty) will pass by Scranton in August en route to the Founders Tour in Altoona for that gumbo and Sazerac - or maybe just a Yingling. If his brakes work he'll stop.

By the way, we also serve chicken -- it tastes just like alligator.

I'd look forward to a visit from Pere Noel and his favorite chauffeur...

:cool:

Guest hausdok

Look at the pushrod that enters the master again. Are you absolutely certain that there is no way to adjust the length? Did you examine it closely when the master was off? 40 years ago when I was employed as a mechanic we had a similar problem with a lot of Toyotas. It turned out that someone at the factory had incorrectly adjusted the pushrod length on thousands of cars before the issue was discovered. If you had new internal parts installed in the master, perhaps the recess for the push rod is slightly shallower than the one in the original. You need to have a little clearance there.

Mike O'Handley

Kenmore, Washington

hausdok@msn.com

Edited by hausdok (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

It seems that the problem is solved.

I happened to spot the reversed stop plate and the pushrod on the "wrong" side of it - only noted it because there was no free-play while off the car, after reassembly before shipping to another expert.

Thanks to all who took the time to offer advice and support.

The 1937 Roadmaster convertible sedan is mostly original, and drives like it did when it was in Parade service for the City of New York for Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia, and in so many "Ticker-Tape" Parades.

We are still looking for photos of the car with VP Harry Truman, FDR, Gen. Eisenhower, Gen. MacArthur, and Winston Churchill.

Marty

post-54863-143138801876_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138801878_thumb.jpg

How close to the master cylinder is the exhaust pipe? This happended to me and I made a heat shield to clamp on to the exhaust pipe and it shielded the heat from the master and I cured my problem. Ron B.:)

It was facinating to read this thread! From the beginning of the problem ... to the final solution, you bunch of people showed me what the AACA is all about! I have seen gripes and grumbles about this and that in other threads ... but what I have seen going on in this thread ... well I feel awful good about this place.

On a side note ... thank you Marty for sharing the local lore about Père Noel. My being from the northern tundra ... this french Acadian was not aware of the southern variant of the Père Noel's mode of transportation. I will sleep a little wiser tonight.

Thank you.

PS: Please excuse my spelling/grammar ... English is not my first language.

GaWajn,

Thank you for your thoughts and very kind comments.

You are correct -- I came to this FORUM with a problem and shared my concerns --- many people with many differing areas of expertise shared comments, and they followed the progress --

Genuine concern for another hobbiest -- others with a similar problem -- but all toward helping.

We are truly an International Community, but we all speak the same language of OLD CAR SPEAK ----

and I can assure all that your flawless English is by far superior to my French, or even Cajun French as it evolved from Acadian French. When we travel in your part of Canada, people see our Louisiana License plate, and assume we are conversant -- we disappoint them, but they seem pleased to learn that at one time my wife did teach at the Academie Sacre Coeur (Academy of the Sacred Heart) in New Orleans and the cloistered order at Grand Coteau, Louisiana.

Canadians seem to enjoy visiting Louisiana to spend time in New Orleans and Lafayette, especially this time of the year when our daytime tempeature hovers between 70 - 75 degrees, and our nights drop to the low 60s with relatively low humidity.

Again, I appreciate your comments, and hope you will continue to be involved in the FORUM

• 2 months later...
Guest gmorse

This may be a foolish over simplification, but are you sure the vent hole in the master cylinder cap is open? If it is not, pressure will build up in the master, causing these symptoms. Of course, if you were to loosen the cap when you experience the brakes dragging, if the hole is plugged, it will temporarily "cure" the problem.

Just my thoughts. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Gary

gmorse,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. If you read post number 89, you will see that Marty got this problem solved back in January. Another case of a long discussion with a happy ending brought about by a suggestion from a fellow hobbyist who read about the problem on the AACA Discussion Forum.